• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Preposterous Awesomeness of Everything

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Saw this on Steam and it’s already out on humble store:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/tpaoe_storefront

The Preposterous Awesomeness of Everything is a satirical point-and-click adventure game, about progress, politics and propulsive nozzles. It features a traditional verb-based interface, with updated verbs (including ‘befuddle’, ‘disrespect’ and ‘pray-for’), unique collage-based art and ~15,000 words (3-4 hours?) of intellectually stimulating satirical shenanigans.

The preposterous Awesomeness of Everything is about an apparently primitive society, attempting to work together to build a space rocket. It follows these people, from disordered chaos (the past), through a disgusting and distorted and horrible and hilarious kind of faux-democracy (the present (SATIRE! Amirite?!?!)), into the unknowable, irrelevant emptiness of outer space (the future).

Along the journey players will encounter a host of colourful characters (including the mysterious Man with the Little Pencil, the superfluous Man in the Wren Suit and the fabulous Helen), they will solve a variety of engaging puzzles, and they will be forced into making a number of difficult moral decisions, with potential disastrous consequences!

Such a weird looking adventure that it might be good in some way, but don’t really want to dive in blind. Anyone played it?

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Looks totally whack, wilco! Crazy I doubt anyone has played it yet though…according to Steam it doesn’t come out until tomorrow (Feb 9). I’ll be looking for reviews in the next few days!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i am both intrigued, and hesitant to pay full price for this Tongue
The art looks like it was photoshopped kind of haphazardly. That of course doesnt mean its bad…..maybe…..

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

In the words of a living current day philosopher, dat shit cray!

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

I gave it a go and found it quite short but enjoyable!

It might be a bit too easy for some but there were a few good puzzles in there.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Was just talking about it in the discount thread, it’s different at least - the looks and the subject.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Review is up at the main site.

I fear a lot of people are going to look at the poor rating, and not read anything in the review itself, and consequently miss the apparent point of this game…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

That review made me want to buy it.

I think it’d make sense to move the bottom disclaimer about the number of stars for this game at the top of the review. Would help mitigate the effect of the rating on people who look at the rating first or maybe putting it in the Our Verdict section..

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Giom, that’s great! Exactly the sort of reaction I was hoping for. Scare off most people who wouldn’t enjoy a game like this but intrigue those who might.

The “bad” list right at the top states that the obvious failings are really beside the point, and the verdict states that its problems as a game are “self-confessed”. That’s two very obvious clues that all is not what it seems. If that’s not enough for people to pick up on, they probably aren’t going to care much about a game that’s all about symbolism. Tongue

Same can be said about reading the review. Anyone too lazy to read at least a few paragraphs to get the proper lay of the land will have no interest in a reading-heavy game like Preposterous.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jackal - 23 June 2016 08:42 AM

Giom, that’s great! Exactly the sort of reaction I was hoping for. Scare off most people who wouldn’t enjoy a game like this but intrigue those who might.

I just read the “good/bad” and “verdict” blurbs and thought they didn’t seem to match with the score. That immediately made me read the entire review. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Jackal - 23 June 2016 08:42 AM

Same can be said about reading the review. Anyone too lazy to read at least a few paragraphs to get the proper lay of the land will have no interest in a reading-heavy game like Preposterous.

You do have a point Smile And yes, the good/bad are pretty big hints

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Interesting, TMM. In what way didn’t you think they matched? Score too high or two low? I couldn’t imagine a score much different than what the bullet lists describe.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jackal - 23 June 2016 10:29 AM

Interesting, TMM. In what way didn’t you think they matched? Score too high or two low? I couldn’t imagine a score much different than what the bullet lists describe.

Score too low, of course.
It’s mainly the notion that you state that the bad is beside the point. Made me wonder why the score was bad then.
If you state that the bad is beside the point, then I wouldn’t think twice if I saw 4 stars next to it. Seeing only 2 made me think “why so low if the bad is beside the point”... if you get my drift.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Ah, yes, I see. That sort of ambiguity was entirely intentional.

Still, just to clarify, 2 stars instead of 4 because even though it’s beside the game’s point, I couldn’t pretend that the same point couldn’t have been made in a much, much better game experience.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jack, I total get your point, AND the score.
It’s just that I didn’t get it based on the “good/bad” and “verdict” blurbs. Wink

The review is pretty mandatory in this case…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top