• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini banned for 8 years by FIFA Ethics Committee - @AP https://t.co/FPIajx2AyQ

Now we’ve just got to watch out for their long lost twins Wink

As for Man u, I’m not sure the owners/fans realise there’s no quick fix to replace Fergie. The first mistake they made however, was letting Moyes replace the backroom staff. That was a huge error and rocked the boat. People seem to forget Fergie was terrible at first too and it wasn’t in till 2/3 years later he got them to the giants they became. These things take time. And bringing in a manager who probably has no intention of hanging around that long, won’t help.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tad - 21 December 2015 03:51 AM

People seem to forget Fergie was terrible at first too and it wasn’t in till 2/3 years later he got them to the giants they became. These things take time.

And luck. Man U more or less became the giants they became because they had almost an entire squad of awesome youth players that broke through in a single generation (Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, the Nevilles). That’s beyond rare.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

True, but I don’t it would be fair to just look at that as the only reason. I mean, look at Moyes. Practically the same players, yet Fergie got far more out of them.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tad - 21 December 2015 06:45 AM

True, but I don’t it would be fair to just look at that as the only reason. I mean, look at Moyes. Practically the same players, yet Fergie got far more out of them.

Well, it’s definitely not the only reason, and Ferguson did have a superb long-term vision, I’m just saying it’s part of the reason. A lot of things came together perfectly in the 90s. Including the immense popularity of bad boy wonder Cantona.
Moyes replacing most of the backroom staff was a huge error. They started setting things right when Giggs became assistant (since a club legend like him NEEDS to be involved). With him as assistant, there’s more pull for the manager as well (something Moyes didn’t have but Ferguson had in spades).
Small caveat: Ryan Giggs is probably my most favourite player of all time. Smile

On another note, and switching to City, I think the reason that Vincent Kompany has refused several lucrative transfers in recent years (including more than one offer from Barcelona), is a long-term plan to become “Mr. Man City”, and going from player to player-assistant to player-manager to manager in a few years.
Well, either that, or going for managing director or something. Either way, I think he wants to play a HUGE role in the club after his footballing days are over.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

If so, that’s nice to hear there’s some loyalty in football. It’s rare.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tad - 21 December 2015 08:07 AM

If so, that’s nice to hear there’s some loyalty in football. It’s rare.

Rare but not non-existant. Look at how long Ferguson was in charge of Man U. Look at Arsène Wenger.

And Man City is a club that could use a little consistency (although they haven’t done so badly these last couple of years - there’s definitely a long-term plan in effect).

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

And I think Man City will probably be better off for it - depending their plan is actually good. . For all the money they have, it can only buy you so far up the league.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Resurrecting the thread because Leicester won the Premier League! Woohooo
Seemed something so impossible in this age…now the question is, who will play Vardy in the Hollywood movie about this? Smile

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

5000/1 odds at the start of the season.

It’s a football miracle.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Lucien21 - 02 May 2016 05:39 PM

5000/1 odds at the start of the season.

It’s a football miracle.

Alien life discovered before 2017 has 1000 to 1 odds and Elvis being alive has 2000 to 1 odds so yeah… it`s a miracle Smile

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So, some nice football to see, Copa America Centenario already started, Euro 2016 starting tommorow! Anyone making predictions

Euro seems pretty open,  Germany is favorite but been lacking lately. Spain the same but it’s still a big favorite.
England shas nice team but not sure if they’ll play well together with Rooney still hanging around there.
I have high hopes for Portugal since we actually have a decent coach this time.
Still I think the tournament might have a surprise.

Copa America seems to be about Argentina and Colombia for now

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

I can`t wait, Romania (my country) against France in the opening match, I hope for a draw Heart Eyes

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m going for a Germany-France final. With Germany winning.
Germany is always a force to be reckoned with on the final tournaments.

As semi-finalists I see England and a luckbox Belgium. Despite the fact that half our defense is injured, and the coach still insists on playing his favourites, even when they’re out of form or don’t fit into the team’s style.

I expect a lot from France. They’re always very good on their own turf, and they’ve got a class young squad with a couple of superb players like Pogba and Griezmann.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Spain drops the ball again like two years ago.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Abnaxus - 08 June 2016 03:22 PM

I can`t wait, Romania (my country) against France in the opening match, I hope for a draw Heart Eyes

Romania has been missing in last tournaments, no? Still remember the awesome World Cup 94 campaign with Hagi dominating! Good luck, hope they surprise France

TimovieMan - 09 June 2016 06:53 AM

I’m going for a Germany-France final. With Germany winning.
Germany is always a force to be reckoned with on the final tournaments.

As semi-finalists I see England and a luckbox Belgium. Despite the fact that half our defense is injured, and the coach still insists on playing his favourites, even when they’re out of form or don’t fit into the team’s style.

I expect a lot from France. They’re always very good on their own turf, and they’ve got a class young squad with a couple of superb players like Pogba and Griezmann.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Spain drops the ball again like two years ago.

Not sure about France because of the recent problems with the team that ended up with them leaving some of the best players out (Benzema). Still, they are playing home so they’ll probably go far.

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

wilco - 09 June 2016 02:28 PM

Romania has been missing in last tournaments, no? Still remember the awesome World Cup 94 campaign with Hagi dominating! Good luck, hope they surprise France

We played in 2000 and 2008 but we didn`t do much. Steaua winning the Champions League in 1986 and the 94 World Cup were the golden years of Romanian football and it all went downhill from there. But who knows, every tournament is a new beginning… Meh

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top