• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Nearly 4000 Infocom documents and materials provided by Steve Meretzky now available online.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’m a big fan of digital archivist Jason Scott who produced and directed an amazingly comprehensive documentary on text adventures, GET LAMP. Scott came across a lot of cool materials during the development of that film and no one provided a better all-inclusive record of Infocom than its star designer Steven Meretzky.

Photographs and downloads of these Kubrick-like records are available here: http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/4834

Scott will be gradually rolling out these materials online through Archive.org but there’s already a wealth of interesting photos and papers to look through!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Coooool!!

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok, are you around? Reading it all? Smile

That is immense! Some interesting stuff like the sales data:

Well, sex sells
Naughty

Some cool ads:

And of course, cheap shots: )

The design documents of the games would probably be a lot interesting for someone that has played the games.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 24 November 2015 07:37 PM

Karlok, are you around? Reading it all? Smile

I’m around, but not much time for games at the moment. Looks interesting though.

That is immense! Some interesting stuff like the sales data:

Haven’t browsed any documents yet, but I find it hard to believe those sales figures are correct. US only? Just one year? I remember the Infocom days very well, I got interested in text adventures (and Sierra games) around 1986 and they were very popular in Holland, you could buy them in most book stores. I paid around 75-100 Dutch guilders for an Infocom game. And that’s A LOT OF MONEY. Might be one reason I hate it when people whine about spending 5 dollars on a Steam game they didn’t like.

Yeah, sex sells.  Meh
The sex in Leather Goddesses is tame though. Even by 1986 standards.

Wilco, you should have a look at the old The New Zork Times. Smile Great read.
I still think it’s incredibly childish of the New York Times to demand that Infocom changed its name.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 24 November 2015 10:01 PM

Haven’t browsed any documents yet, but I find it hard to believe those sales figures are correct. US only? Just one year? I remember the Infocom days very well, I got interested in text adventures (and Sierra games) around 1986 and they were very popular in Holland, you could buy them in most book stores. I paid around 75-100 Dutch guilders for an Infocom game. And that’s A LOT OF MONEY. Might be one reason I hate it when people whine about spending 5 dollars on a Steam game they didn’t like.

Yeah, sex sells.  Meh
The sex in Leather Goddesses is tame though. Even by 1986 standards.

It’s a bit confusing but there is lots of sales data in there. I think these ones are yearly. I guess Zork and Hitchhiker’s would be some of their greatest all-time sellers.

Karlok - 24 November 2015 10:01 PM

Wilco, you should have a look at the old The New Zork Times. Smile Great read.
I still think it’s incredibly childish of the New York Times to demand that Infocom changed its name.

Going to look it, thanks. (Found them although Google was also trying to censor it and change the search to New York Times…) Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top