• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

2D platform adventure games?

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Hi. I’m kind of curious if there are any 2D platform games that come close to being adventure games? I know lots of them are focused on fighting but have some minor superficial adventure elements, like a character asks for an item and you bring it to them. But are there any platform games that really focus on inventory puzzles, and talking to people and examining things?

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Stuff like; Another World, Oddworld Abe’s Odyssey, maybe The Cave?

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

There was a whole genre like this in the ‘80s & ‘90s inspired by Dizzy, but I don’t know how well those games hold up.

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Stuff like; Another World, Oddworld Abe’s Odyssey, maybe The Cave?

I haven’t played those, but I think Another World and Oddworld are more about flipping switches and getting around obstacles to advance?

There was a whole genre like this in the ‘80s & ‘90s inspired by Dizzy, but I don’t know how well those games hold up.

Haven’t played Dizzy, but it looks like you collect items and stuff to solve puzzles, so yeah that might be close to what I’m looking for.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The Cave. It’s not about flipping switches, it has real adventure game puzzles by Ron Gilbert and there’s no fighting. Definitely sounds like the game you’re looking for.

Another World and Flashback are very good platform adventures, but I haven’t played them in 20 years or so, I don’t really remember exactly what the puzzles were like, only that there were some. As I can recall, those two games had an adventure game feel to them. In fact, I think I’ll go on GoG right now and get them! Smile

EDIT: Damn, they only have Another World. Flashback is the one I really wanted.. wasn’t there a remastered edition?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/18254
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/18454
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/18506
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/1730
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23201
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/24113

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Stick It to The Man is a must-play if you want a good platform adventure game.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

You should try the following games: Cave Story, La-Mulana, Treasure Adventure Game. Somehow I have a feeling this is what you are looking for Smile They belong to metroidvania subgenre - open-world platform adventures with the main focus on exploration, puzzle solving, obtaining new skills and action, of course. There are many characters to meet, inventory puzzles and quests to solve, secrets and so on. You might like some other metroidvanias too. I found those particular 3 very satisfying.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Treasure Adventure Game is not an AG despite the name. It’s more like a 2D Zelda. It’s not a bad game and the price is right, but still.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

None of them are adventure games in common sense, but I wouldn’t compare them to Zelda. They are much more advanced, varied and plot/puzzle-driven. The closest you can get among platformers (not counting Dizzy games, which, let’s be honest, are very outdated).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I’ll second Limbo from the (mis)adventures diego gave. It’s not exactly what you are looking for (no talking, no interaction with characters) but there’s none to minor action, mostly puzzle solving. and it has the best atmosphere and visual style i’ve seen in such a game. but you probably have already played it Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The Cave and Stick it to the Man are probably the closest to adventures, but Braid and Limbo are also excellent with focus on puzzles and story.
Thomas was also is also a excellent puzzle platformer with some adventure elements.

Dag - 08 January 2014 12:05 AM

EDIT: Damn, they only have Another World. Flashback is the one I really wanted.. wasn’t there a remastered edition?

There is a remastered version but has some bad reviews. It’s probably better to get the original.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

desiderio59 - 07 January 2014 10:39 PM

But are there any platform games that really focus on inventory puzzles, and talking to people and examining things?

Doki-Doki Universe

Contrast

Lost in Shadow (Wii)

Trine series could also fit.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Another World and Flashback are very good platform adventures, but I haven’t played them in 20 years or so, I don’t really remember exactly what the puzzles were like, only that there were some. As I can recall, those two games had an adventure game feel to them. In fact, I think I’ll go on GoG right now and get them! Smile

Dude Anotherworld new remake was the shit. Its obligatory for any gamer not just AG fan
to play the game, its that good. So many developers inspired from that game.

Flashback remake is utter crap.
Eric chahi retained the atmosphere in remake with details where needed, Flashback
remake destroyed the atmosphere and feeling completely, the graphic engine
didnt help the case either.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Console series called Lost Vikings (Super Nintendo) that seems to have puzzles more complicated then flipping switches. There are 3 characters that you switch between. I haven’t played it yet.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

nomadsoul - 08 January 2014 11:56 AM

Dude Anotherworld new remake was the shit. Its obligatory for any gamer not just AG fan
to play the game, its that good. So many developers inspired from that game.

Flashback remake is utter crap.
Eric chahi retained the atmosphere in remake with details where needed, Flashback
remake destroyed the atmosphere and feeling completely, the graphic engine
didnt help the case either.

Yeah, seems you’re right. I got the Another World remake from GoG. I haven’t begun playing it yet, but I’m looking very much forward to. I looked up the remastered Flashback, and it looks terrible. The charm of the original seems completely lost, but the original is supposedly included in its entirety, so I’ll probably get it anyway after I’m done with Another World. The reason why I wanted Flashback more is simply because I have much fonder memories of it. It was one of my favourite games back in the early 90’s and I played it a lot. Another World I only played a little bit at a friend’s, but I never owned it myself.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top