• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #39: Resonance

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I had no trouble at all killing Ed and then publishing everything,

A gamer after my own heart, I did this also, it just felt right…............ Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2004-09-28

PM

Hey everybody.  Really happy that everyone seems to have enjoyed Resonance.  I finally had the time to continue my playthrough.  This section of video goes from the scene where the four characters finally team up and goes all the way up to the supercollider/magnet hallway.

Check it out here: https://www.twitch.tv/vincetwelve/v/69644911

As always, let me know if you have any questions or comments for me!  I’m an open book and am happy to discuss my successes and failings in the making of this game!

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

By far this was the best part in your playthrough (and with the best video/sound quality) Vince!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Only wilco, Mikekelly and me managed to finish the game thus far. How about the rest of you folks?
Have you made any progress? Any impressions to share?

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

We finished the game last week, but I didn’t have/take the time to write a post yet (and we already started on Kathy Rain).

We enjoyed the game as well. My wife reacted very surprised and shocked at the big turning point. She clearly didn’t see it coming. As I already knew what would happen, this time I was able to pick up the subtle hints at Ed’s role in proceedings that I totally missed the first time I played the game. Well done Mr. Twelve…

We got only one ending. It wasn’t a terribly hard choice “resonancing” Ed out of existence after what he did to Anna. And publishing the story seemed the only way after all the trouble the characters had gone through to get this far. At what point do you have the option to let Ray be persuaded by Ed?

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

kabouter - 03 June 2016 04:30 AM

At what point do you have the option to let Ray be persuaded by Ed?

During the final dialog options in the rooftop. If you continually (controlling Ray) choose the options understanding Ed’s view for Antevorta and the situation in general, you will have the option to reveal him the hidden Resonance device. ENDING DESCRIPTION FOLLOWS: Bennet tries to intervene thinking you a traitor and he gets shot by Ed. Ed deactivates the device and re-place them to their original positions for the hospital explosion. In the end, you do again have the option to either publish everything or not. Ed makes it clear that, in his opinion, it would be better for everyone not to publish anything, but he won’t stop you in your choice. Of course all the newspaper pages in the credits are different.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Finished here too.

Lots of great puzzles and really enjoyed the 4 character dynamic, perhaps could have been implemented more and for longer. However that probably would have required a much larger game overall.

Unfortunately I didn’t particularly enjoy the story that much really, but glad I gave the game another chance after giving up originally.

Cheers
Nod

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

VinceTwelve - 05 May 2016 11:25 AM

I’ll also jump into this thread as often as possible if you have any questions about the game, the development, or the planned semi-sequel that may never see the light of day!

Since this playthrough is at its end, I would like to ask one final question to Vince about that….

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

I have now viewed both of Vince’s playthrough sessions with good sound (the sound in the first one was so abysmal I gave up after two minutes…). I’m enjoying the extra insights into the development of the game (I also love the fact that Wadjet Eye always includes developer commentaries). I never really took notice of the people in the background in Ozzy’s office. And definitely didn’t see they were based on adventure game protagonists. Could be a fun game - who can recognize the hairstyles on show.

One thing in the plot still bugs me a bit. At the end of the scene in the vault, Ed is locked up inside the vault, Ray is in shock and Det. Bennet is beaten up. Next scene Ray and Bennet are apparently wanted by the police, and Ed is roaming free. How did Ed get out of that vault? Why didn’t Bennet just arrest him for murder? Or did I miss anything in the dialogue that explains it? Maybe Vince can shed some light on that during his next playthrough session?

It seems most (if not all) of the players who finished so far reached the same ending at first before experimenting. What I would like to know - which ending does Vince himself consider the ‘best’ ending?

Sefir - 06 June 2016 04:07 AM

I’ll also jump into this thread as often as possible if you have any questions about the game, the development, or the planned semi-sequel that may never see the light of day!

Since this playthrough is at its end, I would like to ask one final question to Vince about that….

That’s a question that interests me as well. What would it take for that game to become reality?

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Lots of great puzzles and really enjoyed the 4 character dynamic, perhaps could have been implemented more and for longer. However that probably would have required a much larger game overall.

Unfortunately I didn’t particularly enjoy the story that much really, but glad I gave the game another chance after giving up originally.

I have to say that overall, I also enjoyed the game, the ending was great, a few plot twists I didn’t see coming also.

The only negative is that I’ve seen this plot before and could have been more original.

