• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

I wonder, is this particular story-telling style something that got carried over from (bad) manga or anime series? I tried playing Danganronpa 2 and tried playing Corpse Party, and it was very much similar. First the character is narrating the event. Then the characters are discussing the event between themselves. Then the character is thinking the event over. Then he’s doing a recap. 99% of it is completely redundant, and in the end it makes you want to chew your hand off.

And then there was something…a ghost? Was it really a ghost? I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Was I really seeing a ghost? Do ghosts really exist? And then there could be no more doubt, what we were seeing was a ghost. Eek! What is it? I don’t know! You tell me! Kawaii girl #1, are you seeing what I’m seeing? Eek! Ghost don’t exist! I’m scared! I’m scared too! That was the first time we encountered a ghost. It was very hard to accept. But we had to accept it. We were shaken. What should we do? We decided we should go and tell kawaii girl #2 about it. We told her how we saw a ghost and how we couldn’t believe what we were seeing. She was shaken, but not as much as we were. She seemed to accept it. She said we should go back and examine the exact spot where the ghost appeared.

Player: Wait, what? That last part was important, I missed it. Fuuuuuuu**.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I just finished it, and I loved it.  I see some haters of the last chapter, but I thought it was great.  So much better than the ending of the first game, which clearly felt like the weakest part of the game to me.

There were 2 or 3 characters in this game that really annoyed the pants off of me (and some others that occasionally did).  That wasn’t really the case in the first one.  But on the flip side there were some really great characters with a ton of depth.  Definitely feel more favorable about the characters than I did after the first chapter or so.  Super over-the-top unrealistic characters just kind of rub me the wrong way, but the characters got better as it went along.

Great story.  It’s kind of the Virtue’s Last Reward to the first game’s 999.  And the murder cases and trials were much more interesting than they were the first time.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

@lancelot

Ztd or Dr series is just your good written typical manga in game form.
Thats the reason i dont take it seriously when they pull off complete wtf,
Mangas always being doing this in order to keep the series alive in general.

If you guys have patience to read manga i can recommend some wtfs and more nail biting ones than these games.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Are there people here watching the two Danganronpa 3 anime series (Future & Despair)? These currenly running two series form the official end of the current era of the game series, with the upcoming game New Danganronpa V3 being supposedly featuring a new cast and a new storyline, seperate from the current games. So V3 will not be a direct sequel to the previous games, you’ll need to watch the Future & Despair series to get the real ending.

Future is set after Super Danganronpa 2, dealing directly with the consequences of Naegi’s actions at the end of that game. The cast (some new faces, some old faces) find themselves forced in a new mutual killing game by Monokuma, with new twists and rules (no trials for example).

Despair on the other hand is set in the past, before everything went bonkers. It follows the classmates of Class 77 (SDR2) and the spreading of Ultimate Despair. It shows a lot of the background that was only mentioned briefly in the games / novel and helps flesh out the build-up to the first game.

The series are especially written for the format, so it’s not a game -> TV adaptation. I really the series, and both series are slowly nearing their conclusion. The best order to watch the series is Episode 1 of Future -> Episode 1 of Despair -> Episode 2 of Future etc., as that’s the broadcast order, and it’s structured to be seen like that (i.e. new characters that are featured in the Future episode of the week, are given more background story in the corresponding Despair episode).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve heard about the series but avoided it thinking it was about the events of the 3rd game. Looks like I’ve got to watch it now

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Yeah, the naming can be a bit confusing, as the TV series are collectively called Danganronpa 3, while the game with the new cast/setting is called New Danganronpa V3. The chronological order of the story is:

(Danganronpa Kirigiri) (novel series)
Danganronpa 3: Despair (anime)
Danganronpa Zero (novel) (during Despair)
Danganronpa (game)
Danganronpa Another Episode (game)
Super Danganronpa 2 (game)
Danganronpa 3: Future (anime) (Finale)

New cast/setting
New Danganronpa V3 (game)

(Though like I said earlier, it’s best to watch Future & Despair together, in the right order).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Yeah, I checked out the first episode of the anime that takes place afterward and it didn’t really grab me.  Just felt like more of the same.  And reusing characters in the same scenario probably makes it less interesting to me than starting fresh with new people like the second game did.

But I’m really enjoying the prequel series.  After I finish that I plan to give the future one another try, since I’ll know some of the new characters better then.

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

The first episode of Future can be a bit fast, as it barely introduces the new cast before starting the new game, but the new killing game is quite different from earlier games, with completely different rules.

While I do agree the Despair series is more interesting overall (Nanami!), I do recommend watching the series in order (Future 1 -> Despair 1 -> Future 2 -> Despair 2 -> etc.), because the Despair series, despite being a prequel series, does spoil parts of the Future series (for example character relations). The two series are meant and designed to be watched back and forth.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am going to have to consider getting the anime now! I do want to know how the current story ends, so this is probably the only way to find that out!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Danganronpa 3 is nearing its end by the way. Despair will end this week, Future next Monday.

And while it was not that important early on in the two series, I have to stress you really need to watch this series in the right order (Future 1 -> Despair 1 -> Future 2 -> Despair 2 etc.), because Despair will spoil crucial plot points of Future (and the whole series in general), if you don’t watch it in the correct order. It’s really designed as two interlinked narratives. You’ll only spoil the other show if you only watch one side in one go.

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Danganronpa 3 has finished, and with that the storyline about Hope’s Peak is finally over. I wrote a review of the anime, if anyone is interested, but the short version: perfect, it is not, but it does clear up events that were only vaguely mentioned in the games, it does something nice narratively (making use of the unique format of having two simultaneously running storylines in the present and past), and it at least ends on a hopeful note, which I really needed after going through the Despair episodes.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

DR VR

Looks greaaaat and prefect fit,
Man now i believe Koji and Suda can make some cool AG with it.
Suda showed Silvercase VR interest if sales are high, which arent right now.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just got PS4 VR, this might be fun…... Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Hold your horses though…

It’s just a tech demo.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Danganronpa 3 gets released in japan on January 12th. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for a western release:

http://thevitalounge.net/2016/10/21/danganronpa-v3-voice-cast-unveiled/

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top