You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Technical Problem with "Vampyre Story"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 05:04 AM   #21
Monkeyboy

I'm for one is glad that adventuregames are taking the step up on hardwarespecs. This is 2008 and it's only natural that adventuregames should evolve in this department as well.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #22
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Does anyone have problems with specific 3D objects sometimes choosing to float in the air? Also, from time to time some of the animations of the characters don't play out, but at the next attempt, they do normally. Yet the most crazy thing that I experienced was Mona walking on the picture of the newt - and it happened each time I looked at it.

Last edited by Ascovel; 11-22-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #23
3rd person fanatic :)

The demo doesn't work. Every time I try to start it, it crashes back to desktop without any kind of error message.

Edit: Managed to run it at last... (honestly, I didn't change a thing, it just started... weird!) And i liked the demo. Kind of reminded me about The Curse of Monkey Island. Perhaps the only thing that annoyed me, was the rolling subtitles, and animations didn't contain subtitles at all. I can't help but wonder, why it's so damn difficult to make decent subtitles.

Last edited by MoonBird; 11-22-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
I'm for one is glad that adventuregames are taking the step up on hardwarespecs. This is 2008 and it's only natural that adventuregames should evolve in this department as well.
I am sorry, dont want to argue with you, just discuss... But I cant find your point - why is it a good thing that games that naturally DONT have such hardware requirements as 3D-games like shooter or sport-simulations or whatever should raise up their specs in hardware? Is it a sign for a good/new game when you need a rocket under your desktop? Dont think so - and I was so happy when AVS came out - also for the reason that it IS a classic-like game (even if the graphics are smooth and well painted). I would say that the quality of a game should not be represented by its hardware-specs...sorry.

And ok, I am normally an Xbox360-gamer - also because I dont want/cant spend my money for a new pc every four months.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #25

Both the demo and the full game just drop me right back to the desktop telling me "main.exe has encountered a problem and needs to shut down." On further investigation I found out the file "libpandadx9.dll" in the game directory is creating the problem.

I tried renaming the file for both the demo and full game.
The demo works, but it skips all the videos.
When I tried renaming it for the full game I hear the music and sounds of the intro logo, then it goes to the menu screen. But once I click "NEW GAME" the screen stays black. Nothing.

I already installed the DirectX that was included with the game, but I tried installing the latest version anyway, like someone suggested.
After it was finished installing, I saw that "libpandadx9.dll" was still renamed, so I renamed it back to its original name.

I double clicked "main.exe" having little hope, and lo and behold it worked! The Logo movies were shown. i clicked "NEW GAME" and I watched the intro movies. Everything was working just fine. I saw that anti-alias was set at "0" so I set it to "4", reset the game, and it didn't work after that.

/\ I had a revelation after writing that just now /\
Now, what was different about when the game worked and when it didn't?
*ding ding ding*
*Goes to reset Anti-alias back to "0", restarts game*
It works!!!!

So, for those having problems try renaming "libpandadx9.dll" to "libpandadx9.dll2" or whatever.
Start up the game and at the main menu put the anti-alias down to "0."
Turn off the game.
rename "libpandadx9.dll2" back to "libpandadx9.dll"
Start the game.

Hopefully this works for some of you.

Last edited by Drawken; 11-22-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #26

OmG! It works for me - thank you so much!!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #27
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_G View Post
I am sorry, dont want to argue with you, just discuss... But I cant find your point - why is it a good thing that games that naturally DONT have such hardware requirements as 3D-games like shooter or sport-simulations or whatever should raise up their specs in hardware? Is it a sign for a good/new game when you need a rocket under your desktop? Dont think so - and I was so happy when AVS came out - also for the reason that it IS a classic-like game (even if the graphics are smooth and well painted). I would say that the quality of a game should not be represented by its hardware-specs...sorry.

And ok, I am normally an Xbox360-gamer - also because I dont want/cant spend my money for a new pc every four months.
Well, if you got the impression that I rate games by their hardware requierments you misinterpreted me. My point is, why not ask for both a good storyline and good graphics when the equipment is being made use of in every other gaming genre?

I just don't see why you would want to settle for WORSE graphics when you are offered the option of better ones? That just seems dumb to me.

And why is it natural that adventure games don't have such hardware requirements? Surely it would contribute to the gaming experience to have a gorgeously painted picture instead of low resolution polygon objects?

And every four months is a bit harsh AVS ran fine on my 2 year old box.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
Well, if you got the impression that I rate games by their hardware requierments you misinterpreted me. My point is, why not ask for both a good storyline and good graphics when the equipment is being made use of in every other gaming genre?

I just don't see why you would want to settle for WORSE graphics when you are offered the option of better ones? That just seems dumb to me.

And why is it natural that adventure games don't have such hardware requirements? Surely it would contribute to the gaming experience to have a gorgeously painted picture instead of low resolution polygon objects?

And every four months is a bit harsh AVS ran fine on my 2 year old box.
Ok every four months is harsh, you are right And of course it would be great if there would be adventures that are trying to get the last drop of the system and would blow us away with bombastic graphics and evolutionary gameplay. THEN I would agree that a good/high-end system is worth the money. But there are no (not yet?!) adventures like that. Perhaps I am a bit old-fashioned - still happy with adventures like Monkey 3, Baphomets Fluch 1+2 or AVS - which works for me, now!

But I got you point now - misinterpreted the first post, sorry
Old 11-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawken View Post
So, for those having problems try renaming "libpandadx9.dll" to "libpandadx9.dll2" or whatever.
Turn off the game.
Start the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_G View Post
OmG! It works for me - thank you so much!!!!!
I have the same problem (in XP), and in my case it's probably due to the DirectX 9 requirement. I have an old Nvidia card that doesn't fully support DirectX 9. With this solution I manage to start and play a portion of the demo, but it crashes again later on.

