• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Suggestion: Get rid of birthday e-mails

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

What I’m referring to is the e-mails your forum software sends out when someone turns a year older. Sure, it can be nice if an actual person notices your birthday and greets you, but is anyone made happier by an automatic e-mail sent by the software that drives a forum? (Or worse, getting a bunch of them from various forums you’ve visited in the past.) Get rid of them, I say.

/ Grumpy old man

You can play my game Frasse and the Peas of Kejick for free! (AG review here.)

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Noooooooo! I love them!

I’m a happy old man Smile

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

Well, if you want to get more useless e-mail, I can hook you up with some spammers. Wink

I did smile a bit at Google’s logo being a birthday cake for me today (I use Gmail, so they know me), but that one had some little bit of creativity to it. I fail to see how a standard “happy birthday” message sent by a computer with no human involvement can hold any kind of value. If you want to keep it, how about customising it some way, and changing the message once a year? Then it could become a fun surprise (and a nice reminder that this place exists for those of us who have drifted away) rather than an annoyance. It wouldn’t have to be something elaborate (I’m not demanding a free adventure game or anything), or personal (that is clearly unfeasible for a forum of this size) but something - anything - that shows that a human has been involved somewhere along the line.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

go into settings, edit profile, and click the top option of every birthday field. There you go, no more birthday emails. Iv never gotten one. The site doesnt force you to enter your birthday.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

By the way… Happy Birthday Trumgottist ! 

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Abnaxus - 10 November 2015 07:04 PM

By the way… Happy Birthday Trumgottist ! 

I don’t think he had a happy birthday. It was completely ruined by this one email from our beloved AG Crazy

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

You could just put in a fake date or not fill it in at all.

Happy Birthday

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

We’re considering a new policy just for Trumgottist. No more “Happy Birthday” emails. There will, however, be 364 “Happy NON-Birthday!” emails each year! Grin

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

That’s a great idea! Let’s implement it Smile

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

tsa - 10 November 2015 10:20 PM

I don’t think he had a happy birthday.

You’re right.

It was completely ruined by this one email from our beloved AG Crazy

I may have overreacted slightly, but it was a sincere suggestion. (Particularly in my second post, where I tried to suggest how it could be improved.)

I have now followed zane’s and Lucien’s suggestion and removed my birthdate from your database, so I won’t be get any such mail in the future.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Well, with all due respect, your suggestion would just mean more work for those of us stretched far too thin already for something that’s entirely optional. (Yes, it’s a little thing. All the little things add up until it gets to be too much.) And it still wouldn’t fool anyone into believing we’re thinking of them specifically.

It’s not the wording that matters anyway, or even the occasion. It’s just a way of reminding people once a year that they’re part of a community. People can do with that as they will.

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

Thanks for making a reply without making fun of me this time.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Trumgottist - 16 November 2015 04:52 PM

I don’t think he had a happy birthday.

You’re right.

I’m sorry to hear that Frown. I would never have made fun of you if I knew that.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Oh please, no one made fun of you. Just a little general levity to lighten the mood after you’d already been given the solution you wanted.

I’m also sorry to hear you had a bad birthday, but really, this isn’t about us.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top