• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Henk61

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

General Gaming News Thread

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 17 January 2017 01:43 PM

Yakuza 0 releasing next week!

Launch day edition is already here
Back logged for Summer drought

have you seen this??

Badassery
Glad there is lot of content ~ 70 hrs

Its password driven coop, how about we coop it together
Souls skills getting shit with age

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 17 January 2017 02:04 PM

have you seen this??

Badassery

Prepare to die…
I probably won’t be able to play it until Summer Smile
List of backlog games from Q1 will be:
Yakuza 0, Nier Automata, NiOh, RE7, Horizon, Mass Effect, Little Nightmares, Persona 5

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 17 January 2017 02:39 PM
nomadsoul - 17 January 2017 02:04 PM

have you seen this??

Badassery

Prepare to die…
I probably won’t be able to play it until Summer Smile

Me neither
But i m in a tight spot anyway if i dont have plus for multi
ME will delay i reckon

Persona5

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

@soccerdude

Its not EA only UE4 is done for too

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

6hrs in RE7
Was not expecting much, uptill now 10/10
Not sure how capcom pulled it
But true survival horror is back and its not outlast

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I forgot one game for the first quarter backlog - Ghost Recon Wildlands - I thought it was delayed

Cool John McTiernan commercial:

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Cyanide can probably nail it!

Grush2 accolades

Makes zelda shading looks ps3

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 19 January 2017 07:57 AM

Well, isn’t Zelda for a PS3-like hardware?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 19 January 2017 08:37 AM
nomadsoul - 19 January 2017 07:57 AM

Well, isn’t Zelda for a PS3-like hardware?

Reggie will like to have a word with you

Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Damn good skills , like a champ

Last chance trial ver is on PSN for weekend if anyone wants to grab and test the next
Masocore event in gaming

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

2 part great short Doc by Gamespot on evolution of RE
Horror game Devs on influence of ResidentEvil

Must see for Horror fans esp RE fans
No spoilers and oh boy i was right on Survival horror vs horror (5:33 in 2nd video)

Tongue

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 21 January 2017 12:26 PM

and oh boy i was right on Survival horror vs horror (5:33 in 2nd video)

“The means to fight back”??? “Overcome your fears”????

He’s got it DEAD WRONG. And he’s looking at it from a developer’s point, which is just as wrong.
The goal in survival horror is to survive, not to fight back and overcome.
If you have the means to fight back and overcome things, it’s very likely going to be action horror (or yet another non-survival combo). His mention of limited resources seems like an aside, while it’s the main element that would make an otherwise action horror a survival horror.

Basically, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 21 January 2017 07:22 PM
nomadsoul - 21 January 2017 12:26 PM

and oh boy i was right on Survival horror vs horror (5:33 in 2nd video)

“The means to fight back”??? “Overcome your fears”????

He’s got it DEAD WRONG. And he’s looking at it from a developer’s point, which is just as wrong.

Basically, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Nope, you are missing out on design philosophy
Mikami said same thing in Evilwithin making
Adam sessler points out the materialization of that as cost benefit analysis that you have to do on your moment to moment progress, and its some time useless if you miss head shot or craft an health item instead of bullets
You have to play all these to understand, and its not as simple

(6:50 onwards)

Thats why i mentioned it game design aspect, people who got the term in true sense,
design the game on distribution of stats and ammo in different difficulties that keep you on the edge of seat and best bit is not being able to undo the decision

Thing is when we use the term in our horror community , we instantly get the idea of what it is, just like you guys here dont call new AGs as traditional AGs
So yes you cannot call Clocktower as Survival horror, well you can for casuals who like to stream on net , but for people like us who make topics on AGs design philosophies, there is also major chunk of industry that call Survival horror as subgenre with some different core design, which resonates with many because of Father of SH , Mikami-san

Scarce bullets,health items, fighting back, saves,bosses etc are crucial
As he said you have to balance the whole design like cooking, its not just Hideandseek Amnesia/Outlast plain design based on one factor of stealth and run

You can say he is dead wrong, but he has not only more authority than you but share my train of thought, so there is that

And since we are on topic, yes your Gay term(you mentioned in other thread) is not applicable since its not genre
However if you are treating it as Gay genre(sex), then you cannot say Gay content and put straight content in it, despite both are sexual
So yes Terms of Genres matters, for people who have mass association with it
Thats the reason why Tamoor to Adam as journos, and Outlast/Alien/Deadspace Devs are on the same page in vids above
He even used Sake and wine example in the end of vid
You cannot order Sake and get Sprite
Both are drinks, but some are soft some are hard
You cannot describe and generalize it with using terms like Drinks,and say terms dont matter
No i am ordering Sake and SH from menu, i should get that, neither Sprite nor plain horror(respectively)

Edit

Inb4 he is not Father,

:28

Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 21 January 2017 08:05 PM

Nope, you are missing out on design philosophy

In terms of defining a genre, the design philosophy is irrelevant. If a game is designed to be a survival horror, but doesn’t actually play like one, it’s not a survival horror, no matter what the dev says. If the dev says it’s a comedy, but it’s not funny in the least, no one else is going to call it a comedy, so it’s not going to be a comedy. Same principle.