Regarding Intel graphics, there are limitations that may cause problems with games:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-011910.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevito View Post
As you see, Intel GMA X3000 or more should work.
More info on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA
Old 11-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Turn off the game.
Start the game.

Drawken...thanks so much for this...it worked!!!

Usually when I get a crash, I don't find a resolution, when I do find one, it is a process. This was easy, and worked beautifully. I did everything you said, and the game runs flawlessly(so far!) Who would of thought something so simple could do the trick. I initially thought, right...that's not going to work...too easy, but it did. So thanks for the solution!!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Does anyone have problems with specific 3D objects sometimes choosing to float in the air? Also, from time to time some of the animations of the characters don't play out, but at the next attempt, they do normally. Yet the most crazy thing that I experienced was Mona walking on the picture of the newt - and it happened each time I looked at it.
I've had some of those problems, the newt thing too. One time after transforming back after flying, Instead of Froderick appearing on Mona's shoulder he got stuck right in front of her chest. Another annoying thing is that even though you can skip dialogue, if there are character animations that go along with that dialogue you have to sit through them anyway, which sort of negates the point of skipping dialogue...I wish the official forums were up so we could report these little glitches.

Actually the game stopped working for me for the first time a few minutes ago (unfortunately I hadn't saved in a while). I was pouring liquids into beakers and I guess I clicked the "look" option too soon after the pouring animation (I think I was distracted by the fact that the soda cans Mona held in her hands when her arms were at her sides stayed in the same spot when she raised her arms in surprise. After using a few cans in a row she had a stack of them stuck in her hip). The game cursor disappeared, no keyboard controls worked so I couldn't exit the game. The game itself was still running fine I just couldn't do anything. Finally had to exit from Task Manager. ANNOYING.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #32
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starla9 View Post
Another annoying thing is that even though you can skip dialogue, if there are character animations that go along with that dialogue you have to sit through them anyway, which sort of negates the point of skipping dialogue...I wish the official forums were up so we could report these little glitches.

Actually the game stopped working for me for the first time a few minutes ago (unfortunately I hadn't saved in a while). I was pouring liquids into beakers and I guess I clicked the "look" option too soon after the pouring animation (I think I was distracted by the fact that the soda cans Mona held in her hands when her arms were at her sides stayed in the same spot when she raised her arms in surprise. After using a few cans in a row she had a stack of them stuck in her hip). The game cursor disappeared, no keyboard controls worked so I couldn't exit the game. The game itself was still running fine I just couldn't do anything. Finally had to exit from Task Manager. ANNOYING.
I've had all of those experiences as well.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #33

It happened again. If I try to look at a beaker after successfully pouring soda into it, the game controls stop working. Different beaker, different color this time. I'm going to save right before this puzzle and hope I can complete it without "looking" at anything...
Old 11-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #34
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starla9 View Post
It happened again. If I try to look at a beaker after successfully pouring soda into it, the game controls stop working. Different beaker, different color this time. I'm going to save right before this puzzle and hope I can complete it without "looking" at anything...
Those beakers caused me quite a lot of frustration as well. Just don't look at them, otherwise the area seemed safe.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Turn off the game.
Start the game.
This worked perfectly for me! Registered just to report this and send my thanks!

Further data, in case it helps anyone:
I'm using Vista Home Premium on a laptop with the Intel on-board GMA950 (945GM) graphics adapter with a Core2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz, ie no hardware support for T&L nor vertex shaders etc.
The demo seemed to work fine for me (anti-aliasing setting was at 4, and I never changed it), but later I have understood that I was missing out on the cutscenes.
The game itself just switched resolution and then immediately crashed to desktop with a "main.exe has stopped" error as soon as I tried to start it. No other reported tricks helped (run as admin, XPSP2 compatibility mode, fiddling with DX install, and more) at all.

So let no-one tell you that this game won't run fine with a simple on-board mobile graphics adapter, just follow Drawken's workaround!

edit: A friend of mine with the same AVS problems with an on-board Intel mobile graphics adapter also reports success following Drawken's instructions! Free beer for Drawken!

Last edited by 2012; 11-23-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: further corroborating evidence for Drawken's post
Old 11-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #36

Drawken you are a genius!!! It worked! I'd love to buy u a beer =))
Old 11-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #37
Dread Pirate

I have a question about the video card requirements. The game says its minimum requirement is "256 MB video card GeForce FX-generation or ATI Radeon 9500 DirectX 9.0 compatible."

My friend has a "ATI Radeon 3450 256 MB video card supporting HDMI."

I assume this would work, but I (and she) don't know the difference between the Radeon 9500 and Radeon 3450. Are they roughly equivolent?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #38

Thanks Drawken!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:58 AM   #39

Quote:
A 3000+ poly mesh running around on top of a 2d background and illuminated by a couple of pixel lights is hardly straining, even for something like the gma950. The gma950 actually isn't as weak as people like to think, Jade Empire runs fine on mine when I force software T&L through 3D-Analyze, well ok 15-30 fps but still.. it's way more demanding than A Vampyre Story for sure. But developers usually don't bother to support these chips even though quite a few people still have them. Too bad, in this case I think they're missing out on a fair chunk of sales because of it.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by earx View Post
Too bad, in this case I think they're missing out on a fair chunk of sales because of it.
Well, they'll get the sales if people read about the workaround in this thread, which works a treat. Hopefully AME will sort out a patch that sets the AA to 0 by default, or have it do that when it launches in retail stores (unlikely though, I'd guess).