You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Tex Murphy: Overseer click screen of death

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #1

Default Tex Murphy: Overseer click screen of death

I have looked all across the internet for answers and have found none.

The most typical problem people have are with getting the DVD version working. I can do this with no problems. I've downloaded the patch (v1.4), I have downloaded DVD express, I have tweaked the ini file to have lockvideo=1, have set the executable as run an Windows 95, and I have adjusted the RSX3D buffer to 240 and 400ms. I have also tried the CD version to no avail.

My problem is after the first dialog tree with Chelsea when I'm in Tex's office. When I click on anything, and either click on look, use, or even click anywhere on the screen, the game crashes. This game used to work a blue moon ago, but since then I have all new hardware and not a clue what could be causing this problem.

Can anyone help me?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

It's been a while since I've played the DVD version of Overseer but remember running into a similar problem. Fortunately, my problem was easily fixed by turning off my Anti Aliasing.

Your problem does not sound like a graphic problem but you might want to try different (grpahics) settings. Maybe you'll get some results?
Old 03-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #3

I've tried messing around in the NVIDIA settings and turned off antialiasing to no avail.

I think it is important to note that I cannot run the game without first changing lockvideo=-1 to lockvideo=1 in the tex.ini file or else the game will crash in XP. All I've heard on the internet is that the game should load fine without changing that setting, but that it should only be changed if there are graphical problems in game. I cannot even load the game at all without it set to one.

I don't know what that means, but I was hoping someone might.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #4

Does anyone have any idea what part of the system could be failing with this problem?

I can right click and move around Tex's office. I can left click on the three menus on the left, right, and top of the screen and manipulate them fine. When I left click on a context item, I can right click anywhere on the screen or even hit ESC to exit out of the context menu. But as soon as I click the left mouse button again, and it doesn't matter where, it could be anywhere on the screen, the pointer of the mouse usually shifts slightly and the game crashes.

All movies and previous dialog options with Chelsea on the phone work flawlessly. I can even hear Tex's opening clip about him going to tell Chelsea about his office.

I've tried the different MIDI settings, including mute.
I've tried the CD version with the exact same results.
I've tried messing with my video card settings.
I've tried all compatibility modes and disabled hyperthreading for the application.

Again, lockvideo HAS to be set to 1 or else the game will not run.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:01 AM   #5
Caffein Queen

I'm guessing you have already looked at Nilos Download page?
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~hbech/MAIN%20PAGE.swf

The files you download from there have already been pacthes etc. to work on both XP and Vista.

And of course you have all the latest drivers for graphic, sound and mouse.
The last I can think of is maybe to manually lower the screen resolution.
Also.. maybe the ingame audio and graphic settings... fool around with it as soon as the game opens.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #6

Misslilo, I tried all those options but to no effect.

I have a hunch that the problem is the mouse cursor and the cause is likely my video card driver. I have a Geforce 8800GT card with the latest drivers.

Here's how I got to this conclusion:

I installed Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 with Windows 98 OSR2 on my PC. Overseer loads fine in 98 without any changes to lockvideo=-1 in the tex.ini, but what happens is I get a blank screen and the mouse cursor is the only video that is current while the rest of the screen constantly freezes up. I can literally paint the newest video on the screen with my mouse cursor. So even in Windows 98, Overseer doesn't work properly on my PC.

Hmmm...where have I seen this problem before... I've seen other older Windows games that have a similar issue: they're fullscreen, and the screen goes black and I can only paint the latest video with my cursor. One game is SpyCraft. It worked fine in November with the exact same hardware....but now...it does not. Similar problem to Overseer in 98.

And Fallout...it did work on this setup a while ago. I go to play it and....yep you guessed it, same black screen cursor artifacting problem. After some digging, I found out I could run a program called D3DWindower to run Fallout in a window. It works. Oh my god it works.

I tried this program with Spycraft and Overseer in XP but no go. Overseer in 98 will run, and the mouse cursor problem will disappear, but Overseer hates running in a window. Part of the screen is inaccessible and there is a dual cursor blinking problem in the 3D interface. The only way I can click on any object is by guessing.

Back in the day, all of these programs worked in XP for me. All I know now is there is something installed on my PC that is causing this problem that wasn't there before and I have no idea what it could be.

Last edited by SkoubyDoo; 03-17-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #7

The plot thickens...

I have discovered why my PC was giving me problems with Fallout and Spycraft. I had installed a small program called ToolTipFixer:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/TTF/ToolTipFixer+Home

After I uninstalled this tool, Fallout and Spycraft started working properly (for the most part). This program was directly affecting the full screen video of these two apps. Curiously, Fallout worked fine even with this tool installed while in window mode.

So now I'm wondering what about this app is causing these problems to occur? My brother is having the same problems with these two games on his PC, but I know he doesn't have this tool installed. He has something else on his PC that is affecting the games similarly and I'm going to try to find out what that is.

Of course, I have had no progress in Overseer. I still have the same problem in 98, and XP still just crashes. Seems like a dead end there...
Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
Caffein Queen

Well, I installed Overseer in Vista using the files from the link I provided and it worked ok for me
I try to avoid Virtual PC as long as I can

What about Antivirus etc... have you tried disabling all startup programs?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #9

Not only do i have the same problem, but i also have the same vid card.. seems to me that its related..

I will try to solve my problem and i'll check here from time to time to see if you have any progress..
Old 07-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #10

Same video card and issue - found anything since then?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
Caffein Queen

How about maybe trying another mouse?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslilo View Post
How about maybe trying another mouse?
I am supposed to laugh, right?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Caffein Queen

Umm sure - be my guest, lol

But, I've heard that some mouse(mice??) could actually cause trouble in this game. It's worth a try

What is it Sherlock Holmes always say..? Remember? lol

Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #14

I have a hard time believing that to be true, but I guess it can't hurt
Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #15

I'm having the same problem. As soon as i install the patch the game crashes, both in XP and Vista.

Without the patch i have no video in the cutscenes.

Will try that website and give my feedback later

Okay, the file i donwloaded from Nilos Place worked almost perfectly. It's bad that i don't get to hear the wonderfull music from the game, but that's okay at least i get to play it lol

My only problem now is that the cutscene movies have some strange...cliping :O

Anyway, feels good to be finally playing this game! Bought it about 2 years ago lol...! I'm a big fan of Tex Murphy since Under a Killing Moon

Last edited by Chackan; 07-17-2008 at 04:53 PM.