• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Need help Day of Tentacle REMASTERED

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2003-10-01

PM

I am in the early stages.  Bernard, in the present, has done a lot of things and piced up over a dozen inventory items.  Hoagie & Laverne have not yet been accesses (in past future).
I have to open the safe in Dr. Fred’s office.
I have to get him to sleepwalk.  I have the coffee and non-caffeine.  I have to pour it into his mug (or cup) - but I can’t find the mug ANYWHERE ???
I can’t see it in Fred’s office or lab.
Where is the mug ??? Or have I run into a bug ???

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It’s on the table in his lab. Has a love heart on the side.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2003-10-01

PM

Hi Lucien ~ VERY many thanks for your swift & lucid reply :~ ))
I am now in a quandary since if what you say is correct, and I was worried in advance that it was so, it would seem to indicate a fatal game-stopper bug !
To be 200% certain I would be very pleased if you could clarify the following :-
(1)  We are talking about the GoG Remastered version released only 2 or 3 months ago and not the original released in 1993 ?
(2)  I have NOTHING on the square table just in front of the hamster generator (nor does that table have a love heart on its side as you mentioned).  Also, the whole table is not active and cannot be accessed !  It seemed to me ALSO that that table was the ‘natural’ place for a mug/cup for Dr. Fred but absolutely NOT in my game !!!
(3)  So that I can check again and not make a fool of myself falsely stating that I have run into a fatal game stopper …….
I assume that the abovementioned table must be marked as above with the cup.mug standing on it right from the very beginning of the game.
IS THAT CORRECT ??
(4)  Since I am stuck and cannot continue the game unless the above matter is res0lved, I looked up a few walkthroughs of both the present & original versions.  AFAIK each one maintains that the mug/cup is to be found in Dr. Fred’s OFFICE (where the safe is !) and not as you maintain in Fred’s LABORAORY where the abovementioned table is.
Can you clarify.
Sorry for burdening you with so many questions ..
CHEERS——Len

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

(1) Yes, i’m currently replaying that version.
(2) Weird as it is there in my version. As soon as you gain control of Hoagie after the intro etc. Did you switch back to Bernard. You should then see Dr Fred standing behind the table drinking from a white mug with a heart on it. You talk to him about getting a diamond, the contract etc. He should be there all the time until you pour the decaf into his mug and then he smashes it and sleepwalks to the safe. (there is more to that puzzle to get the combination)
http://www.giantbomb.com/images/1300-2844742

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

The only thing that should stop the mug being there is if you haven’t found the super battery plans yet.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2003-10-01

PM

Once again MANY thanks Lucien for your rapid and clear reply :~ ))
As I said, I have progressed quite a bit with Bernard in the present and NEVER seen the link you posted - i.e. I have never seen that mug with the heart on it before - nor have I EVER seen Dr. Fred himself ANYWHERE since the very beginning of the game itself.
You may know me since I am now 91+ y.o. and have about 40 (now oldish) walkthroughs scattered around on the Net - before pretty well each of them I was the (generally main) beta tester of the games which is why I’m nagging you a lot—- SORRY !!
As I’m certain you know, unless there is any way I can get that mug back onto the table (and maybe Fred to appear next to it ??) there is no way I can continue the game - it is a very serious game stopper bug - the sort I have come across too many times when beta-ing !
I have spent quite a long time on the game so far (I am a VERY slow, if ‘solid’, player) and unearthed a dozen apparently essential inventory items from all over the mansion and so I am loath to start the game again from the very beginning - this particularly since I have not as yet looked for the save-games folder in order to save my very last save in case I need it.
BTW :-  As I’m certain you know, In a bug-free properly tested game, if it is NON-LINEAR (Open Ended) there is no rule or compulsion to follow any one itinerary rather than ANY OTHER !!  So IF the fact that I have run into a shocking fatal dead-end is due only to the fact that I chose a permissible “wrong” order of actions , then the Developers are guilty of releasing a very flawed game !!!
Do you have any recommendations ?
TIA (Thanks In Advance) - Len

Joined 2003-10-01

PM

THANKS Dale.
No - although as I have said, I have acquired a dozen probably (later) essential inventory items I have NOT yet acquired the super battery plans !
Thanks for the advice.
I shall now try to obtain them !
If I succeed and I can cause that white mug to appear for the very first time, anywhere in the mansion (and possibly or probably Dr. Fred next to it) then the game is perfectly OK !
If not however, then that dead-end game-stopper bug ruins the game unless & until it is eradicated !!!

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

No Dale is right. The super battery plans are usually the first thing you find and Dr Fred will then appear. I had assumed you had already done this part as it’s the first puzzle and it unlocks Hoagie and explains how to pass items to each other.

DOTT is not a totally linear game, a lot of the puzzles can be done in a different order especially once you get into the need to pass objects between time periods or to do something in one time line that affect the others. And while you do need to do certain puzzles in a linear fashion you will come to parts where you need to switch to another character to continue. For instance the only way to get control of laverne is to do something in Hogies timeline.

