• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

I started playing Book One when it first came out (I got about 4-5 hours into it), then put it aside until the remaining chapters were completed and updated to my GOG account. I just picked it up again and decided to start a new game which I knew would wipe out my previous choices, but I didn’t care….I wanted a fresh start.

One thing that I wasn’t prepared for (as I hadn’t kept up on the subsequent chapter development process) was the engine change to Unity. This caught me completely off guard, but it is what it is.

The second thing I noticed is the game starts out differently now than it did in 2014. When I first played it, Zoe saved a falling dreamer, then a vagabond dreamer, then the little girl with monster in the closet nightmares. This is what the view from her hospital room looked like (click thumbnail to view, and click again to enlarge):

This time, there is no falling dreamer and no vagabond. Pretty much right to the monster in the closet. This is the view from the same place before she transports into Dreamland:

So, since I haven’t read much of this thread and certainly wouldn’t easily find my answer (if it’s even here) sifting through 900+ posts, when RTG “upgraded” the graphics, did they also delete some content, like those first two encounters Zoe had with the dreamers in the earlier version? Or am I missing something here?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

“Streamlining” the first book happened upon the final book’s release.

I note you also mentioned an engine change to Unity. It always was Unity, but started in Unity 4, rather than Unity 5 as it is now.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

You’re right of course, Dale. I’d forgotten that it started out as Unity 4….for some reason I erroneously recalled it being originally released in Unreal something-or-other.  Tongue

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Mike the Wino - 22 July 2016 02:29 PM

when RTG “upgraded” the graphics, did they also delete some content, like those first two encounters Zoe had with the dreamers in the earlier version? Or am I missing something here?

Yes they did delete content. You can see the differences if you compare with playthroughs of the early version on YouTube.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Dale - 22 July 2016 03:15 PM

” It always was Unity, but started in Unity 4, rather than Unity 5 as it is now.

well, well. that is new(s) for me Mr.Dale, i never was aware as those gamers who knew/know of the engines to the extent (this extend) when defining games and their motors/engines. therefore (as you mentioned) i least/last to know Unreal Engine = Unity4.
so anyways, anyhow let me ask you this which had been confusing me for a while since that unpgrade/(down) took place, (because) its more like a downgrade from my POV otherwise the gamers who talk and see it as an upgrade Untity4/(Unreal) to Unity5
lke the Vid below that is supposed to show the difference in of unity5!!

i dont see it as an upgrade
or maybe i am n need for new glasses?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I completely lost interest in Dreamfall: Chapters after the disastrous episode 3 (hard to believe it’s been over a year); I remember the bits with Zoe in Storytime as being by far the best thing in the first three episodes.

That they decided to ditch most of that is the perfect illustration of how far Tornquist’s vision for this game is from what I was looking for.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Mike the Wino - 22 July 2016 02:29 PM

So, since I haven’t read much of this thread and certainly wouldn’t easily find my answer (if it’s even here) sifting through 900+ posts, when RTG “upgraded” the graphics, did they also delete some content, like those first two encounters Zoe had with the dreamers in the earlier version? Or am I missing something here?

It is not just the dreamers that have been removed, but also the third kidbot puzzle and some other things. And more importantly, they are also planning more “streamlining” before the complete edition will be released.

Advie - 22 July 2016 05:17 PM

i dont see it as an upgrade
or maybe i am n need for new glasses?

The upgrade from unity 4 to 5 was mainly a question of performance (and playstation support). It might not look better and at least in some case imo it looks worse, but the performance is now much better with pretty much double FPS.

Kurufinwe - 22 July 2016 05:25 PM

I completely lost interest in Dreamfall: Chapters after the disastrous episode 3 (hard to believe it’s been over a year); I remember the bits with Zoe in Storytime as being by far the best thing in the first three episodes.

That they decided to ditch most of that is the perfect illustration of how far Tornquist’s vision for this game is from what I was looking for.

I kind of agree.
I’m overall more positive of the whole game than you are, but starting with book 3 (by far the weakest book) they went in the exact opposite direction of what I was hoping for, and the changes they are making now are pushing it even more in the wrong direction.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 23 July 2016 11:57 AM

And more importantly, they are also planning more “streamlining” before the complete edition will be released.

I’m confused! I’ve downloaded all the chapters (I thought?) aware that some content has been deleted but there’s going to be a complete edition released? which I’m now guessing will be the whole game with more missing? Smile 

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

chrissie - 23 July 2016 12:29 PM
Iznogood - 23 July 2016 11:57 AM

And more importantly, they are also planning more “streamlining” before the complete edition will be released.

