• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Désiré

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/27574

This was released last week. It looks rather interesting to me, especially as Désiré sounds a lot like myself as a boy, minus the color-blindness. It also looks to have a rather serious critique of society at its heart, which is welcome.

I don’t suppose anyone’s played it yet, so any thoughts?

When the schoolteacher asks Désiré why he didn’t draw the sun like the other pupils, he replies spontaneously: « It’s always night in my head. »

Désiré is colour-blind from birth and he will lead you into in world of black and white. He marches on hesitantly, as life never brought him much joy. From a tender age, he is going to meet several characters who will elicit in Désiré intense emotions and alter his vision in surprising ways. Is colour at the end of the road?

The game is, at its core, a critique of the modern world and of the perverting nature of a consumer, profit-obsessed society.

The game contains 4 chapters, 50+ scenes, 40+ characters and a lot of riddles.

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Read two player reviews at Steam. I don’t feel like playing this one. Too much unappealing sexual hangups and obsessions. Sounds like grim stuff.

EDIT: Don’t read the Steam reviews if you want to play the game. Too many spoilers.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sexual hangups? I thought it was about a pre-teen kid? That doesn’t sound good at all.  Mini Frown

Although, I don’t know what else I expected from a French existentialist game…

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

He’s 12 at the start of the game, but he grows up and becomes an adult.

EDIT: Apparently, even at the beginning there’s some rather sad but realistic stuff going on which has to do with sex.

EDIT2: And one look at the pic you posted is enough to know there will be sex…

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 15 May 2016 07:23 AM

EDIT: Don’t read the Steam reviews if you want to play the game. Too many spoilers.

Don’t read Steam reviews in any case.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Shouldn’t you two be finishing R.O.M.? Tongue

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

I just finished it, have mixed feelings about it. About pretty much every aspect of it. One moment I’m enjoying the beautiful artwork and quite a few detailed animations. Next moment I’m thinking, “Enough with the sprites facing in one direction and moving in another!” At times puzzles are quite reasonable, and then it’s like “why do I have to do these actions only in this order? Why did this option become available only now?” The game is very easy, so it’s never a serious roadblock, but it’s annoying.

And what they’re saying about “a critique of the modern world” is just laughable. Some moments do have a very genuine feel about them. But a large part of the dialogues is just a bunch of stereotypes and cliches. “Emancipated woman’s worst enemy is her family and kids!” “Absolutely!” I suppose people can start arguing about what is meant by that. They’re making a bold statement? No, see, it’s reductio ad absurdum, they’re really cleverly subverting the statement! But it’s all really just too shallow to be worth anything much.

I think I can sum it up like this: if you’re not writing the script for South Park, and you have Jesus saying the line “Just call me Jesus” (I’m not making it up), that’s not going to work out so well.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2016-05-29

PM

The characters are too caricatured for a cartoon game? Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top