• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I like the idea. I will get the game tomorrow. Just having the juxtaposition of the four different game authors would draw me in. I know I have played at least one of the Dead Reckoning games and didn’t particularly care for it. So it’s unlikely I would have found this game if you had not mentioned it. SE. If the CE is interesting, but not essential, I will pass.

Great job on the playthrough. Even if my opinion of the game didn’t change, I loved playing it with other people.

Edit: It would appear that this game is only available on CE. Unless you say otherwise, I will wait for the SE. Silver Isle was the game I played, but didn’t like all that much.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Happy page 100!

Laughing

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Woo Hoo!!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

cluelass - 26 November 2016 07:01 PM

One favorite series has recovered after a downturn. A couple of weeks ago I played Dead Reckoning: Death Between the Lines,.
The gameplay is straightforward contemporary mystery genre.

Thanks for the recommendation cluelass - I tried the demo & the game’s right up my street so I bought the full version in a sale today!  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I should know better. I searched for this game on the BFG site, and all it showed was the CE, so I decided to wait for the SE. Then I saw your post. I went back to BFG and looked at the game list, and there it was. Bought it sight unseen based on cluelass’ and you recommendation.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played Dead Reckoning - Death Between the Lines and enjoyed it. I think I will make it my AGSOTD post this Friday, so I won’t go into much detail here. I will say that inventory items do not stay in your inventory very long. You find something, and you have an immediate use for it. I’m not sure it that’s a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand it speeds up the process of getting through the game. On the other hand it seemed a bit contrived. Still, as I said, I liked it. Much more than Silvermoon Isle. The developer, EIPIX, seems to be erratic when it comes to their game design. Some really good. Some, not that good. The same can be said about their Secret Order games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 29 November 2016 06:23 PM

I played Dead Reckoning - Death Between the Lines and enjoyed it. I think I will make it my AGSOTD post this Friday, so I won’t go into much detail here. I will say that inventory items do not stay in your inventory very long. You find something, and you have an immediate use for it. I’m not sure it that’s a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand it speeds up the process of getting through the game.

I’m still playing the game here & there & really enjoying it! BF have another sale today so I’ve picked up a few games that work out cheaper to pay by cash rather than by my post-Brexit subscription/credit exchange rate! The CE’s are a particularly good deal! I bought the SE of MCF Shadow Lake + the CE of the latest MCF game & also the CE of the latest Surface game so I’ve got a few to be getting by on over the next month or so!  Smile

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Some more new games in favorite franchises:
Mystery Case Files: Broken Hour (Eipix)
Beyond: Star Descendant (Mad Head)
Rite of Passage: Deck of Fates (Mad Head)

Are they up to the standard of previous entries? Hint: They are all worth trying the demo, at least. I’ll get around to reviewing RSN. I just want to get my 100th post on the 100th page.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

100th post on the 100th page. Nice! I like the symmetry.

I also downloaded the Beyond and Rite of Passage demos. Haven’t had a chance to play either yet. Maybe this weekend.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Let it be noted that I generally dislike games with kids in them. I am not a mother with under-12 children and I don’t want to pretend to be one. However, it’s ok if they are kidnapped at the beginning and I spend the game chasing them, because I don’t have to listen to their whiny little voices.

So I started Beyond: Star Descendant (Mad Head) with high hopes, given the extra-specialness of Beyond: Light Advent, and seeing that “my” 11-yr-old boy disappears at the beginning. Unfortunately, I not only get him back, I have to depend on him as a helper character every time something is out of reach. Worse, he says something chirpy like “Happy to help, Mom,” every single freakin’ time. Personally, I’d rather have a chihuahua. I think this happens after the demo period, so be warned.

On the other hand, if you are looking for child-friendly games, the storyline might be somewhat disturbing. Basically, eleven years ago, this inter-galactic villain tried to conquer earth. He failed, but he flew off and abandoned his baby boy. (There is no mention of the kid’s biological mother.) “I” found the baby and adopted him, but the villain is trying to get him back. The CE bonus chapter shows the events of 11 yrs ago is more detail.

The scenes and artwork are immersive. There are several environments (spaceport, jungle, amusement park) that are so different it is like starting the game over. I found this slightly off-putting but you might consider it a plus. I would have preferred more scenes in the imaginative “spacey” areas, and fewer of the same-old jungle and amusement park. There are a few fun non-player characters in the spaceport.

If you have played a Mad Head game recently — and you can hardly avoid them, as they are juggling about 20 series now — you know what this game has to offer in the way of mini-games, hidden objects, and backstory presentation. Some of the minipuzzles are unique and require a bit of thought and even (gasp) logic. I hope the addition of a bit of challenge is part of a trend.

In sum, Beyond: Star Descendant is a step down from Beyond: Light Advent, with a less imaginative storyline and lack of retro fun. However, the production values and mini-games are still excellent. On the whole, I would give it 3.5 to 4 on the AG scale.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You’re missing an opportunity! 100th post on page 100. 101st post on page 101. 102nd post on page 102, etc. Just thought I would point it out in case it hadn’t occurred to you.

Anyway, my youngest grand-kid is older than the newly-adopted sidekick. I’m guessing your preferred chihuahua is he/she of Mystery Trackers fame. And I agree that an overly-polite pre-teen would annoy the heck out of me.

So I may try to start the Beyond demo later tonight to see what all the fuss is about.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

rtrooney - 08 December 2016 06:44 PM

You’re missing an opportunity! 100th post on page 100. 101st post on page 101. 102nd post on page 102, etc. Just thought I would point it out in case it hadn’t occurred to you…

Is this a subtle way of telling me to shut up now?  Gasp Not gonna happen. And yes, Elf is the Chihuahua in my carpetbag. But he might be part bat (look at those ears!).

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just being playing Surface: Virtual Detective as I’ve liked some of the previous games in the series.
This one like the last few doesn’t use FMV but it’s an interesting tale non-the-less which focuses on the idea of VR & a rogue AI (bug) within it for those that like to indulge that keeps the player in their virtual game world whilst in the real one they can’t log-out of it & just end up in a coma. (Or something like that! Laughing )
This idea was more scary to me than any amount of demons, devils etc but also had quite a range of puzzles many to my dismay ‘technically’ focused with gadgets to manipulate & some very easy interactive combat which actually I found tedious.
Overall though I found the game quite engrossing with VR detectives jumping into the VR scenarios to try & find out why ‘lost players’ are prevented from logging-out of their game!  Smile I probably haven’t explained that very well so just try the demo!  Laughing

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

cluelass - 08 December 2016 08:49 PM
rtrooney - 08 December 2016 06:44 PM

You’re missing an opportunity! 100th post on page 100. 101st post on page 101. 102nd post on page 102, etc. Just thought I would point it out in case it hadn’t occurred to you…

Is this a subtle way of telling me to shut up now?  Gasp Not gonna happen. And yes, Elf is the Chihuahua in my carpetbag. But he might be part bat (look at those ears!).

Hehe.  I took it to mean Tim was fishing for MORE posts from you.  Laughing  I would hate to see you post less.  Cute pup!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

What Dara100 said.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top