• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdamBeckywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword nominated for the Guinness World Record

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 06 February 2016 01:39 PM
chrissie - 06 February 2016 01:29 PM

For a genre that’s continually reported as ‘dead’ I think it’s great that any Adventure Game is going to make it into The Guinness World of Records albeit the argument about whether the Broken Sword series is the most accurate & appropriate one to be included - Rejoice anyway!!!!!  Thumbs Up

Mini Frown
Hi chrissie,
i guess thats the same as suggesting how small we are, so i have to object.

Welcome back Advie! Smile The Guinness Book of Records is about non-game related far larger achievements/records on the greater scale of things. So yes, games are a very small part of that altogether & even more so the Adventure Game genre which in the way of the world is quite tiny to look at it in perspective. For the people compiling TGBoR who probably are viewing how it is in a different way to those of us who dabble may not have enough knowledge to perhaps see the AG genre as bigger ... if that makes sense! So yes, the AG genre in context of TGBoR is very small!!!!    Laughing

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 06 February 2016 01:55 PM
Advie - 06 February 2016 01:39 PM
chrissie - 06 February 2016 01:29 PM

For a genre that’s continually reported as ‘dead’ I think it’s great that any Adventure Game is going to make it into The Guinness World of Records albeit the argument about whether the Broken Sword series is the most accurate & appropriate one to be included - Rejoice anyway!!!!!  Thumbs Up

Mini Frown
Hi chrissie,
i guess thats the same as suggesting how small we are, so i have to object.

Welcome back Advie! Smile The Guinness Book of Records is about non-game related far larger achievements/records on the greater scale of things. So yes, games are a very small part of that altogether & even more so the Adventure Game genre which in the way of the world is quite tiny to look at it in perspective. For the people compiling TGBoR who probably are viewing how it is in a different way to those of us who dabble may not have enough knowledge to perhaps see the AG genre as bigger ... if that makes sense! So yes, the AG genre in context of TGBoR is very small!!!!    Laughing

Heyy,
well, i am sure you must have a great future as a lawyer, chrissie!, cuz i cant stand a chance against this argument Grin

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Looking into it a little more I think Broken Sword stands out as the most enduring game over others suggested just by the fact that Revolution Software have been responsible for continuing the series & have meanwhile between games continued to produce Director’s Cut versions etc & ports for handheld devices so therefore worthy of inclusion into TGBoR. Yes, another contender is the ND series but my thought is that they are a ‘corporate’ production each probably made by a different team so…..NO!

Other candidates such as the later Monkey Island games were not (officially) made by the original developers as for the later games in the King’s Quest series i.e. The Silver Lining so I’m not unhappy with the Broken Sword series being the games that TGBoR wants to represent although I’m not in agreement that that they “redefined the point and click genre”!

Tex Murphy was mentioned but there hasn’t been the ‘activity’ between games as there was with BS! 

Advie - 06 February 2016 03:18 PM

author=“chrissie” date=“1454783394”]
Heyy,
well, i am sure you must have a great future as a lawyer, chrissie!, cuz i cant stand a chance against this argument Grin

Hey Advie, there’s no argument & you don’t need to be a lawyer to just look at things the way they are!!!    Smile

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

This is the weirdest selection for a record ever and there have been some weird ones over the way.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Burge - 07 February 2016 12:04 AM

This is the weirdest selection for a record ever and there have been some weird ones over the way.

Yes, but what would you nominate instead & why?  Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Doom - 03 February 2016 06:31 PM

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2016-02/03/broken-sword-guinness-world-record

The Broken Sword series turns 20 this year, and it’s getting a (very specific) Guinness World Record to celebrate.

The adventure game series, created by Charles Cecil and published by Revolution Software, first appeared on PC and the original PlayStation in 1996, redefining the point and click genre.

Oh, just hang on a minute!!!! - this is an external report which does not reflect exactly what TGBoR actually said & don’t seem to mention anything about redefining the point & click adventure:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2016/2/revolutions-broken-sword-videogame-series-awarded-with-record-for-longest-runnin

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

chrissie - 06 February 2016 03:29 PM

Looking into it a little more I think Broken Sword stands out as the most enduring game over others suggested just by the fact that Revolution Software have been responsible for continuing the series & have meanwhile between games continued to produce Director’s Cut versions etc & ports for handheld devices so therefore worthy of inclusion into TGBoR. Yes, another contender is the ND series but my thought is that they are a ‘corporate’ production each probably made by a different team so…..NO!

Other candidates such as the later Monkey Island games were not (officially) made by the original developers as for the later games in the King’s Quest series i.e. The Silver Lining so I’m not unhappy with the Broken Sword series being the games that TGBoR wants to represent although I’m not in agreement that that they “redefined the point and click genre”!

Tex Murphy was mentioned but there hasn’t been the ‘activity’ between games as there was with BS!

