• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #40: Spycraft: The Great Game

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Origami - 28 October 2016 07:25 PM

Did something happen to Diego or something?

I really hope Diego is alright - just busy with something else… He hasn’t been seen in this thread for almost a month.

About the killing in the beginning of the game - I didn’t think it was a live-fire training. My impression was that somebody infiltrated the training, and used live ammunition to kill the instructor. But I may be missing things in the game, as there are no subtitles and I can’t always get every word that’s spoken.

Generally, when playing a game, I tend to just go along with whatever implausible scenario is playing out - then afterwards I realize there are huge plotholes, but I don’t let that spoil the fun while playing Laughing

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Thanks for answering.

I think that’s it then. You were shooting dummy rounds and someone infiltrated with actual bullets.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m a bit stuck in Moscow right now, and checked a walkthrough to see if I missed anything. Evidently, I’m supposed to find a floppy in the nukes file in Peterson’s office.  I have found the file, but there’s no floppy.  Is there some trigger I’m missing?  I downloaded the book from the internet and talked to Birdsong.  I also checked my inventory in case I picked it up earlier without realizing it.  Any suggestions?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Angry Grrrrrr!  My internal CD/DVD drive just died!  That means I can’t finish Spycraft unless I can find a compatible USB player for this iMac.  The first time I went to Moscow in the game, I inserted Disk 2, and it worked fine all the time I was there.  However, because I was stuck, I decided to shut the game down for a while.  Unfortunately, when I reinserted the CD when prompted, it wouldn’t spin up and then wouldn’t eject.  I finally got the disk out by nudging it gently with another one, but afterwards I couldn’t reinsert it.  I’m really bummed about this.  After playing the game sporadically due to time constraints, I was finally looking forward to some extended playing time these next few days.  I guess I’ll have to play something else until I get this sorted out.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m sorry everyone… thanks for your concern, I’m OK it’s just that I had zero time to play games in the last few months, I wanted to play Spycraft along with you and help (because I played it 20 years ago the last time, and that’s not enough to help you) but I got as far as near the end of the Moscow part. Sorry, kabouter, you’re in front of me so I can’t help you, but I’m getting back to the game right now.

Lady K, as for your troubles, it is true that you need to find a disc in the nukes folder, but you can’t do that before findin the origami bird at your desk in Moscow (Pearson), and right now I can’t exactly remember what triggers that. Did you talk to Yuri, and to Gromchevsky? Moscow part is, as I said, pretty long and non-linear, so you want to double check everything (numbers and phone calls especially!!! And PDA messages, too). And I’m really sorry about your CD/DVD drive. A bit of an irony that you’re stuck with finding the floppy when your CD dies!! I really hope you can get past that hurdle, and we can finish the game. Can you find a spare CD/DVD drive?

Sorry again for me being an awful gamemaster Smile, but I’m also glad that few people are still playing the game in the longest running playthrough of all!  Thumbs Up  Foot in mouth

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I have continued the game and just got the four items on my desk (Beowulf book being one). I am really into the game now and I guess won’t be long til I finish it. I read every document pda accessed page etc trying to get a full picture of all the people and their relations. This is what kind of what kept me from going in the beginning because there is so much exposure as soon as you start the game, consufing some people with one another.

I have one question though; I read that I was supposed to see a Shanghai II disk on my desk at this point. I don’t see one. I haven’t made a single mistake in the game so far so I don’t understand. Does it appear on a 2nd playthrough or something?

Was it removed from the GOG.com version for legal reasons?

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

@Kabouter

Any chance you are playing this through GOG.com?
Could explain why we didn’t encounter the Shanghai II disk.

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Origami - 21 November 2016 03:57 PM

@Kabouter

Yes, I’m playing the GOG version as well. That might explain things…

Are you stuck because of that missing disk as well, or is there another way to continue?

Good to see you back, Diego. There are indeed a few people still playing the game, let’s try and bring this playthrough to a satisfying close Smile

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

kabouter - 22 November 2016 03:26 AM
Origami - 21 November 2016 03:57 PM

@Kabouter

Yes, I’m playing the GOG version as well. That might explain things…

Are you stuck because of that missing disk as well, or is there another way to continue?

