• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #41: Kathy Rain

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Mikekelly - 15 February 2017 03:39 AM

If I could give likes on this site, I’d give two to the person who posted this (and another post he made also).

His name is Tim, by the way.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 12 February 2017 01:42 PM

Unless anyone else has any objection my thought was that the thread can now be un-pinned in the next couple of days – TimovieMan has all of the playthroughs listed within the permanently pinned post near the top of the AG Forum page : Game recommendations and important/popular threads, so just scroll down to it if you want to add any more ideas/revelations about the game in the future after the playthrough disappears off of the page if not before!  Laughing

Unpinning now.

Here’s the link to the playthrough list.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 13 February 2017 02:58 PM

Just to add Tim, after registering you only need to click on ‘AGS Awards votes’ (at the top of the page) to get to the voting! Smile

Well I tried to register so I could vote. There is this list of off-the-wall questions you must answer after you’ve read the FAQs. I repeatedly come up one answer short. Really not worth the additional effort. And, whomever at AGS thought this would be a fun way to attract new members ought to be taken out to the barn and get whacked with his daddy’s belt.

If anybody finds a way to hack the system, you have my permission to vote Kathy Rain on my behalf in all appropriate categories.

Just sorry I couldn’t do it myself.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 16 February 2017 09:18 PM

If anybody finds a way to hack the system, you have my permission to vote Kathy Rain on my behalf in all appropriate categories.

The appropriate categories being the ones in which you have played all the games.

Which would be, in your case - none of them.

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 16 February 2017 09:18 PM
chrissie - 13 February 2017 02:58 PM

Just to add Tim, after registering you only need to click on ‘AGS Awards votes’ (at the top of the page) to get to the voting! Smile

Well I tried to register so I could vote. There is this list of off-the-wall questions you must answer after you’ve read the FAQs. I repeatedly come up one answer short. Really not worth the additional effort. And, whomever at AGS thought this would be a fun way to attract new members ought to be taken out to the barn and get whacked with his daddy’s belt.

Just sorry I couldn’t do it myself.

ANYBODY…? Down with rules and ethics. You are in fact asking for a busload of illegal immigrants to cross the forum border and vote for your favorite game! Oh wait, no, that was the developer who wants his game to win at all costs and conveniently forgot to mention his forum’s rules. 

I have half a mind to register myself and let the forumites over there know what’s going on here.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It does sadden me when a lovely playthrough such as this one concludes with some very ugly posts but made all the worse as they were only from members here that didn’t actively participate.  Naughty

I personally see no problem whatsoever with a developer who was good enough to participate,  canvassing for votes for their game & alerting to us on where we could show our appreciation, if we so wished, by linking us to the AGS Awards. Yes, you re expected before voting to have experienced other games in the categories which Joel later did explain.
It’s not my place to defend another member but I took rtrooney’s post with a pinch of salt as I perceived it just as an ‘unmeant throwaway’ comment to express sheer frustration at, yes, the stupid hoops you have to jump through to register on AGS, & not a comment meant to be taken seriously in my mind!

But hang on here!  – we’ve now got the Aggie Awards - Readers’ Choice poll so, how many players before casting your votes have played all 115? games?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 17 February 2017 10:20 AM

It does sadden me when a lovely playthrough such as this one concludes with some very ugly posts.

Your double standards sadden me, Chrissie.

I personally see no problem whatsoever with a developer who was good enough to participate,  canvassing for votes for their game & alerting to us on where we could show our appreciation, if we so wished, by linking us to the AGS Awards. Yes, you re expected before voting to have experienced other games in the categories which Joel later did explain.

Yes, he did. He’s still trolling for votes. That’s not FAIR to the other contestants, don’t you see that?

It’s not my place to defend another member

Double standards again, I see…

but I took rtrooney’s post with a pinch of salt as I perceived it just as an ‘unmeant throwaway’ comment to express sheer frustration at, yes, the stupid hoops you have to jump through to register on AGS, & not a comment meant to be taken seriously in my mind!

Don’t tell me you took my “busload of illegal immigrants” seriously.

But hang on here!  – we’ve now got the Aggie Awards - Readers’ Choice poll so, how many players before casting your votes have played all 115? games?

