• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 14 January 2017

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Laurie Anderson’s Puppet Motel

Since I’ve never had a chance to see Laurie Anderson perform live, I was interested to see how her performance art would come across as a game. I was not disappointed.  In fact, it’s an ideal venue to get a feel for her work while having fun. 

She has put together, with the help of designer Hsin-Chien Huang, a set of 30 or so strange and wonderful interactive rooms.  As you travel down the main hall of the motel, icons appear on the wall and clicking on one will take you to an often surreal place where you might hear whispering wall outlets, skate in circles while listening to a rhythmic piece of prose or clear a television of static to reveal something to watch.  In each room, you can play with the images, words, or even sounds that might trigger a secret exit into another area.  It’s a very addictive game, and I’ve gone into it several times to see if I can find all the rooms, which I haven’t yet.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks for the description Lady Kestrel - I wasn’t a great fan of Laurie Anderson’s ‘music’ but the game seems to be more interesting!  Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The music in the game suits the atmosphere in each area.  Anderson also has a mesmerizing quality to her voice that drew me into her stories.  The only problem I had with the game was a repeated crash just after the ducks swam by in the shooting gallery.  My used disk has a scratch that might have caused it.  I’ve since gotten another copy but haven’t had a chance to see if it works better.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I had no idea this existed. I only discovered her music a year or so ago and she has a lot of great stuff, so I’ll keep an eye out for this game. Thanks Lady!

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It’s an oldie, Oscar, from 1995.  I have the Macintosh versions by Macromedia and have no idea if it was made for Windows as well.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think there was a re-release for Windows. At least there’s this on archive.org

https://archive.org/details/puppet-motel-1998

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That’s good to know.  Thanks, Wilco.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top