• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2015

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The Aggies nomination has been Launched, Yay!..

I see five Ags have good chance in winning the best of the year:

Broken Age
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
STASIS
Anna’s Quest
Life Is Strange.

i dont get how Technobabylon is nominated for best Acting!

Total Posts: 1666

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

I wonder what makes Broken Age so innovative to be nominated for the best concept?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

DarkEye - 12 February 2016 04:28 PM

I wonder what makes Broken Age so innovative to be nominated for the best concept?

I asked myself the same question. Design-wise, the game is as vanilla as it gets, so it’s got to be something else. The Kickstarter? The open development process?...

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Disappointed the way the Aggies went this year but it is what it is…
Her Story is probably going to rack up some awards and judging by the criteria applied it shouldn’t even a be possible nomination

Kurufinwe - 12 February 2016 05:06 PM
DarkEye - 12 February 2016 04:28 PM

I asked myself the same question. Design-wise, the game is as vanilla as it gets, so it’s got to be something else. The Kickstarter? The open development process?...

Just guessing but it’s probably the story concept

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

wilco - 12 February 2016 07:16 PM

Her Story is probably going to rack up some awards and judging by the criteria applied it shouldn’t even a be possible nomination

Yeah.. shrug. IMO we should just say: the telltale games were not nominated because they were not particularly great. Tongue Because yeah… her story does not have puzzles or exploration.
Anyway, the best traditional/non categories are a reminder this was a very good year with extremely solid games. Most of them are without a doubt worthy.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

zane - 12 February 2016 07:37 PM

Yeah.. shrug. IMO we should just say: the telltale games were not nominated because they were not particularly great. Tongue Because yeah… her story does not have puzzles or exploration.
Anyway, the best traditional/non categories are a reminder this was a very good year with extremely solid games. Most of them are without a doubt worthy.

Tales Borderlands would be nominated for Best Writing - Comedy; Best Acting ; Best Music.
Until Dawn - Best Graphics; Best Gameplay ; Best Animation ; Best Acting ; Best Sound Effects
Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture - Best Everything Tongue

But I agree with you, what is nominated this year is really good. From the possible nominations I would take out Broken Age for Dead Synchronicity.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

oh HMM yeah, i forgot about until dawn. That is an odd exclusion. That arguably has puzzles sort of, certainly has exploration, and is a very good game also.
I havnt gotten around to this rapture game.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

To be honest I don’t understand why Telltale games are not here. If I remember correctly, both The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us were considered, so how do these 2 differ from Game of Thrones or Tales from the Borderlands. Gameplay wise, they are almost identical.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Yes, it does. It has both.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oscar - 12 February 2016 09:59 PM

Yes, it does. It has both.

arguing that is a stretch. About the same stretch as arguing puzzles and exploration are in tales from the borderlands. And arguably, they are.
I liked her story. But to me first and foremost: it is an interactive indexed script. Within 10 minutes i typed a word that I heard, which had no particular significance, but took me laaaaate into the story in the middle of reveals simply because all of the words are indexed. I dont know whether to call that a puzzle, or google Wink

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 12 February 2016 04:00 PM

Because it has some excellent acting!!!!

In fact it is in general an excellent game, and my own personal favourite closely followed by Stasis, Dead Synchronicity, BoUT2 and Anna’s quest.

SoccerDude28 - 12 February 2016 08:43 PM

To be honest I don’t understand why Telltale games are not here. If I remember correctly, both The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us were considered, so how do these 2 differ from Game of Thrones or Tales from the Borderlands. Gameplay wise, they are almost identical.

Apparently because they have finally seen the light and realized that what Telltale is making is Visual Novels and not Adventure games Tongue Anyway this is not something new, and they also didn’t review either of those two.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

zane - 12 February 2016 10:42 PM

I liked her story. But to me first and foremost: it is an interactive indexed script. Within 10 minutes i typed a word that I heard, which had no particular significance, but took me laaaaate into the story in the middle of reveals simply because all of the words are indexed. I dont know whether to call that a puzzle, or google Wink

You know very well that isn’t the puzzle. The puzzles in the game involve:
1) Making sense of the statements and making links between them to come up with new keywords
2) Finding ways of seeing material where the 5 video limit doesn’t let you see clips with a large search result
3) Piecing together and interpreting the statements to come up with your idea of what happened, and where you the protagonist fit in the story.

It is only an ‘interactive index of videos’ in the sense that Gabriel Knight 2 is an interactive index of videos.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 13 February 2016 01:55 AM
Advie - 12 February 2016 04:00 PM

Because it has some excellent acting!!!!

There no doubt about the quality of voice acting of Wadjet Eye Games
This is me quoiting my self at an earlier Cage Match

When it comes to voice acting/casting at Wadjet Eye Games, one has to stop and stand astonished by the quality they give, and to never ever underestimate the power of voice acting over the quality/experience of one adventure game.

But with this part of this category description

This category refers to the overall quality of vocal roles in a game, not to individual characters.

i think an adventure that lacks voice description, and however the quality of voice actors were, lags behind the idea of ‘overall quality of vocal roles’, as narration or voice description had been always a main aspect of vocal quality of adventure gaming since the beginning of this feature in early 90s.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oscar - 13 February 2016 02:21 AM

It is only an ‘interactive index of videos’ in the sense that Gabriel Knight 2 is an interactive index of videos.

Oh no. Mechanically, in GK2 you have an inventory, use items on the environment, examine items, interact with them, interview people, splice together recordings, explore locations, and solve a variety of puzzles that are unique to the situation you are in.
Mechanically, in her story you do one thing: type words into a search bar.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

zane - 13 February 2016 07:46 AM
Oscar - 13 February 2016 02:21 AM

Oh no. Mechanically, in GK2 you have an inventory, use items on the environment, examine items, interact with them, interview people, splice together recordings, explore locations, and solve a variety of puzzles that are unique to the situation you are in.
Mechanically, in her story you do one thing: type words into a search bar.

If you are going to ignore all the work the brain does, at least do it consistently: Mechanically, in GK2 all you do is click on things.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

See this is how we ended up going from “oh telltale games are just like other adventure games with modernized mechanics” to “whered the game go?”
You cannot tell me that her story has a similar depth of gameplay to GK2. The only thing they have in common is FMV. All that clicking in GK2 is simulating doing many different actions with a narrative that is impacted by those actions. In her story you are digging up the narrative in a non-linear way that is driven by word association. Its clever, but it also has a very stripped down feel compared to the rest of the genre. Similarly to what we are left with for telltale games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top