Good to see you back, Diego. There are indeed a few people still playing the game, let’s try and bring this playthrough to a satisfying close Smile

You don’t need the Shanghai II disk. It is an easter egg, apparently an older game from the same studios you can play by loading the disk into your computer.

What do you need help on?

I just arrived in London.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Just found out the GOG.com is a censored version.

The camera you find at Max’s murder scene in my playthrough is just casually found on top of my desk in Moscow. Probably because they wanted to censor the murder scene of Max?

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Origami - 22 November 2016 11:08 AM

You don’t need the Shanghai II disk. It is an easter egg, apparently an older game from the same studios you can play by loading the disk into your computer.

What do you need help on?

I just arrived in London.

Thanks for that information. I already found what I had been missing. I was stuck in Moscow finding the location of Jalabad after he killed Max. The address is hidden rather deep, in the personnel file of Pearson which I somehow had not accessed before. Somebody on the GOG forum for Spycraft had had the same problem and posted where to find the address.

It feels as though I am now close to an epic finale, with more action-oriented gameplay thrown into the mix. It took me a while to understand what the hell I was supposed to do in the overhead view of the building where Birdsong was held prisoner. And upon arrival in Tunisia I had some trouble figuring out the controls, as it has been months ago I completed the training missions introducing the gunfights.

A word of warning for those playing the GOG version: the game automatically asks you to save when you go to Tunisia, but I was not able to reload that save again after screwing up the first time there. A save from just before worked fine though, so my advice is to save before you click Tunisia, and then put the autosave in a different slot.

After completing Tunisia the game again asks for an autosave. Immediately afterwards the game crashed (apparently that happens to almost everyone, judging by the GOG forums), but fortunately when restarting and loading the save file the game continues just fine.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Just finished the game and thought it was a decent experience. End game poses a moral dilemma which at the time was probably new but now standard fare. Wanted a bit more resolution in the end with some characters just disappearing alltogether. Identity of the mole was so predictable that it became unpredictable. There was one twist I didn’t see coming though.

kabouter - 22 November 2016 03:55 PM

A word of warning for those playing the GOG version: the game automatically asks you to save when you go to Tunisia, but I was not able to reload that save again after screwing up the first time there. A save from just before worked fine though, so my advice is to save before you click Tunisia, and then put the autosave in a different slot.

Kabouter, I think I know what you are talking about but you CAN load the saved file in the end. What you need to do is once you click on a file to reload and the game doesn’t change you have to press enter and click on the saved game a second time.

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Origami - 22 November 2016 05:57 PM

Just finished the game and thought it was a decent experience. End game poses a moral dilemma which at the time was probably new but now standard fare. Wanted a bit more resolution in the end with some characters just disappearing alltogether. Identity of the mole was so predictable that it became unpredictable. There was one twist I didn’t see coming though.

We finished the game as well - and I agree with you on the identity of the mole. What was the twist you didn’t see coming? Having to shoot Yuri?.

After all the acrimony when choosing the game for the playthrough, and the long breaks in between playing, I am still glad I played the game. It was mostly a fun experience. It’s a shame Activision didn’t think it worth it adding subtitles, because the voices are sometimes really hard to understand. That may add to the realism of hearing things through 1990s earpieces via a satellite link, but makes the game much harder for non-native speakers.

Clearly a lot of effort went into the video, compared to many other FMV titles of the era. Real sets and props, real actors (as seen on TV), must have cost something to produce. Strange that this game isn’t generally mentioned when discussing highlights of the FMV era.

The many “CIA tools” you use to solve puzzles make for a varied game, and those puzzles were all solvable for us, except we got stuck looking for Jalabad’s address for which I had to find an online hint.

The more action-oriented games were trial and error (did anyone of you manage to get Birdsong out alive from Jalabad’s place at the first try, without either alerting the police or killing Birdsong by mistake?) but weren’t too difficult either.

All in all a fun game. Thanks to Diego for leading it - hope you get to the end yourself as well Smile

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Blake being Mirage. Not the biggest of twists, but in the context of what had happened I should have seen it coming.

I was also disappointed that you only got to use the photo altering minigame once in the game.

And I agree with you on that there should’v been a subtitle option.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top