Roberta Williams

Joined 2003-10-01

PM

<<LUCIEN>>No Dale is right. The super battery plans are usually the first thing you find and Dr Fred will then appear. I had assumed you had already done this part as it’s the first puzzle and it unlocks Hoagie and explains how to pass items to each other.
——————————————————
I have written Internet articles on the subject of the “Dead-End” bug which IMO is one of the very worst game-bugs !!!  You can (and I have) got half way through a game and because you did not perform some action WHICH WAS NEITHER OBLIGATORY OR ESSENTAL earlier in the game, you have no option but to start it from some previous save or (as in this POSSIBLE case) from the beginning.
NOTHING WHATSOEVER OBLIGATES me to get the super battery at the beginning of the game !!  I, and EVERY OTHER player of DOTT, was perfectly entitled to perform all sorts of other actions first.  I taught myself computer programming decades ago and some of my primitive games were published and used in USA in 1980.
If it is ESSENTIAL for the player to obtain the super battery at the VERY beginning of the game BEFORE ANY OTHERB OF THE MANY OTHER POSSIBLE ACTIONS, then the game’s programming *MUST* make that action COMPULSORY THEN and EVERY other action IMPOSSIBLE !!!
If the game does not do that it *MUST* ‘allow’ the player to perform the same action or its equivalent yielding the identical essential results.
Now the crux of the matter in this case is …… can I obtain that white mug later in the game and perform the essential operations on it ?  If the answer is “Ys” all is well - If “No” then this is a classic dead end game stopper bug and a ‘crime’ against purchasers & players.
Incidentally PLEASE TELL ME HOW I CAN GET THE SUPER BATTERY (If this is REALLY the key to the matter) at this (not beginning) of the game where I am at present.
TIA and regards   Len Green

No Dale iright. The super battery plans are usually the first thing you find and Dr Fred will then appear. I had assumed you had already done this part as it’s the first puzzle and it unlocks Hoagie and explains how to pass items to each other.

Joined 2003-10-01

PM

LUCIEN & DALE
Sorry for so much “talking”.
I repeat …………
One very straightforward hint will clarify this matter one way or the other as follows ……………
Please tell me how I obtain the super battery plans - NOT at the very beginning of the game !

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

The plans will still be where they are at the beginning of the game. Bernard doesn’t have to walk far to find them after the time travel cutscene.

He doesn’t even have to leave the laboratory.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It’s not a bug and it’s not game breaking.

Dr Fred asks you specifically to find the plans at the beginning of the game and wanders off saying that they are in the house somewhere.

Normally it is the first item most people pick up as Dale says they are close by. In the lab

The game will allow you to wander around the house and pick up other things and try other puzzles but at some point to progress the game you have to find the plans.

Ps you never actually pick up the mug you just interact with it.

Roberta Williams

Joined 2003-10-01

PM

Whether I have run into a dead-end game stopper (IMHO one of the worst types of game-bug … I don’t want to elaborate here but I have made quite a study of them !!) depends ONLY upon *ONE* thing IMO…………
**If** I can bring up the white mug on my monitor NOW, it is most probably NOT a dead end - If that is IMOSSIBLE then it “IS” I am almost certain!!
You have told me that I MUST first obtain the super battery plans, OK !  But neither of you have told me **EXACTLY** where they are :~ ((
PLEASE JUST GIVE ME STRAIGHTFORWARD INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WJHERE TO FIND THOSE PLANS (and should there be any difficulty in grabbing them which I doubt, what to do to get hold of them IF necessary !!)
Once again - very many thanks in advance !!

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Roberta Williams

Joined 2003-10-01

PM

Lunch time here - will explain as fully as I can some time later today
In the meantime ***NO DEAD END*** - At least, *not as yet* !!!
Dale was right and Lucien provided the critical graphic Hint.
1000 thanx Len

Joined 2003-10-01

PM

WEIRD !!!!!
This whole affair was due to ONE small upset.  I suffer from ASMD (Adult related Macular Degeneration) as do millions of others older than 60.  One’s sight slowly diminishes over several years and I now have only about 15% to 20% vision.
I have accessed the right end of Dr. Fred’s secret laboratory well over a dozen times seen the hamster generator and bulletin board an EVERY TIME **MISSED** the “PAPER” (= super battery plans) :~ ((  :~ ((
Dale was right !
As soon as Lucien revealed where the plans were, the sequence I did not perform at the very beginning of the game took place - Hoagie, Dr. Fred at last appearing in his lab TOGETHER WITH HIS MISSING MUG ETC FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME.
Bottom line ……………
DEFINITELY NO DEAD-END - the game is fine !
Just as it should be ….. EITHER you get Fred & his mug in the lab right at the beginning of the game OR as happened to me, instead you achieve the same result later by accessing the battery plans.
QED
Very many thanks to both of you for your great help and patience.
CHEERS …….. Len Green
P.S.
You might be interested in my son’s (Dave Green 63 y.o.) Co. the largest graphic-logic.-pzzle Co. “Conceptis Puzzles” serving publishers in 60 countries, mobiles & smart phones, Internet, etc.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top