• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckyskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Finished, main plot was cheesy vampire flick, new town is too pleasant, writing is sharp but not anywhere vanilla game.
Huge dlc though, i had threesome in original so Ciri showed up in th end.
Gotto check what other endings are.

Geralt breaks fourth wall asking for break from the series.
Nice touch,  onto Cyberpunk.

Oh yeah there is some wierd Sex scene too, they need to hire better animators and do full mocap of sex scenes.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished Heart oF Stone yesterday, that was excellent. Felt like an adventure game with some combat here and there. Great writing and characters. Made attending a wedding fun, some Ocean’s Eleven out of nowhere and a truly touching ghost story. Nothng else compares to it in the AAA RPG market, just above everyone else.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 07 June 2016 07:22 PM

I finished Heart oF Stone yesterday, that was excellent. Felt like an adventure game with some combat here and there. Great writing and characters. Made attending a wedding fun, some Ocean’s Eleven out of nowhere and a truly touching ghost story. Nothng else compares to it in the AAA RPG market, just above everyone else.

Some of the quests in DLCs touched Witchcoven questline from main game.
Gaunter was amazingly sinister fella with few quest connections in bloodnwine and his theme playing in 2nd dlc gave me gooosebumps. Cdp genius work.
There are plenty of quests in Blood&Wine; that made writing look so easy, nielduckman to levine doesnt hold candle to these cdp guys, they just bring out more like its nobodys business.
Though main quest was meh in 2nd dlc but , wolf Lynx,bruxa,spoon collector,orianna sucking kids stood out most.
I also loved Where the wolf and cats play questline.

So not just AAA,  but indies to AG , Rpgs to Naughtydog or R*, W3 has best storyline,writing,lore,depth since Bloodomen series.
Redoing quests again to take different choices amaze me even more, its more bending with actual outcomes than TTG or other games.
Even i have to take these dlcs alone as competition, it blows ndog or other stories like nothing.

Cdp is gonna kill it with cyberpunk but my main issue is overdone cyberpunk theme in media.
Witcher is slavic,witchcraft/doctor fantasy that is not easy to find,rare and deviates from just political shit like GoT or fantasy shit like Tolkien.
Frim W.gibson to Deusex and Bladerunner to hundred Animes, Cyberpunk has been done to death.
Its gonna be big, epic, high production affair but the setting gonna be familiar.
AI,hackers,androids,man vs machine,vr,tech ethics etc.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Playing GOTY now and Witcher3 feels more amazing thanever.
I was deliberately playing slower than usual coz lots of devils in details can be overlooked and i doubt that for a long time to find possible any same level of story telling direction,visuals or scripts in this medium.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 10 October 2016 12:08 PM

Playing GOTY now and Witcher3 feels more amazing thanever.
I was deliberately playing slower than usual coz lots of devils in details can be overlooked and i doubt that for a long time to find possible any same level of story telling direction,visuals or scripts in this medium.

Not in any medium tbh, W3 and Silvercase were best games story wise i played recently since k7.
And before that SoulReaver,SuikodenV and Torment.

Stories cant get better than this.
Celebrate by listening to this amazing fan cover

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Either you replay or start new GOTY version i recommend some great mods
that makes Witcher more immersive than ever.
nexusmods.com/witcher3

modNoTalkIcon :Removes all floating icon and letters from top of npcs.
modNoDirtyLensEffect:Removes obscuring lens fx.
modTurbolighting:Well balanced lighting for indoor outdoor transition .
modImmersiveCam:Adds follow up cam zoom in&out; option,great for capturing scenic paths or close up shots.
modBetterTorches:Torches won’t vanish while climbing,fighting or even riding horse.
modSensibleMapBorders:Geralt warns you about borders but doesn’t hold you back.

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Comparing the HOS felt some disappointment at the end.B&W really forced the Witcher’s standarts about cliches and maturity,elves shoud have been there i think not vampires.
Mixing vampires with fairytale atmosphere works as good as fasttravelling without a horse.
Anyway here’s my choice of better ending much more old witcher style.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 22 October 2016 10:54 AM

Comparing the HOS felt some disappointment at the end.B&W really forced the Witcher’s standarts about cliches and maturity,elves shoud have been there i think not vampires.
Mixing vampires with fairytale atmosphere works as good as fasttravelling without a horse.

Main vampire questlines were indeed not among Witcher3 best, but some other quests and characters were great.
A Knight’s tale, Spoon collector,Vivienne and Orianna were among my favs in the whole series.
Brilliant and original, times where CDP shows they are in league of their own.

I totally felt similar sentiments, they should have gone Elves or Scoia’tael way instead of cliched Vamps and cheesy love story, esp after high act of ManofGlass in HoS.
Iorveth and new characters would have been amazing fan service.
I hated Letho but he got amazing in w3, like others.
Iorveth w3 rendition would have been cool.
Missed opportunity.