That bit about Tex Murphy just doesn’t make any sense aside from justifying Broken Sword as a worthy winner of a somewhat dubious accolade.

BS1:  1996       MS:  1989
BS2:  1997       MM:  1991
BS3:  2003       KM:  1994
BS4:  2006       PD:  1996
BS5:  2013/14     OS:  1998
              TE:  2014                

The award was for the longest running adventure game character (excluding remakes etc.)
However you wish to look at it Tex has been going far longer than George/Nico. So what if there was a gap between OS and TE. There was a gap between BS4 and BS5. Not as large but still a sizeable gap. The reason for both hiatuses being lack of funds to create new games. And, in Tex’s case, there was a clear plan to write the follow-up to PD with the ending of OS.
It should also be noted that the chap from Guinness who decided on the award is an avowed Broken Sword fan.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jabod - 07 February 2016 02:17 PM

The award was for the longest running adventure game character (excluding remakes etc.)
However you wish to look at it Tex has been going far longer than George/Nico. So what if there was a gap between OS and TE. There was a gap between BS4 and BS5. Not as large but still a sizeable gap. The reason for both hiatuses being lack of funds to create new games. And, in Tex’s case, there was a clear plan to write the follow-up to PD with the ending of OS.
It should also be noted that the chap from Guinness who decided on the award is an avowed Broken Sword fan.

Fair comment Jabod! I would be overjoyed for any AG series to be included in TGBoR but may have a lot of complaints at them getting it totally wrong but if they had chosen that of Tex Murphy (a worthy contender) my only one would be that compared to the BS one that they didn’t keep it alive until years later & it precedes the experience of later gamers such as myself although I have now played 2 in the series & there was one enormous gap!  Laughing

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

chrissie - 07 February 2016 02:48 PM

Fair comment Jabod! I would be overjoyed for any AG series to be included in TGBoR but may have a lot of complaints at them getting it totally wrong but if they had chosen that of Tex Murphy (a worthy contender) my only one would be that compared to the BS one that they didn’t keep it alive until years later & it precedes the experience of later gamers such as myself although I have now played 2 in the series & there was one enormous gap!  Laughing

The thing was Chrissie that Chris Jones and Aaron Connors were trying to keep Tex alive. Overseer ended on a massive cliff-hanger. From memory Aaron Connors had 3 more stories in hand. Then Microsoft bought out Access software and then did nothing with the character (I think they bought the company for its Golf sims). It took ages for Big Finish Games to get back the rights to Tex. They created two casual games series (3 Cards and Rita Murphy (oops. Edited to add that should read Rita James Gasp )) in an attempt to create funds for the next game which didn’t work (Aaron Connors is on record saying that he’ll never do another casual game ever) although I quite enjoyed them - in a casual way of course Sarcastic

And just because the games are older (and with an acknowledged gap) than many people’s gaming experience doesn’t invalidate the claim. To give a film example:

Raiders Of The Lost Ark:    1981
The Temple Of Doom:        1984
The Last Crusade:          1989
Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull:  2008

Oh look. 19 years between the 3rd and the fourth (we’ll ignore the fact that Skull is roundly derided) but it’s still an Indiana Jones film despite the gap. Same actor, same character, same concepts.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I understand what you are saying Jabod but TGBoR is not going to be focused on AG games & the history/struggles of them - they will be looking at the here & now & what seems to be the most prominent. Yes, a compiler for TGBoR likes the Broken Sword Series but as I’ve already said that Revolution Software have kept themselves up-to date & made their games accessible between ‘lean’ periods - my thought is that the BS series is very worthy (whether you like it or not) - I’m sorry Jabod, it just seems to be the most prominent enduring series which I don’t disagree with but would have otherwise entertained other certain series being the one!!! An AG in TGBoR has to be an achievement & not one to get too picky & emotional about surely?  Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Here are some more adventure “records” found in the Guiness site:

Longest wait for a sequel to a point n click adventure - Tales form Monkey Island

Least violent adventure game - Myst

Longest script for an adventure game - Until Dawn

First graphic adventure to allow players to switch roles - Larry 3

Most ported graphic adventure - Myst

Number of years guinness world records have not been relevant - 25

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 07 February 2016 04:15 PM

Longest wait for a sequel to a point n click adventure - Tales form Monkey Island

Tex gets robbed—again!

Least violent adventure game - Myst

Yeah, it’s just the story of two guys annihilating the population of four separate worlds.

First graphic adventure to allow players to switch roles - Larry 3

Maniac Mansion would like a word… Seriously, they’re not even trying, are they?

LOL. And so true. They’re basically like Buzzfeed delivered on bits of dead trees.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

wilco - 07 February 2016 04:15 PM

Here are some more adventure “records” found in the Guiness site:

Smile Kill the thread!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top