• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dystopian Games

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2014-05-26

PM

Hey guys, sorry if there is a similar thread. Couldn’t find one when I searched. Anyway without further ado I’ll get straight to the point.

Do you know of any good dystopian games the kinds of for example Gemini Rue?

Thanks!

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Pikafak - 30 May 2016 02:52 PM

Hey guys, sorry if there is a similar thread. Couldn’t find one when I searched. Anyway without further ado I’ll get straight to the point.

Do you know of any good dystopian games the kinds of for example Gemini Rue?

Thanks!

Yes, the only games that follow GR are,

Moment of Silence and to some extent Primordia.
I am sure gamers here will guide with more like Technobabylon or Shardlight etc.

But MomentofSilence is essentially Orwellian.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

my fav plot,  Dystopian!
but not necessarily following GR idea ‘r plot

as nomadsoul said , add:

Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals
Blade Runner
Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy
AlternativA
A New Beginning
Future Wars
Perry Rhodan
DreamWeb
Neuromancer
Culpa Innata
Manhunter
Beneath a Steel Sky
Angel Devoid

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

There is also:

Legacy: Dark Shadows.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17567

Strangely, I actually enjoyed this very low budget game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Advie - 30 May 2016 07:39 PM

Blade Runner
AlternativA
A New Beginning
Future Wars
Perry Rhodan
DreamWeb
Neuromancer
Culpa Innata
Manhunter
Beneath a Steel Sky
Angel Devoid

Blade Runner
Perry Rhodan
A New Beginning
Beneath a Steel Sky
Dead Synchronicity

Future Wars
DreamWeb
Neuromancer
AlternativA
Culpa Innata
Manhunter

Angel Devoid

quoted & edited in two categories for helping you Pikafak or just pointing out at (imo) the best of the list and the 2nd best,  but keep at mind that some are very old and might need to track and follow their reviews and release date.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

my fav plot,  Dystopian!

as nomadsoul said , add:

Blade Runner
AlternativA
A New Beginning
Future Wars
Perry Rhodan
DreamWeb
Neuromancer
Culpa Innata
Manhunter
Beneath a Steel Sky
Angel Devoid

Advie: PhD in dystopian gaming. Nerd

Maybe add Rise of the Dragon, A Mind Forever Voyaging and perhaps B.A.T. (hybrid)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 30 May 2016 10:34 PM

my fav plot,  Dystopian!

as nomadsoul said , add:

Advie: PhD in dystopian gaming. Nerd

Maybe add Rise of the Dragon, A Mind Forever Voyaging and perhaps B.A.T. (hybrid)

ma man,  ma man, 
dont shoot me but i never played AMFV,
or maybe ahem* you gotta shoot me as i did not play any infocom texts,  that why we need you and karlok at the test experiment ,perhaps   Wink

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

My definition of “dystopian” seems to differ. Some of the games mentioned here are just futuristic. In others, the dystopian setting is more of a backdrop and they could just the same happen in the wild west or in feudal Japan.

That being said, games that definitely fit the bill IMO are Papers Please, Normality and The Feeble Files. The problem is The Feeble Files is really awful and Normality I liked but I suspect I wouldn’t have liked it today.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 30 May 2016 11:57 PM

that why we need you and karlok at the test experiment ,perhaps   Wink

I wrote a passage there and then had my work undone by someone who apparently didn’t want the main character to be female.  Thumbs Up

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

go and make him/her a female again if you want.
or even you can dismember his balls, whatever,
i also wanted to take the plot toward something like the movie 8MM, but then same as here,  the Wino guy had igonred the line/ i input.
but anyways,  i dont mind what he
is making of the thread,  its like challenge inside the challenge,  HELL!!  we adventure gamers were born for this (un)kind of shit,  Grin : ]  Tongue

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Antrax - 31 May 2016 12:01 AM

My definition of “dystopian” seems to differ. Some of the games mentioned here are just futuristic. In others, the dystopian setting is more of a backdrop and they could just the same happen in the wild west or in feudal Japan.

That being said, games that definitely fit the bill IMO are Papers Please, Normality and The Feeble Files. The problem is The Feeble Files is really awful and Normality I liked but I suspect I wouldn’t have liked it today.

you could be right due to the fact that i can not **sense** the word in its native sense,  dystopia the word senses to me always as the word post-apocalyptic would,  and i understand still, it does not need to be futuristc to be so,  but most of literature (imo) had dealt with post-apocalyptic in the sense of upcoming story of sorta imagination for the futue, like PKD or Orwil.

yet i am intersted to hear of you a certain title (a famous book or movie) which i could sense the word dystopia without the act of dark serious *future* but rather a current timing, from the author perspective?

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Dystopia must be a dark future, that’s pretty much the definition. That being said, let’s say we take a game like Cognition and add that it happens 20 years in the future and they’re all horribly underpaid and depend on drugs to go through their day. It would turn it into a superficially “dystopic” game, but I wouldn’t classify it as such.

In the games I mentioned, the society the protagonist is a part of is an integral part of the story. You can’t tell the story of Normality without the culture it describes, for instance. That’s the distinction between “a game that occurs in a future we might not like” and a game where this dark state of society in the future is inherent to the story.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Let me tell you about Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth, the funniest dystopian game out there that actually raises some very serious themes. The setting is post-atomic war, surviving humans return back to the surface inhabited by peaceful mutants. People immediately start another war against mutants, enslave them and establish a totalitarian government with a madman in the lead. And then the new big-eared hero is born. The game’s old and very obscure, but the wonderful graphics and tons of animations make it timeless.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Is dystopia complete without bigbrother society?

Anyway add Dreamfall to the list.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I’m glad the definition of dystopia got cleared up, as I can’t see how can Rhodan: Myth of the Illochim / The Immortals of Terra: A Perry Rhodan Adventure fit under it. It’s a great scifi though.

Seeing as most of my favourites are already brought up, I can add only few more.

I liked:
The Silent Age
The Rebirth/The Reaper (short free prequels to fantastic Shardlight)

Not the best of my experiences but everyone its own:
Richard & Alice

Haven’t got a chance to play, but maybe somewhat dystopian:
Conspirocracy
Deponia tetralogy

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

It doesn’t get much more dystopian than Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today

lewuz - 31 May 2016 12:17 PM

I’m glad the definition of dystopia got cleared up, as I can’t see how can Rhodan: Myth of the Illochim / The Immortals of Terra: A Perry Rhodan Adventure fit under it. It’s a great scifi though.

Yeah I agree, I don’t recall anything dystopian about Perry Rhodan. In fact many of the previous mentioned games are imo great sci-fi, but not really outright Dystopian.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top