• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Early dev - requesting honest (yet gentle) feedback

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

I wasn’t happy with the chosen art style after all, so I decided to change it entirely.

This is the new look: NEW TOONEY LOOK!

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Personally I preferred the original look.  Didn’t seem boring to me at all.  The new look is more boring to me, since so many things try for that toony style.

Tastes vary though.  No idea which would be preferred by a majority.

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2016-09-11

PM

Bitano - 17 January 2017 05:10 AM
Supplementman - 17 January 2017 04:53 AM

I think it looks reasonably well drawn, albeit a little uninteresting. There’s a child in the picture, is it aimed at children? Because I’d imagine they’d have higher expectations when it comes to graphics quality. Middled aged gamers don’t mind dated graphics. If you can’t have the latest graphics, you can make up for it with engrossing story and maybe unusual or even dark themes.

Thanks. Could you perhaps elaborate some on the “uninteresting” part? For instance, the room / scenery will get more details. For now i was mainly wondering whether the art style would suffice before going into more detail. However if you mean something else I’d love to hear it and hopefully improve on it.

As for your other question - the game will not be aimed at children. Without spoiling too much I’m experimenting with the thought of the player not being the controlled character, but more an entity helping the character.
The child is in need of help and you’re the entity directly communicating with him. This also allows for some fun dialogue scenarios between you (the entity) and the child

I suppose it’s more that with hand drawn settings you can draw any period or place in the world or history. Whether it’s Nazi Germany, or Ancient Egypt or Rome or in the future. If it’s key to your story though then fair enough. And the entity/ghost type setting has potential.

I didn’t mean the art style was uninteresting, more the subject for me personally, but it has scope. Although as an entity/ghost controlling a child I do think you’ll end up being seen as a child’s/family game.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I agree with Detective Mosely, the new look is more common and a bit boring to me.

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

Supplementman - 19 January 2017 05:38 AM

I suppose it’s more that with hand drawn settings you can draw any period or place in the world or history. Whether it’s Nazi Germany, or Ancient Egypt or Rome or in the future. If it’s key to your story though then fair enough. And the entity/ghost type setting has potential.

Right. Thanks for clarifying. Yeah is basically the first setting / starting point. Not the most sexy scenery i agree :-).

Supplementman - 19 January 2017 05:38 AM

I didn’t mean the art style was uninteresting, more the subject for me personally, but it has scope. Although as an entity/ghost controlling a child I do think you’ll end up being seen as a child’s/family game.

Your point is a valid one. Thanks! I’ll have to rethink a couple of things.

giom - 19 January 2017 05:38 AM

I agree with Detective Mosely, the new look is more common and a bit boring to me

I wouldn’t have guessed the toony look being more common (looks like i’m out of a particular scene more than i thought ) Tongue
However, having looked at the picture several times I do think the toony style doesn’t quite fit either. I do like the more outspoken (less pastel) colours in the toony version. I’ll experiment some more with it.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

One of the things that really struck me is that the original image didn’t look like a game that was directed at kids at all.  But the second image totally does to me.

I tend to like more serious games, so when I see the more cartoony style of art I tend to think that’s just not going to be my style of game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top