I’ve been curious about this game for awhile and it was great to have finally experienced it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m sorry Sefir - I see the game is still stickied & will complete the game in the next couple of days!

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2004-09-28

PM

Hey, sorry I’ve been so busy I haven’t had a chance to drop back in.

kabouter - 06 June 2016 11:03 AM

One thing in the plot still bugs me a bit. At the end of the scene in the vault, Ed is locked up inside the vault, Ray is in shock and Det. Bennet is beaten up. Next scene Ray and Bennet are apparently wanted by the police, and Ed is roaming free. How did Ed get out of that vault? Why didn’t Bennet just arrest him for murder? Or did I miss anything in the dialogue that explains it? Maybe Vince can shed some light on that during his next playthrough session?

In order to stop Ed (who is wielding the only gun) from also killing Ray and Bennet, the security door is slammed shut between them.  If you paid attention, there was also another exit door in the room that Ed was.  Ed exited through that door and found another way out.  There is a lot of reference, including in Bennet’s very first scene, that the Police Chief is “in on it” and is somehow involved with the Eleven Foundation.  She was trying to get Bennet to quit following his leads.  So, once Ed gets out with the Resonance research and a handful of devices, he turns it all over to The Eleven Foundation, who then instructs the police chief to go look for Ray and Bennet for the murder of Anna.  This is all only hinted at and poorly explained. Mea culpa.

Really stretching it developer detail: If you look really closely at the map of the lab on the little terminal where you do your thermal scanning, the room containing the vault has the two exits.  One of them leads into a supercollider tunnel (the one with magnets that we used to enter), the other leads straight to a vent to the surface. (You can follow the shaft up through all the basement levels.)  This is the exit route that Ed used, which is how he beat them out.

Sefir - 06 June 2016 04:07 AM

I have a full-length follow up called “Aventine Bridge” fully plotted out and partially written.  It starts in Aventine City thirty-ish years after the events of Resonance and involves some of the characters from Resonance, but not the ones you might think.  It focuses on one (new) protagonist instead of a group, but the game jumps around between different periods in her story.  There are the requisite twists and turns, but its essentially a story about a mother (who happens to be an Aventine City police detective) trying to protect her family.

Unfortunately, I’m so busy with work and being a husband and father that I just see myself having the time or energy to devote to getting this game done.  I have started some proof of concept stuff for the game, but nothing heavy.  I program all day for my work and just don’t want to look at code any more afterwards.

So, I had a thought that I might instead write it as a Graphic Novel.  I wrote the scripts for the first three chapters and am pretty happy with them.  In order to test the waters of the comic medium, I wrote a short standalone comic called Prophetica and worked with a couple artists and an editor to produce it.  It came out pretty well and I put it up for sale for whatever price you want (including free).  That experience taught me that (A) comics still take a lot of money, time, and effort to produce, and (B) there’s not a huge market for them, or at least I wasn’t able to tap into it.

I still hold the story close to my heart and want to see it made someday in some format.  In another year, when my life has settled down here in Japan, I may look into getting a team together and getting the game on Kickstarter, but that’s a ways off.  I’m just not sure the money will be there, and every one of these personal projects for me is a risk I have to balance against feeding my family!

Some day! Grin

Let me know if you’ve got any other questions!  And thanks everyone for the kind words and valid criticism about the game!  Heart

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

As a fan of graphic novels (you seem to have done excellent work in Prophetica btw. I’ll surely buy it when I get the chance), I will not have any problem at all in releasing Aventine Bridge in that medium instead of an adventure game. I’m sure other people here will disagree. Truth be told, each case has its own pros and cons. The higher interctivity between the player and the characters in an adventure game may result in greater emotional connection, thus leaving the player more succeptible in storyline surprises like the vault one. On the other hand, within a graphic novel you can trully focus on the story elements since there are no riddles to distract the player (although Resonance is a bad example, since the riddles were superbly implemented within the story).

I would like to thank all participants for this playthrough and most of all Vince Twelve for his contribution. Resonance is a game I personally love and it was a blast re-playing it with you all. Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

At 4.5 stars, it is one of the highest rated games I’ve ever played:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/21793

It also won the aggie for best independent adventure game:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/24014/page15

So, I am quite glad I got to play it.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

So, are we getting a new community playthrough voting thread? I did a search for it an found nothing:

My votes:

Kathy Rain - Mike Kelly leader

Fran Bow - Mike Kelly leader

Zero Effect 3 - Mike Kelly leader

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top