• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Lady Kestrel - 16 November 2015 01:09 AM

It reminds me of a sci-fi novel I read years ago about a man who could change the world by dreaming.  I forget the title, but I’ll have to search my library database to see if I can find it again.  I think it was also made into a movie.

The Man Who Thought Life?
Book from 1965 movie from 1969.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That title doesn’t sound familiar, Izno.  In the one I’m thinking of, a psychiatrist who wants to change the world for the better gets involved, but, of course, things go wrong.  For example, the problems of racism disappear because everyone in the world turns a neutral and boring gray color.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Maybe The Lathe of Heaven?

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, that’s it, Becky!  Thank you so much!  It was one of the first LeGuin novels I read, and it made me a life-long fan of hers.  I do remember the first made-for-tv movie as well.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I remember watching it on PBS in the 80’s and wish I could find it again.

EDIT:  I mentioned it to a colleague and after lunch found a DVD with two movie versions of it from 2002 and the other from 2008 on my desk.  I don’t know where he got them but I’m not about to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

Laughing  Laughing

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished the new Lost Lands game.

I liked it, but didn’t love it. Perhaps playing it so soon after I finished leading the Lost Lands - The Four Horsemen playthrough diminished my enjoyment.

If you played Four Horsemen you know everything you need to know about Golden Curse. The interface is identical. Navigating via the interactive map is the same process. The dwarf, who played your sidekick in the first game, is replaced with a little girl, who also happens to be Maaron’s granddaughter. While Maaron is the common figure in both games, all the other characters are different. Except for you, the protagonist.

The game’s storyline is based on the King Midas’ curse theme. I.e., if you touch gold, you’re turned to stone. Albeit with a reverse twist in that the four main antagonists were once turned to stone, but now something has happened that has allowed them release from their stone bodies, and freed them to reap their havoc. It is, of course, your job to put them back where they belong.

You are less a facilitator in this game than you were in Four Horsemen. That is, you play a greater role in actually doing things, and much less of a role in simply enabling others to do the heavy lifting.

I did purchase the CE version. The Four Horsemen’s bonus game did an excellent job of explaining how the dwarf came to your rescue. I was hoping that Golden Curse’s bonus game would do something similar. Such was not the case.

The bonus game provides a backstory for one of the game’s minor characters. Unfortunately, it is a backstory we already knew because the character already told us how she came to reside where you found her. All the bonus game provides is a visual experience to the narrative. For the additional money you could have bought a whole new game. Not worth buying the CE.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

There’s a BOGO sale at Big Fish today (Black Friday). I bought Mystery Crusaders: Resurgence of the Templars CE and Eventide: Slavic Fable CE. With the coupon that getting the two CEs generated, I’ll get Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel, which Tim recommended earlier.

I’m going to wait on Lost Lands: The Golden Curse. Partly because Tim wasn’t impressed with the Bonus Game. But also because it seems that the Lost Lands CEs can eventually be purchased for $6.99 on Steam—that’s the regular price when they finally show up there.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Hang onto Dark Alley until you’ve played the demo. I don’t think I said I loved it. Only that it is similar to Azada. Both are ERS games and both are HO-free.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

A while back I wrote about Dead Reckoning: Silvermoon Isle, which I liked very much, so I had high expectations when I began the sequel: Dead Reckoning: Brassfield Manor.  Unfortunately, the sequel doesn’t live up to its predecessor.

You are investigating the murder of millionaire Reginald Greer in Brassfield Manor, who was slain the very night he was hosting a murder mystery party. This could have been a great gimmick, with the murderer corrupting the pre-set party clues, and you (the detective) beating the murderer at his/her own what-does-this-clue-really-mean game. But there wasn’t any of that here.  So we have a basic whodunit which is pretty straightforward – very little of the mystery is intricate or twisty. Your notebook allows you to keep track of suspects and evidence, but doesn’t add any important analysis. It merely repeats what you already know.

This is supposed to be a realistic game with a believable mystery set in an Art Deco mansion. There’s tons of lovely detail in the mansion upon which the eye can feast. But there’s a lavish use of colored mist. I have grown to expect colored mist in fantasy games. But why in an Art Deco mansion?

Items can be combined in inventory, which adds a layer of challenge, and the mini-games are fancily presented and show a wide range of difficulty. Some of the more difficult ones—the math-based deck of cards challenge, the multi-stepped hedge maze board, plus the gate ornament puzzle with the colored gems—which I got perilously close to solving, but no cigar. One light puzzle also held me up for a while just because I didn’t place the sketch-solution in the right part of the screen, so the puzzle wouldn’t activate.

(BTW, kudos to whoever thought of using a wine-foil cutter as an inventory item. I’d never even heard of wine-foil cutters before.)

