• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obduction Coming … Is Anyone Excited? 

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2010-09-15

PM

Every few years or so I google for newly discovered hi-res Riven pics. Heart Eyes I totally missed the Kickstarter, didn’t know this game even existed (or will exist) until today. Surprise!

The most current release date is June 2016, if I’m not mistaken. I expect that’s over-optimistic… two months to go and they have released just one teaser trailer?

(Cheeky developer blog post about release dates, past & future)

First impressions: What the…? Looks more like Far Cry than a Myst game. (Wrong guess, it also features some classic art deco/art nouveau interiors. How well will this will blend together?)
The Kickstarter marketing blurb is terribly ambiguous. Will it be single- and /or online multiplayer, with optional puzzles/episodes as downloadable content?

Whatever and whenever they deliver, this looks like one hell of an ambitious game. I hope the story and puzzles receive as much attention to detail as the modelling, and they use the Unreal 4 engine to its full potential.
* Obduction Reddit thread - latest news & gossip column

Meanwhile: Starry Expanse is a fan project to make a 3D version of Riven. They’ve posted some very nice screenshots, worth a look.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Coming in july, rererevealed samey trailer.
Art design is super generic , after Witness, Talos ,Rapture or past Riven/Myst, this looks like average fan mod.
Music is cool though.

Even Uru had better worlds.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nomadsoul - 02 June 2016 12:47 PM

Art design is super generic , after Witness, Talos ,Rapture or past Riven/Myst, this looks like average fan mod.
Music is cool though.

the 26th.
the second half of this year is burning with top releases.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

nomadsoul - 02 June 2016 12:47 PM

Music is cool though.

Agree that art so underwhelming for any myst standarts but more than that it looks like lost the myst-ic feel.
No doubt basically a myst game but what they trying to do and expect to achieve with
generic approach while zillions of myst derivatives already out there.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I found these system requirements for Obduction at Steam and at Cyan support:

System Requirements
Windows Mac OS X

MINIMUM:
Processor: CPU Intel i5-2500 equivalent or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 660 GTX w/1GB / AMD 7700 series w/1GB equivalent or better
Storage: 20 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or better
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 w/4 GB / AMD R9 290 w/4 GB equivalent or better

———————————-

The game doesn’t look “bad” but it doesn’t look like it warrants these requirements either. I wonder how much attention has been focussed on getting it working with Oculus Rift as opposed to getting it looking good on the normal PC setups that most people will be using.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

crabapple - 05 June 2016 01:19 PM

I found these system requirements for Obduction at Steam and at Cyan support:

System Requirements
Windows Mac OS X

MINIMUM:
Processor: CPU Intel i5-2500 equivalent or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 660 GTX w/1GB / AMD 7700 series w/1GB equivalent or better

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or better
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 w/4 GB / AMD R9 290 w/4 GB equivalent or better

———————————-

The game doesn’t look “bad” but it doesn’t look like it warrants these requirements either. I wonder how much attention has been focussed on getting it working with Oculus Rift as opposed to getting it looking good on the normal PC setups that most people will be using.

Is there any UE4 release yet that warrants lesser req?

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

nomadsoul - 05 June 2016 01:25 PM

Going by sites like this UE4 wiki and Googling the specs for the individual games at sites like Steam, there are quite a few.

I wonder who Cyan thinks their target audience is.
I would guess that the number of Myst fans who also play FPS and have state of the art computers is much lower than the number of Myst fans with more modest computers.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

crabapple - 05 June 2016 01:57 PM

Going by sites like this UE4 wiki and Googling the specs for the individual games at sites like Steam, there are quite a few.

I would guess that the number of Myst fans who also play FPS and have state of the art computers is much lower than the number of Myst fans with more modest computers.

There is Park there in the list, can be a good benchmark.
Wilco can fill you with more details but i reckon UE4 will scale up reqs with more modified versions and poor optimizations.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

You can’t use a terrible game like Alone in the Dark for comparison.
They are using a recent engine with a lot of bells and whistles, makes sense the minimun specs are at least decent. They are close to The Park that doesn’t look anything special to be honest, but runs great.
I just hope the use of the UE4 allows them to avoid the shit perfomances that are included in every Unity 3D game.

Edit: And I do think they should be going for a good Rift perfomance and shouldn’t be afraid to go for high specs. Myst was the CD-ROM launcher, no?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 05 June 2016 03:36 PM

You can’t use a terrible game like Alone in the Dark for comparison.
They are using a recent engine with a lot of bells and whistles, makes sense the minimun specs are at least decent. They are close to The Park that doesn’t look anything special to be honest, but runs great.
I just hope the use of the UE4 allows them to avoid the shit perfomances that are included in every Unity 3D game.

Edit: And I do think they should be going for a good Rift perfomance adhouldn’t be afraid to go for high specs. Myst was the CD-ROM launcher, no?

Shitty builtin hardwares back in the day never needed for Prerenderd games, they had built in direct draw software emulation. Others were movie streamers.

Even Syberia didnt req much.

But i have no clue wat card today can run good looking or badly optimized ue4 game.

Unity btw is crap, it has been giving ps4 nightmares.
Heard unity5 has turaround the situation on pc?

Also, Ethancarter was upgraded to ue4, try that since it had more detail than obduction.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 05 June 2016 03:36 PM

Edit: And I do think they should be going for a good Rift perfomance and shouldn’t be afraid to go for high specs. Myst was the CD-ROM launcher, no?

no, KQV was.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 05 June 2016 04:02 PM

Shitty builtin hardwares back in the day never needed for Prerenderd games, they had built in direct draw software emulation. Others were movie streamers.

You got to move away from prerendered and slide-show if you want to move ahead. I think at least Cyan is trying in this case

nomadsoul - 05 June 2016 04:02 PM

Unity btw is crap, it has been giving ps4 nightmares.
Heard unity5 has turaround the situation on pc?

Dreamfall Chapters at least improved, but the game has been released for over a year and episodes delayed multiple times…

Advie - 05 June 2016 04:04 PM

no, KQV was.

Those were all returned the second Cedric spoke Tongue

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

uh cedric, he was served as a turkey to royal family last easter Crazy  Crazy

Image Attachments

12923100_1082286358476636_2895933328798816753_n.jpg

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Looks pretty awesome to me.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Looks awesome to me too, SpeedBo.

I’ve been following it since Kickstarter and it’s got me checking my spam folder in case I miss the email confirming my order stats.

I was a little leery at the beginning about it ‘til they started adding the textures and all the things that made it look like a true Mysty game.  There’s no doubt now that they’re almost there.

Can’t wait!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top