I’m confused! I’ve downloaded all the chapters (I thought?) aware that some content has been deleted but there’s going to be a complete edition released? which I’m now guessing will be the whole game with more missing? Smile

Yes, though technically it might also contain extra and new content, like Mira’s missing VO in book 5. But they are planning a Complete Edition, Final Edition, Directors Cut or whatever they will end up calling it, and this edition will also be the PS4 and physical release of the game.

One change they have announced for the CE is that the maps in Propast and Macuria will be interactive, so you can teleport to a location you have already visited once instead of running yourself.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 23 July 2016 01:28 PM

And more importantly, they are also planning more “streamlining” before the complete edition will be released…....

One change they have announced for the CE is that the maps in Propast and Macuria will be interactive, so you can teleport to a location you have already visited once instead of running yourself.

Thanks Iznogood for the info, I think the introduction of teleporting is a good idea but at the same time it is worth wandering around those buzzing locations as well!  Smile

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Iznogood - 23 July 2016 01:28 PM

Yes, though technically it might also contain extra and new content, like Mira’s missing VO in book 5. But they are planning a Complete Edition, Final Edition, Directors Cut or whatever they will end up calling it, and this edition will also be the PS4 and physical release of the game.

A definitive edition will do,btw glad that didn’t start epi2 yet saved from hundred
minutes of backtracking.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 21 July 2016 07:28 AM
Jabod - 19 July 2016 09:51 AM

Did anyone else wait until all chapters were out before attempting to gain a GOG code? This is what I did but, after 2 emails to RTG spread a couple of weeks apart I’ve heard absolutely nothing back.

I do seem to recall that there have been some similar problems in the past with the GOG codes, though I can’t remember any details.

I you try and post at the RTG forum then I’m sure you will get a quick response, perhaps not from RTG themselves, but at least from someone who might know what the problem is.

Cheers Izno. I had considered doing that when my second email was ignored but thought that I’d ask here first hoping someone else had been caught out like myself and had found a better conduit for an answer. It would appear not Content

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’ve just replayed and completed Dreamfall so that I can play and finish Dreamfall Chapters now that all episodes have been released…

Dreamfall’s ending is even more of a cliffhanger than I remembered. I did really enjoy the game though, just wished there had been more puzzles :-)

I had been planning to do that as soon at the fifth episode was released but with all the negative comments about Dreamfall Chapters I became a bit less excited…Anyway, will start it now, hopefully it won’t be as bad as it seems…

I did play the first episode when it was released and enjoyed the puzzles with the bot, sad to hear they’re streamlining thing (I guess that means dumbing down)

I’m kind of bummed that TLJH won’t be made…

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

giom - 18 September 2016 05:30 PM

I’ve just replayed and completed Dreamfall so that I can play and finish Dreamfall Chapters now that all episodes have been released…

Dreamfall’s ending is even more of a cliffhanger than I remembered. I did really enjoy the game though, just wished there had been more puzzles :-)

I had been planning to do that as soon at the fifth episode was released but with all the negative comments about Dreamfall Chapters I became a bit less excited…Anyway, will start it now, hopefully it won’t be as bad as it seems…

I did play the first episode when it was released and enjoyed the puzzles with the bot, sad to hear they’re streamlining thing (I guess that means dumbing down)

I’m kind of bummed that TLJH won’t be made…

Ken levine said recently said,

Everyone loves the game. Almost no one likes that boss battle.
It’s terrible. You have this great game, and then you end up fighting this giant nude dude. We didn’t have a better idea

Neither does Ragnar.
Like ken he can fall in traps of bad gamedesign but good story.
Sometimes you need balance, which is very tough nowadays, some sacrifice one for another.
Reason why DFC has streamlining,findobject puzzles, running around aimlessly to progress narrative etc.
With all hate and cross questioninig on DFC forums i guess Ragnar took way out of Tlj universe.
In anycase dont expect much and push it till final scene of the game.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Great game, I enjoyed wandering the streets of Marcuria and music was excellent in some spots. Two large worlds and it was nice to study the towns and alleys by walking the streets. No need for minimaps, Crowboy was enough Wink Story was interesting too. I like Zoe even more than April, but I liked Kian too with his stoic, laconic style. Pretty good voice acting, but the puzzles… oh boy, they are not so good Frown I was happy to see that there were some light puzzles in the game, some decent ones too, but some other “puzzles” or objectives were too vague and without real hints what to do next. But I did enjoy the game, a lot! I`m sure TLJH will happen.. Smile

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top