• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Which games have taught you the most about a topic?

Total Posts: 194

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

Ah, then I misinterpreted you, my apologies Smile

I guess it is not as much learning directly from the game, but rather learning via the game. At least, that’s how it works for me. A game is based on something real-life that peaks my interest, and I end up looking up what the real-life thing is really like. In that case I should still end up with the correct information (given that the interwebs is right that is). But yes indeed, you may definitely mislearn quite a few things based on artistic liberties otherwise.

A prince it is? I see. And I am Lord of this dusty path!

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Luna Sevithiainen - 27 September 2016 08:34 AM
nomadsoul - 27 September 2016 07:54 AM

Massa intermedia was good enough for a base to expkain ESP,magic or mind powers
With MRI machines ofcourse there is some suspension of disbelief

If there is something that could be, but isn’t proven, like the MI, sure. It is one of the artistic liberties I meant before that I am fine with (even though I highly doubt it). You can toy all you want with the supernatural/magical and tie it in with this , because that is in the realm of not proven/uncertain/could be. Not being able to reliable measure from MI with MRI because resolution issues? Sure, you can take the liberty that now you can. It is only a small tweak, you can easily imagine that the technique has evolved just that tad more that now you can measure from MI.

But as soon as you change everything about a system, then you cross a line.

The only lines she crossed were related to religion, from depiction of Christ in wrong context, to the mis match definitions of various Islamic and Jewish references you find in laptop database in last quarter of the game. Not to mention one leading jewish character as main plotter.
Thats how religion loss of transmission occured in history, and religion by itself is far more sensitive issue than MRI machine.

Thats why i liked Cecil more. His fiction was not twisted but accurate depiction, but again anyone with internet can search anything online nowadays, it was problem back then when we had no sources to double check or cross examine stuff.
Heck i didnt know about Massaintermedia before this game, but soon after one word and 100 links.
Not to mention Janejensen’s audience is not Fox news one, they are far more knowledgeable and prone to research than Fox news audience who take everything at face value.
You know in AGs when characters take and hide all items in their body, its also far less scientific than MRI machine. Wink

Total Posts: 194

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

nomadsoul - 27 September 2016 08:34 PM

The only lines she crossed were related to religion, from depiction of Christ in wrong context, to the mis match definitions of various Islamic and Jewish references you find in laptop database in last quarter of the game. Not to mention one leading jewish character as main plotter.
Thats how religion loss of transmission occured in history, and religion by itself is far more sensitive issue than MRI machine.

Took me a while you were switching to a different game here.
Two wrongs make a right though (although I would like to know what the errors are according to you, I don’t recall that many, maybe PM me about that?). Yes, religion can be more sensitive than science, but that doesn’t mean it is fine to change science just like that Wink

Of course the whole discussion depends entirely on opinion. To me, the line is between fact and unproven (religion is such a dynamic construct, even if you take it as a truth, which I don’t, you still have to ask whether you take the truth of 2000 years ago or today, or anything in between). If a game resembles the world I know and then changes a fact, then to me the world feels a lot less real. And at least to me that made the game less enjoyable. The strength of a game that is rooted in this world with some links to the supernatural lies (imho) in how much it resembles the real world. Because, if you play in a world that is just like your own, but strange things happen, you can actually imagine those strange things happening in real life. If you make the real world such that it in some aspects does not resemble the real world at all, then it breaks that immersion, and I doubt that was the goal of the game.

To you the line may be somewhere else. That’s completely fine. But that doesn’t change the fact that I still hope that no one will claim having learned about MRI just strictly from the depiction in GM, because even though it may not be controversial, it is still wrong.

You know in AGs when characters take and hide all items in their body, its also far less scientific than MRI machine. Wink

Interface is on the edge of supspension of disbelief imo, and not part of the real world it is supposed to mimic, which is usually emphasized by the fact that no one in the game mentions the inventory as existing. It is not stated where you keep your things at all. Sometimes it is actually depicted as a backpack, and then it behaves like one. It may be a bit stretched to its limits, but that is a minor tweak, and as with the resolution issue in GM, minor tweaks are fine. Now if someone would explicitly say they carry stuff in the pockets of their tight jeans, and they fit in a bicycle I will still complain, unless the game is whacky Wink

A prince it is? I see. And I am Lord of this dusty path!

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Luna Sevithiainen - 28 September 2016 03:20 AM

Took me a while you were switching to a different game here.
Two wrongs make a right though (although I would like to know what the errors are according to you, I don’t recall that many, maybe PM me about that?). Yes, religion can be more sensitive than science, but that doesn’t mean it is fine to change science just like that Wink

Of course the whole discussion depends entirely on opinion. To me, the line is between fact and unproven (religion is such a dynamic construct, even if you take it as a truth, which I don’t, you still have to ask whether you take the truth of 2000 years ago or today, or anything in between). If a game resembles the world I know and then changes a fact, then to me the world feels a lot less real. And at least to me that made the game less enjoyable. The strength of a game that is rooted in this world with some links to the supernatural lies (imho) in how much it resembles the real world. Because, if you play in a world that is just like your own, but strange things happen, you can actually imagine those strange things happening in real life. If you make the real world such that it in some aspects does not resemble the real world at all, then it breaks that immersion, and I doubt that was the goal of the game.

To you the line may be somewhere else. That’s completely fine. But that doesn’t change the fact that I still hope that no one will claim having learned about MRI just strictly from the depiction in GM, because even though it may not be controversial, it is still wrong.

Interface is on the edge of supspension of disbelief imo, and not part of the real world it is supposed to mimic, which is usually emphasized by the fact that no one in the game mentions the inventory as existing. It is not stated where you keep your things at all. Sometimes it is actually depicted as a backpack, and then it behaves like one. It may be a bit stretched to its limits, but that is a minor tweak, and as with the resolution issue in GM, minor tweaks are fine. Now if someone would explicitly say they carry stuff in the pockets of their tight jeans, and they fit in a bicycle I will still complain, unless the game is whacky Wink

PMed Wink

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I’d be quite happy to accept the unrealistic MRI machines as a low-level sci-fi element or even just a simplification for dramatic purposes - I was a lot more put off by the hilariously inaccurate representation of Oxford Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top