• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 26 August

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

The Nick Chase games came up on the Casual Games thread. I had only played the first one, but decided to buy the second one, Nick Chase and the Deadly Diamond, to see if my opinion had changed. It hadn’t. The above screenshot is from this game.

That doesn’t make this a bad game. It isn’t, and neither is the first one, Nick Chase - A Detective Story. What is wrong with them is that they are stylistically very similar to Jane Jensen’s Women’s Murder Club games produced by her Oberon and Floodlight Games ventures. They are so similar that I tried to find if there was some sort of relationship between the Nick Chase producer, Gestalt Games, and the two led by Jensen. I didn’t find any.

However…remember when I said the games were stylistically very similar? Well that is true, right down to the background music. It turns out that the company that did the music for the Nick Chase games also lists Floodlight Games as a client, and did the music for the Murder Club games.

As for why I didn’t like the Nick Chase games, the reason is simple. I liked the Murder Club games, and played most of them. But I eventually burned out on them. So when I played the Nick Chase games and found out that they were simply more of the same, I simply said what I thought. If you’ve never played a Murder Club game, or only played one or two and liked them, I’m fairly certain that you will like these too.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve played a few of the Women’s Murder Club games which I enjoyed but none of the Nick Chase series - I do like the style of the art-work in your screenshot though!  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Just like the Women’s Murder Club games, the graphics are very comic book oriented.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just tried a half-hour of the demo & I really adore the presentation which I thought was very good but alas it really doesn’t work for me as a game - it seemed a little incoherent?

EDIT: I played the demo of Nick Chase - A Detective Story (it was the only one available on BFG)

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

By the way, Strategic Music Studios is the name of the company that did music and sound for both the Nick Chase games and the Murder Club games.

Just in case anyone was interested! Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top