• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do you always play games on the hardest setting?

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2015-06-24

PM

Hello, what setting do you select in the opening game-play options before beginning a video game?
As a young man, I use to always select “easy” as the obligatory option. The idea of challenge was seen as something bad.
Now, as a older gentlemen, I always choose the hardest difficulty, it prolongs the life of a game and makes it more engaging. For games such as Resident Evil, it transforms the game entirely.
In my opinion, all reviewers should be playing at the hardest difficulty setting to weed out bad design, a very easy experience allows users to shoot through content at a rapid pace, making for a passive experience that is very short.

Cool

ROCK ON!!!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I usually go normal unless I’ve read before the best experience is on hard.
But sometimes I feel normal is way too easy, that happened to me on Witcher 3…

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Interactive movies with bad balance , normal.
Other wise first normal then Hard.
Like i am getting S ranks in MGSV because the gameplay is really good.
Also did finish Bayo2 on hard.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I usually start at normal/medium and then ramp it up to hard or ultra hard, when it starts to fell too easy - or down to easy if I don’t like the actually combat, though if that is the case, I will most likely just drop playing it altogether.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I play on normal and don’t really feel guilty if I need to switch it to easy (like in Fahrenheit, oh gawd…) Then if it’s like Diablo III where normal is basically immortal, I do crank it up immediately. I do replay some strategy games with harder settings or try harder bosses/hard modes in MMORPGs but I’m not really into all the most extreme difficulty settings.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I usually play normal but there are a few games where playing on hard made the gaming experience better. One example I can think of is Gears of War. A big strategy of that game is flanking, especially when there is a turret, and when you flank, you really feel a sense of achievement. You really don’t need to flank if you are playing it on normal, because you don’t take as much damage by the turret. So in that case, playing it on hard adds to the sense of accomplishment in the game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

It depends.

If adventure games have a difficulty setting for the puzzles, I go for the most difficult setting (or Mega-Monkey Mode or whatever).
If they have a difficulty setting for action/timed sequences, then I’ll do some research first as to what’s best, otherwise I’d probably pick either “normal” or “easy” depending on my mood (I don’t play AGs for the action).

For casuals I usually go for the “normal” difficulty, which is often named “Advanced”.

In other genres (RPGs and shooters mostly, although it’s been a while since I last played a FPS) I always start on “normal” as I reckon that’s the intended setting by the devs.
If a game turns out to be too easy or too hard, then I’ll switch settings while playing.
If the game has brilliant gameplay, then I could see myself bumping it higher and maybe even going for the hardest difficulty on a replay (CoD1 and KotOR1 come to mind).
If I DON’T like the game, or it has become tedious, but I want to finish it to see how the story ends, I tend to go with the easiest setting and bulldoze through to the end.

And in sports games, I usually start at one of the easier settings, and work my way up to where the game is still a challenge but realistically manageable (and by that I mean that for instance my division three team can win its division easily enough, but can’t beat a first division team). Once I get good enough to compete at the next level, I bump the difficulty.

The same goes for turn-based strategy (and by that I specifically mean the Civilization series): start at the easier ones (Chieftain/Warlord) and work my way up to where I can still hold my own and occasionally win (which is often the Monarch level).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

If switching hard makes ai works better why not ofcourse but when you see equal enemies doesnt go down after 5 hits/shots and still come at you like a punch bag this unnecessary repetitions becomes nothing but a filler it’s complete waste of time.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2015-06-24

PM

Thanks!  Smile

ROCK ON!!!

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2015-11-05

PM

Well It depends.

In adventure games I choose the most difficult setting in other genres I start with easy and if I play again I try harder settings.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-01-04

PM

it is clear that all true gamers like to increase the level of difficulty but when the game does not allow you to change the difficulty level because the game is already difficult enough? When you playing dumb ways to die this just happens. Sometimes it makes you want to break the phone!

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

I usually play on normal or easy, since I get frustrated and my enjoyment of the game goes down if I die a lot.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

have to feel things out based on the genre and developer. I want to play a game and feel like: if i stop trying i am going to lose. I do not really want to feel like im going to lose because my timing is off by a fraction of a second despite my best efforts. For some developers thats what hard means.. to eliminate room for any error and make it frustrating. But for other devs hard means a pretty basic level challenge. So it can be tough to decipher particularly when you havnt even played the game yet and youre having to make these choices! I am right now playing bloodborne.. a game with no difficulty choices.. and it is hard. It walks a fine line of being too frustrating to enjoy.. but it also reels you in because it makes death a mechanic. You dont just lose when you die, youre whisked off to “the dream” and your death animations are played to other players. That sort of thing can work for a game that is designed to be unforgiving.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I usually go on the internet and try to guage how much of a challenge ‘normal’ posed to players. If people describe it as too easy I will play on hard. For instance: I started Bioshock on Hard and I am glad I did. Game still wasn’t all too difficult.

Now if game has an amazing story but is known for horrid gameplay, thus I know I won’t enjoy the gameplay but still want to live the story, I will put it on an easier difficulty.

Joined 2013-06-18

PM

Playing mostly on medium ,but hard is a real challenge Smile

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2016-01-21

PM

Always on easy! I am not so good at tough puzzles.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top