Hidden Object screens pop up frequently, some list-based and some that use silhouettes. There are also a ridiculous number of locked up containers. These aren’t opened with standard keys, but with shapes. There’s an octopus shape and a top hat shape and a gun shape and a hunter shape. You will use a shape to unlock a cabinet where you find…  another shape. Very repetitive. Towards the end, it started to feel downright silly to pick up a blobby shape and carry it around from room to room until you find a basket with a blobby-shaped depression.

There are better ways to solve a mystery.

Something this game does really well is portraying Reginald Greer’s past indulgence toward his daughter, Penelope. Why shouldn’t Penelope attend the best schools and flounce around Europe when she feels like it? Why shouldn’t she have an amusement park in the back yard instead of a swing set? If she mentions she’d like to throw pots, build her an elaborate pottery studio. If she wants a pet fish, build an aquarium. She probably owns her own collection of wine-foil cutters just because she once asked what they were used for.

Seeing the results of this kind of over-the-top open-heartedness is fascinating. (I would never dream of being this indulgent with my own children, of course. Well, except for the best schools and the flouncing around Europe thing.)

I played the CE version of Brassfield Manor. The bonus section is brief and posits another element to the story, but doesn’t add anything remarkable. You can easily play the SE version without the bonus story.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

That’s a shame. I bought the first game based on your recommendation, and liked it very much. I wasn’t aware of the sequel, but think I will try the demo first.

BTW - Nice review on the front page.  Smile  Thumbs Up

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

rtrooney - 29 November 2015 12:36 PM

BTW - Nice review on the front page.  Smile  Thumbs Up

Thanks for your kind words. BTW—I’m playing the Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel demo. Kinda campy so far. Haven’t made up my mind about using that free coupon yet.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I was also going to say that the “comment” section at the bottom of the review was missing, but I see that it is missing on all the review/preview posts.

I don’t remember whether the demo gets you to the actual motel rooms and their door lock puzzles. It’s the type of puzzle I just despise. I.e. the solution is patently obvious, as is the technique for arriving at the solution. But the method for achieving the solution is tedious beyond reason. And they only get worse/harder with each successive door.

You either “gut it out” or use the Skip. When you Skip you are essentially saying “The puzzle isn’t difficult. I just have better things to do with my time.”

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Secrets of the Dark: Eclipse Mountain is part of a series from Orneon with a unique gimmick: flip the lights on/off, and the room changes… (see below for example screenshots) I couldn’t say whether the other version is earlier/later in time, or some supernatural alternate universe. But it does add another layer of spookiness to an exotic location in Thailand. This game is worth it for the visuals alone and the level of detail gives a feeling of solid reality despite the paranormal element. (Some may find the colors a tad murky, but I thought they were appropriate to the creepy storyline.)

The game follows a basic rescue storyline, in this case a friend who is trapped and about to be sacrificed by some scary weird demons. It is not strictly linear, so you wind up doing a lot of running around, and alas there is no map. However, this keeps you firmly grounded in this small town in the jungle, where they are apparently trying to get the tourist trade for their ancient temples, as the scenes include a hotel, a gift shop, and a museum.

There are a couple of dozen HO scenes, most of which fit in to the locale. Actually about a dozen scenes, which are mostly visited twice. About half the HOs are “put-back” scenes where you start with a pile of objects and have to fit them into the right place. Mini-puzzles range from moderately easy to extremely hard. Most are the kind of thing we’ve seen before, but adapted to the story, and often with a new twist.

There are almost no other characters (although you have some statues who will help you), so voiceovers are not an issue. The music is alright at first but becomes horribly repititous, and I had to mute it. I played the standard version; the CE version offers only an extra chapter, integrated guide, and wallpapers.

I loved the feeling of visiting a totally different part of the world and found the gameplay intriguing and at times challenging. Although it is an older game missing a few of the features we now find de rigeur (e.g. teleporting), Secrets of the Dark: Eclipse Mountain is a a solid 3 (out of 4) stars.

The first screenshot shows the museum when you first walk in. Notice the “halo” on the valve at the left. Touch that, and the room changes to the second screenshot.

Image Attachments

image33__full.jpg
image32__full.jpg

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This immediately went onto my BUY list. And it moved to the TOP of the list.

Like Emerald City Confidential, there is another game out there that straddles the Adventure/Casual fence. It’s called DaVinci Secrets or something close to that. It’s available on BFG.

I vaguely recall there being a camera obscura puzzle in that game that does the “now you see it, now you don’t” type puzzle. I love the architecture lines in the first screenshot.

Did you play the SE or CE? If the latter, was it worth it?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Cluelass—thanks for the review. I’ve started Secrets of the Dark: Eclipse Mountain twice but never finished it. I liked the “switching between two worlds” feature a lot. But I kept getting bogged down a couple of hours in—perhaps because of the lack of an interactive map. Does the last half of the SE version and the SE story ending make it worth persisting through to the end?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top