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I think mostly coz of big publishers involment series lost some edge and tone with W3 somewhat hollywoodized at some parts (B&W specially) felt like playing DAO unfortunately.
But as a result worldwide sells quite well and most likely W4 will come with same approach(about 2020 i guess)but doubt that we’ll ever find those intense encounters and moments like with Saskia,Ioverth,Kayran or Letho.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 23 October 2016 05:56 AM

I think mostly coz of big publishers involment series lost some edge and tone with W3 somewhat hollywoodized at some parts (B&W specially) felt like playing DAO unfortunately.
But as a result worldwide sells quite well and most likely W4 will come with same approach(about 2020 i guess)but doubt that we’ll ever find those intense encounters and moments like with Saskia,Ioverth,Kayran or Letho.

DLC spoilers, but great article

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-23-the-making-of-the-witcher-3s-greatest-villain

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

nomadsoul - 22 October 2016 03:21 PM
Gabe - 22 October 2016 10:54 AM

Main vampire questlines were indeed not among Witcher3 best

Yeah. The writing got a bit sloppy there, especially regarding the character of Dettlaff. We’re being told over and over again that he’s not bloodthirsty at all despite his temper; we’re even shown his regret after the first killing.So my belief was that this had to be one of the “good” guys or at least a “grey” guy. I felt a lot of sympathy towards him because he was being used and he really seemed to hurt a lot. But then, bam, out of nowhere, they turn him into a monster that attacks Beauclair - I really hated that part because it felt as if CDPR had included it only to have lots of vampires attack and fight. At that point, I would have liked to be given options, i.e. at least try to prevent the attack on Beauclair by trying to find Syanna and make her talk to Dettlaff. Of course, that would have been anticlimatic so I can see why they didn’t give us that option. Still didn’t like it because the character contradictions really bothered me. Having to fight Dettlaff because I was stupid enough to pick up that red ribbon in Wonderland didn’t make it any better because I didn’t want to. Also, it was pretty tough to get through that one; took me three attempts, I think.

So the main story could have been a lot better but lots of the sidequests totally made up for it. I loved the small, silly stories like Equine Phantoms or the one with the bureaucrats. I loved the new monsters, I loved meeting old enemies like the Barghests and Archespores from Witcher 1. And I loved having my own house Grin And Geralt breaking the fourth wall at the end, looking at the player for a brief instant with a look that seemed to say “Well, here we are, after three games, hundreds of hours, lots of adventures - it’s been quite a ride. Thanks for being with me but you know what? I’m really, really, tired now” Smile

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Super impressed by the goty version all the graphics improvements and bug fixes turns
out as most immersive experience of gaming history.Don’t forget nexus modding community helps lot to make it more engaging ever.

Fav mods nowadays are,
modFamiliarMusic - adds/changes music from earlier Witcher’s soundtrack
modRealtimeflow - in game time synches with your watch
modRealisticWeatherLessWind - less wind,better looking trees
modFastTravelFromRoach - ends run for roadpost signs
modnostory - removes loading screen storybook
modTW2Gear - changes ordinary armors with old Witcher armors

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Hey guys I’m facing have a dilemma with The Witcher 3. I’ve been curious about this game for a while since it has received so many praises but I was always hesitant because I’m not big on RPG or big open world games. My only experience with the genre so far has been the Mass Effect trilogy which became one of the greatest gaming experiences I’ve ever had. However I did feel a little bit overwhelmed specially in ME 1 with the RPG elements and all the sub-quests, and it took me like around 60 hours each to complete, but that was 3 years ago when I still have a lot of time to play. Now with a full time job and more responsibilities I’m not sure I can commit myself to these types of games anymore but I’ve been thinking in giving The Witcher 3 a chance. My question to you guys is, is really the game that good that would merit the time commitment, knowing that I may not be able to play any other game for a while? And if I just focus on main story and normal difficulty how long do you guys think it would take me and would I lose a lot of the experience by rushing through it?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

danigar - 26 March 2017 02:25 PM

1)is really the game that good that would merit the time commitment, knowing that I may be able to play any other game for a while?

2)And if I just focus on main story and normal difficulty how long do you guys think it would take me and would I lose a lot of the experience by rushing through it?

1)Yes, story and characters are awesome, there is nothing like it in that department in recent memory

2)It would take 40hrs anyway atleast since there is lotsa talking, and yes if you want to avoid bad combat , switch to easy

If you give story more importance then jump in

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

nomadsoul - 26 March 2017 05:46 PM
danigar - 26 March 2017 02:25 PM

1)is really the game that good that would merit the time commitment, knowing that I may be able to play any other game for a while?

2)And if I just focus on main story and normal difficulty how long do you guys think it would take me and would I lose a lot of the experience by rushing through it?

1)Yes, story and characters are awesome, there is nothing like it in that department in recent memory

2)It would take 40hrs anyway atleast since there is lotsa talking, and yes if you want to avoid bad combat , switch to easy

If you give story more importance then jump in

Thanks! I think I’m gonna make the jump, even though there’s a batch of games coming that I wanna play but if this proves good enough I guess it won’t matter much.

I forgot one last question though. Are the RPG elements too deep? Like would I be juggling with a lot of statistics/items/upgrades or what not? I loved how in ME 2 and 3 these were kind of stripped down, it was perfect for people like me that want to focus more on story and progression than stats and stuff (And one of the reasons why I’m hesitant with Andromeda). How does it compare to ME in that regard?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top