• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Orwell

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Just tried the demo/episode 1 and it’s a very promising game. The interview with the developer in the main page got me interested. The theme is not that original, a society that the government is spying on everyone but the twist is that you control a worker for the program that has to investigate the online info of the suspects. Check their facebook, twitter, spy in the chats and get the revelant info and which one you want to share with the cops.

Main fear is that the free fisrt episode is really small, like half an hour and it’s all very guided, I hope the next ones gives more freedom.
The full game will be released in in episodes in the next few weeks.

Steam page with the demo

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

kamuidrome

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 21 October 2016 04:44 PM

kamuidrome

Reminded me that but the writing in here so far is very tame compared to the dark stuff Suda explored in that chapter.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 21 October 2016 06:57 PM
nomadsoul - 21 October 2016 04:44 PM

kamuidrome

Reminded me that but the writing in here so far is very tame compared to the dark stuff Suda explored in that chapter.

Ofcourse, but i was actually commenting on the the behavior of digital voyeurism.
Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Looks a bit like an edutainment game Child Focus made a couple of years ago to make teenagers more aware of the dangers of oversharing on social media. You basically played a web detective that had to figure out why a certain student came home late after school (despite not being detained), or why they skipped their football training, etc.
Ultimate goal was to make teens handle their online privacy better (not posting embarrassing photos/reports, password protecting documents, not becoming “friends” with people you don’t know offline, etc.).
Mild stuff, really, but it was an edutainment game aimed at 12-to-15-year-olds…

Edit: Found it! (only in Dutch or French, though)

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 22 October 2016 08:39 AM

Looks a bit like an edutainment game Child Focus made a couple of years ago to make teenagers more aware of the dangers of oversharing on social media. You basically played a web detective that had to figure out why a certain student came home late after school (despite not being detained), or why they skipped their football training, etc.
Ultimate goal was to make teens handle their online privacy better (not posting embarrassing photos/reports, password protecting documents, not becoming “friends” with people you don’t know offline, etc.).
Mild stuff, really, but it was an edutainment game aimed at 12-to-15-year-olds…

Edit: Found it! (only in Dutch or French, though)

That actually sounds like a good idea for an edutainment title. I tried and it does have some similarities to Orwell some stuff

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I am playing the game and currently at level 17. The plot thickens XD.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Anyone finished,final thoughts?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Gabe - 05 December 2016 02:07 PM

Reception seems great so far. But will wait til the game is fully released.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Origami - 05 December 2016 04:08 PM
Gabe - 05 December 2016 02:07 PM

Reception seems great so far. But will wait til the game is fully released.

It’s fully released already, episodes came out every week.
To be honest I forgot about the game, I played episode 2 and decided to wait for every episode and only now I checked it.
I like what I played

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Personally, I was fascinated from the moment on I first saw the game at Gamescom, and did the interview with Osmotic’s Mel Taylor that Wilco mentioned.

I had great hopes, and the final game surpassed my hopes. Orwell turned out as an extremely immersive experience that got more and more captivating from chapter to chapter.  A lot of what was going on took place in my own head, and I love it when games have that effect on me. Same thing with Her Story. Seems like I should finally check out Papers, Please!

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I liked the game, but I think it falls short of brilliance in one or two aspects. The surveillance system we see in the game is something which veers too far into fantasy and would never be embraced by most governments. I think a game like this needs to have a purpose or serve as a ‘warning’ for the real world and this doesn’t quite get there. In the end the greatest havoc was caused by the activists in the bombings - which did far more damage than Orwell did, at least in my playthrough. Yes, mass surveillance systems are a bad idea (who would have thought?) but most intelligent players would have already known that before the game. The concept of the game is still great and it’s well worth a play, but the game lacks subtlety.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’ve played it and really enjoyed it. Only negative is that I wish I had thought of making copies of the savegame to try different end games I chose to incriminate myself but the way it suddenly switched to the ending when I had barely started was a bit jarring

While I don’t think the game is subtle I disagree with you Oscar. I don’t think this surveillance system is too unlikely. I’ve lived in China before and when I read articles like this one http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21711902-worrying-implications-its-social-credit-project-china-invents-digital-totalitarian I think that countries like China will have a much bleaker future than what was presented in the game (and remember some countries used the fact that China was using a firewall to censor Internet as an excuse for doing the same in the name of protecting the children).

Governments saying they are trying to implement systems to “allow the trustworthy to roam everywhere under heaven while making it hard for the discredited to take a single step.”  says it all.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m aware of vast censorship efforts in countries like China and North Korea. But censorship isn’t what Orwell is about. It’s about actively investigating and fighting offline crime, and doing that entirely online. I think good points were made in the game about the ambiguity of information and the potential for misinterpretation, but most of that was caused by the inflexibility and stupidity of the Orwell program itself. Investigating the game’s suspects in the real world (in which some online investigation is required) would have quickly resulted in finding the perpetrators without the need for extensive surveillance. That’s because an investigation looks at more than just what people have been saying - What was the bomb made of? Where was this material purchased or obtained and by whom? What did witnesses see? Etc…

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

A sequel announcement? Or DLC?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top