Thats why i mentioned it game design aspect, people who got the term in true sense,
design the game on distribution of stats and ammo in different difficulties that keep you on the edge of seat and best bit is not being able to undo the decision

The people you claim “get the term in true sense” are also largely using that term as a sales pitch that isn’t necessarily true for the actual game.

Also, you’re using “the term in its true sense” as meaning whatever YOU think it means. Case in point:

You can say he is dead wrong, but he has not only more authority than you but share my train of thought, so there is that

“He agrees with me, therefore he is right.”
Solid argument, that. Wink

So yes you cannot call Clocktower as Survival horror

Sure you can, because IT IS. Heck, both the game’s Wiki page as its fan’s Wikia page start their articles by calling it point-and-click survival horror right out the gate.

which resonates with many because of Father of SH , Mikami-san

Your “many” are a minority. It resonates with a majority of SH fans, not because of Mikami (since frankly, most gamers will know his games but not his name), but because of how SH games work and play, no matter who actually made them.

And since we are on topic, yes your Gay term(you mentioned in other thread) is not applicable since its not genre

Why does it have to be a genre to be applicable? We were talking about the original meaning of a term versus the current one. What that term is, is ultimately irrelevant.

However if you are treating it as Gay genre(sex), then you cannot say Gay content and put straight content in it, despite both are sexual

Lolwut?
So everything is either black or white with you, never grey?

He even used Sake and wine example in the end of vid
You cannot order Sake and get Sprite

But you can order sake and get a form of wine. Sake practically and organoleptically IS wine, rice wine. The difference is a technicality. Both are an alcoholic beverage that’s the result of fermentation of its main ingredient. The difference between sake and wine is just that ingredient (rice vs grapes - vs honey for mead if you want a third example).

No i am ordering Sake and SH from menu, i should get that, neither Sprite nor plain horror(respectively)

Sure, if you order sake from a menu, you should get sake. But if you’re going to compare the terms ‘sake’ and ‘survival horror’, you should probably be using ‘rice wine’ instead of sake, since using sake would by comparison be closer to naming a specific game within the SH genre, than to naming the genre.
And if you ask survival horror from a menu and get regular horror, that would be more akin to asking sake from a menu and getting mijiu instead, not Sprite.
Basically, this comparison wasn’t thought through at all, rendering it useless.

Inb4 he is not Father,

And the father of a genre can’t make any games that are NOT that genre? Or a genre that has a “father” can’t have a “grandfather”?
Hideo Kojima is the father of stealth games. Does that mean that his Snatcher, Policenauts, Zone of Enders and Castlevania games are stealth games too? And just like Resident Evil was preceded by Alone in the Dark and Sweet Home amongst others, Metal Gear was preceded by other stealth games going as far back as 005 in 1981. The title “father” is not only debatable in cases like this, but in your “proof” video, it’s used as a marketing tool, which is obviously something you put way too much stock in.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 21 January 2017 10:04 PM

Inb4 he is not Father,

And the father of a genre can’t make any games that are NOT that genre? Or a genre that has a “father” can’t have a “grandfather”?
Hideo Kojima is the father of stealth games. Does that mean that his Snatcher, Policenauts, Zone of Enders and Castlevania games are stealth games too?

inb4 Castlevania is made by kojima is a typo like Mikumi

No buddy, i think i should stop here , because your wiki research is wrong
No point in arguing when you have audacity to say all Devs are wrong, you also havent played the games in question to comment on their design, its like saying its Ham burger without tasting it, where in fact its a Chicken Burger
We fans have tasted both
I have played all in question including latest RE7(whose Devs said is not Outlast and true SH, and i agree since i finished it)

Its a solid argument for those who played(me) and made(mikumi,capcom) are in same camp against those who did neither(you)

But CV by Kojima clearly shows why you dont care and searching on wiki will eventually lead to that
Games aint movies, you need a taste of game design to know why Mikumi is revered in gaming

since frankly, most gamers will know his games but not his name

Well speak about yourself, he is more well known than you can imagine
He just doesnt like limelight
If he wasnt well known , he wasnt used as Bethesda sales pitch nor hired by Bethesda as only head of Japanese wing(EA gave him same status for Shadowsofthedamned, even though he wasnt involved)

He created Kamiya and Suda , he is all over place, in mind if Devs to fans

because of how SH games work and play, no matter who actually made them.

Have you played RE7 or Evilwithin, mentioned in Vids?
Yet you are comparing it with Clocktower and Outlast
Infact, have you played CT or Outlast?
Game design has certain DNA, heck there is a reason why Akumu mode and Madhouse mode exists, you need to check forums not wiki to check the influence of his design and if gamers know Mikumi
Not only that, he also created certainover the shoulder camera which is now core of majority of games till now, and yes CliffyB to Niel all know who made it and cherish RE4
And to this date same RE4 perfection is hard to master by imitators

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top