• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Full Throttle remastered announced

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

I’m almost certain you can’t hit a dead end in dott.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m almost certain you can’t hit a dead end in dott.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I’m afraid so. The game doesn’t tell you that you’ll need item A from another character etc at times and you have no reason (from a story perspective) to think you would. There’s no logic by a character just knowing another character needs item A in a different time.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Tad - 08 December 2015 05:52 PM

I’m afraid so. The game doesn’t tell you that you’ll need item A from another character etc at times and you have no reason (from a story perspective) to think you would. There’s no logic by a character just knowing another character needs item A in a different time.

That’s not a dead end it could describe a badly designed puzzle, of which there are none in the best adventure game ever made.  Smile

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It becomes a deadend when you’re trying to go through one of the characters’ stories and you can’t progress anymore due to not knowing you’re suppose to interact with an item from another timeline. But, yes, it’s due to bad puzzles.

It’s bad, illogical puzzles that played a part in the decline in the genre (and better tech for other genres to grow of course). So, it’s personally not one of the greatest adventure games for me. Few of the “classics” are for me mind.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The possibility of a dead end in Day of the Tentacle is the same as Lt. Columbo not catching the killer.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tad - 08 December 2015 06:06 PM

It becomes a deadend when you’re trying to go through one of the characters’ stories and you can’t progress anymore due to not knowing you’re suppose to interact with an item from another timeline. But, yes, it’s due to bad puzzles.

No, it becomes a dead end when you need an object you no longer can obtain in the game. Even if you read a walkthrough, you’re still stuck and forced to reload an earlier save that way.
What you’re describing is just being regular stuck. A walkthrough will let you continue with ease.

You can call it a bad, illogical puzzle all you want, but it’s no dead end in this case. Wink

It’s bad, illogical puzzles that played a part in the decline in the genre (and better tech for other genres to grow of course).

You do realize that this game came at the very start of the Golden Age, right, long before the decline of the genre?
And that bad, illogical puzzles had been a staple of the genre since the very beginning?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Very well. It maybe have been a staple once upon a time, but people clearly got tired of it after a while. It’s something that needs to be stopped in my opinion.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

Super! A game me and my friends most enjoyed at that time. What an excellent gift this would be if only it could have been released early enough for season holidays.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 07 December 2015 09:02 AM

I can see where Oscar is coming from, but if I have to choose between:

+ LucasArts remakes

and

I’m choosing the world with LucasArts remakes (for the sake of adventure popularity, exposing classic games to bigger audience etc.).

While time is being wasted with these pointless remakes you could be getting a Grim Fandango 2 instead. So the question is, would you prefer a world with or without new adventure games?

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Oscar - 09 December 2015 10:59 PM
diego - 07 December 2015 09:02 AM

I can see where Oscar is coming from, but if I have to choose between:

+ LucasArts remakes

and

I’m choosing the world with LucasArts remakes (for the sake of adventure popularity, exposing classic games to bigger audience etc.).

While time is being wasted with these pointless remakes you could be getting a Grim Fandango 2 instead. So the question is, would you prefer a world with or without new adventure games?

I don’t think Disney and Sony are willing to take a risk on Grim 2, especially that the first one sold so poorly. Building a new game is way more expensive than remastering an existing one and a lot more risky, so your argument is moot. Without Grim remastered there probably won’t be a Grim 2 as well.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Surely if GF2 was going to happen it would have on the back of good sales of the remaster?

I personally wouldn’t want a GF2 as the first one was meh Smile

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

SoccerDude28 - 09 December 2015 11:13 PM

I don’t think Disney and Sony are willing to take a risk on Grim 2, especially that the first one sold so poorly. Building a new game is way more expensive than remastering an existing one and a lot more risky, so your argument is moot. Without Grim remastered there probably won’t be a Grim 2 as well.

‘Building a new game’ costs however much the producers want it to cost. This can range from free to millions of dollars. The only necessary cost is time, and while talented programmers are using it on remakes (how many now after MI, DOTT and FT?) they could be making great new AGs in their own startup companies.

Even cheap little freeware games are a better use of time - look what Samorost led to. These small indie developers are putting out, in my opinion, better games than the big companies nowadays anyway.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

What a joke! Original games aren’t limited by all the talented “programmers” being too busy doing remasters, they’re limited by the fact that most of them want a steady job and a decent salary, which means doing the projects you can get funded.

Adventure games, particularly more ambitious, high budget ones (and particularly ones that stick with traditional 2D/puzzle gameplay), are clearly a risky proposition. (For every Samorost, there are dozens of attempts that sank without a trace and without making any money.) That’s why we’re not seeing more of them, not because remasters somehow get in the way.

To imagine that if it weren’t for remasters, the teams would automatically be creating new adventure games is a fantasy. If Broken Age had been a big hit, I’m sure Double Fine would at this very moment be developing more original point-and-click titles, perhaps in parallel with these remasters. But it wasn’t.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

after a brisk nap - 10 December 2015 10:56 AM

What a joke! Original games aren’t limited by all the talented “programmers” being too busy doing remasters, they’re limited by the fact that most of them want a steady job and a decent salary, which means doing the projects you can get funded.

That’s their problem, isn’t it? Samorost was released by a student - no income, no job, and probably very little time. And it was free. It was also better and more creative than Broken Age. Dozens of great freeware games are released each month. So no, I don’t buy the argument that we need remasters to provide a job for programmers and increase the popularity of AGs.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top