• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Tuesday, 21 June

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I enjoyed playing Dracula: Origin, the sinister atmosphere is there just like in the Dracula Resurrection series, but it was rather forgettable. Too linear, and somewhat too easy. The story was also so-so.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

There never seems to be much talk about the Dracula games.

From what I understand the first game is good but the series got progressively worse?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

wilco - 23 June 2016 10:56 AM

From what I understand the first game is good but the series got progressively worse?

I’m pretty sure Origin (Frogwares) is completely different from the Dracula series (by Kheops, I think). It’s a standalone game.

It’s confusing, I know. I’m sure they could come up with a more original title:
Mr. D: Origins
The D-Man: Origins
D-Dawg: Origins
The Drac-Attack: Origins

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ah, right, confused… I thought this was part of the other series.

(I vote The Drac-Attack: Origins)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The confusion about which game goes with which series is in part the cause of this, imo. Tongue

And if your looking for a more serious non-Dracula title, you have to include a Count in there somewhere.

Count D.: Origins

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I can definitely see The Drac-Attack: Origins being done by The Asylum Grin

As for the Microids series, I played only Dracula: Resurrection, not The Last Sanctuary which is more of the same as I heard, and also there’s been some very positive reviews of Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon, including this site. Another adventure games connoisseur, Zobraks, when he’s was talking more games and less offtopic, said that “Dracula 3 is a game that, going by the number of handwritten documents, pictures, maps and other things needed to collect, read and decipher (and also with some ingenious puzzles) matches (and at some areas, exceeds) Gabriel Knight 3”. I guess there’s no need for a better recommendation.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

There never seems to be much talk about
the Dracula games.

The Dracula series from 1 to 5 is

1. Dracula: Resurrection (1999) Index+
2. Dracula: The Last Sanctuary (2000) Wanadoo
3. Dracula: The Path of the Dragon (2008) Kheops Studio
4. Dracula: The Shadow of the Dragon (2013) Koala Labs
5. Dracula: The Blood Legacy (2013) Koala Labs

Info for the first three is from Mobygames.
Info for the last two is from PAGODA (because Mobygames ignores casual games,
and the last two are definitely more “casual”)

From what I understand the first game is
good but the series got progressively worse?

That’s not necessarily the case, though you could say the first three were good while the last two weren’t worthy to be included in the series.

Regarding the first three, it depends on what you want out of a game and to some extent which you played first. Dracula 2 was longer than Dracula 1, and had some timed sequences (like being underwater, unable to see which way was up, with a limited time to find the surface and keep yourself from drowning in sewage.) If you played Dracula 1 first, most locations in Dracula 2 would seem like a duplicate of what you’d already seen in Dracula 1, and you’d think Dracula 1 was better. If you played Dracula 2 first, the reverse would be true, unless you really really hated the timed sequences in Dracula 2.

Dracula 3 was different from the first two, more spooky, and with a more disgusting Dracula. For most of the game, Dracula’s presence wasn’t so much seen as felt. Dracula 3 was a longer game than either of the first two. Opinions were mixed about whether it was an improvement or not. Some of the puzzles were tedious “follow the directions” type which I didn’t care for. Some people really liked the “atmosphere” which was heavier and more oppressive than in Dracula 1 and 2. I can definitely see how some players would prefer Dracula 3 to any of the others.

Dracula 4 and 5 were short, casual-type games, made with a game engine that put emphasis on being cross-platform rather than being optimized for PC. IMO Dracula 4 and 5 didn’t control as well as the previous games, lacked manual save capability, and lacked choice.

Dracula Origin from Frogwares isn’t part of the series.
It had its own (sort of) sequel in the form of the casual game Dracula: Love Kills. At least Frogwares made no pretense about Love Kills being a casual, unlike the publishers of Dracula 4 and 5.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks, that’s interesting. If I’ll ever play the series I’ll probably just stick to the first 3. Steam seems to think they are all casual since that tag is in all games of the series. Probably a reflex of the last 2 games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top