Oh please! There’s NO rule at AG saying we should play all the games or we can’t vote. You won’t hear a peep out of me if the developer of Kathy Rain urges his fellow developers to vote for Kathy Rain here. HIS forum is essentially for developers, not for players.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Please never come out with sentences to include accusations of ‘double standards’  without examples to back them up.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Thanks chrissie for a wonderful leadership of this playthrough! I really mean it, your “retrospective” is something that should be the standard for every playthrough in the future, especially when the game has no built-in diary.

As for me, the game-breaker moment was at the start of the second chapter, after I failed to write down the instructions to hack the computer - I still think it should have been mentioned in the notebook for us to reference it later as needed… but in reality I was just too lazy to load the earlier save or continue playing due to the lack of time. The story seemed interesting enough so I’ll be keeping Kathy Rain on my hard disk (Yay!! another one!) and I’m looking forward for the next offering from the same team. And thanks for joining us, Joel!!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

chrissie - 17 February 2017 12:11 PM

And I’ve got something else to say: Karlok & Oscar - neither of you participated in the playthrough & between you, you managed to turn the thread sour - (are you married to each other?) but whatever.

Be fair chrissie, that’s not true. I played the game when it was released and made several posts in this thread about the game itself, and a post politely asking to respect another forum’s voting rules. It seems both went unappreciated.

What turned the thread sour was several members blatantly disrespecting a fellow forum’s rules for something I could see they took quite seriously. That is disappointing to see, in what is supposed to be a friendly community.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It was still a great playthrough - most of us had fun. One of the best ever in fact. Sure - we had a little bickering at the end - but it really was no big deal.

And no, the post I was hinting at was not from Tim. It was so very blunt I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Anyway, can’t wait for the next one - I think I’ve got enough time to play Kathy one more time before the next CPT - yes I loved it that much.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Is it seriously too much to ask for a thread without drama?  Jumping into a thread and creating all this nonsense, and then attacking the developer of the game who was gracious enough to join in.  And it’s far from the first time this type of thing has happened.

It’s just completely uncalled for.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

diego - 17 February 2017 12:58 PM

Thanks chrissie for a wonderful leadership of this playthrough!

This! So much this. I too have lead a playthrough in the past and know how much work it is. I could tell chrissie really went above and beyond the call of duty with the work she did here. Thank you so much again!

I also want to thank Joel for joining us. He was very kind to reply to my email and drop by. I hope he enjoyed his time here despite some measure of uncalled-for animosity towards the end of thread.

diego - 17 February 2017 12:58 PM

As for me, the game-breaker moment was at the start of the second chapter, after I failed to write down the instructions to hack the computer - I still think it should have been mentioned in the notebook for us to reference it later as needed… but in reality I was just too lazy to load the earlier save or continue playing due to the lack of time. The story seemed interesting enough so I’ll be keeping Kathy Rain on my hard disk (Yay!! another one!) and I’m looking forward for the next offering from the same team. And thanks for joining us, Joel!!

FWIW, you can read the floppy that you get from the hacker to be reminded of the instructions again.

And on a related note, I am very curious about your game completion rate, diego. I lurk more than I post here so I am very familiar with your reputation Tongue I don’t mean any rebuke with this, of course-I know much too well how real life (TM) gets in the way of a good time.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Oscar, yes you did contribute & I’ve deleted part of my post & PMed you as I don’t want to carry on with a row here about the content of your last post which I have a lot of disagreement with & felt that your comments were unfair too. 

But thank you again all that have posted your very encouraging comments & I couldn’t have hoped for a nicer group of participants who make me feel that I did a half-decent job here but, it was such an interesting game too which helped a lot for me to be motivated to invest such a lot in the playthrough.  Smile

diego, I spent an evening playing a lot of your lovely YT music videos to an unsuspecting friend who was very impressed! So, if you fall behind in any playthrough that I lead you’re forever forgiven - well just as long as there’s more music!    Laughing

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 17 February 2017 12:11 PM

Please never come out with sentences to include accusations of ‘double standards’  without examples to back them up.

You don’t need my examples, I see you already deleted some of your comments.

But to be fair to you, and to the other participants, I should have been more considerate and I apologize for souring the playthrough, as you called it. That does not mean I apologize for what I said to the developer. I stand by that. And I find it interesting that all the other people who criticized my post(s) managed to ignore the *content*.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top