You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Russian Journalist - Anna Politkovskaya

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Russian Journalist - Anna Politkovskaya

Honestly, I had never heard of this woman before I heard the news of her murder on October 7, 2006.

I've only been able to read a little about her:

A page of BBC stories

but from what I've read, I'm in awe. In this age of bloggers and big name journalists who often also have celebrity status and who get heard very easily, they don't often (there are exceptions) put their life on the line for the stories they report. I admire the courage this woman had to report on the war in Chechnya even when it had ceased to become a hot news item and who had good reason to fear for her life.

It also emphasizes, that despite our close ties with Russia and the end of communism, there is still much corruption and secrecy.

Here are some of her stories, but they're in Russian.

http://www.hro.org/war/anna/

I haven't searched much to find some pieces of hers in English. I don't want to get too political, just to bring to the forefront a person who deserves some recognition.

R.I.P.

Edit: Guardian profile

Children of Chechen "Spetzoperations"

Russia's Secret Heroes

Last edited by Melanie68; 10-09-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
is not wierd

Is there a thread dedicated to in memoriams (that is, people who've recently died)? If not, then I think we should retitle this one if that's possible and make this the official remembrance thread, or else make one. We ought to have one, I think.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
Creepy Father Figure

Read about that off of Drudge Report. You know about Russia, the more things change the more the government shoots people to make it the same again.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Democracy Now did a segment on Anna and journalism in Russia, she's the latest in a string of journalists that have been assassinated in recent years.

podcast
transcript

Quote:
Originally Posted by democracynow.org
AMY GOODMAN: Richard Behar, you have established this project that deals with another journalist who was killed.

RICHARD BEHAR: Yes. Project Klebnikov, which was launched last year on the one-year anniversary of the murder of Paul Klebnikov, the editor of Forbes Russia. And we are also looking into the other murders that have taken place. And I’m sorry to have to be here in light of Anna's murder two days ago. I met and spoke with Anna over the past year, and she was actually assisting us in putting together a Russian force of journalists that could work with us in some of these cases. And there are very few left who I think are actually suitable candidates at this point. No one’s doing this kind of investigative reporting. Very few are.

AMY GOODMAN: Do we know who killed her?

RICHARD BEHAR: No. And this unfortunately reminds me of how I felt two years ago, when my friend Paul was killed, because the list of candidates is endless. In her book, in Anna's book about Putin, she attacked him pretty harshly. In her books about Chechnya and her work, she has gone after all kinds of Chechen leaders. It's been very well known throughout Russia that her campaign against Kadyrov, who is the prime minister, has been very, very intense. So, some suspect that here his forces could be involved. His camp is saying that this has so hurt him, since he would be considered a suspect, that she could have been killed by people trying to discredit him.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:51 AM   #5
Schoolgirl From Hell

No surprise. Even while I was there I feel that murder on the streets is advocated.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 11-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #6

'In September 2001 she wrote about alleged summary executions and torture committed by a unit of Interior Ministry troopers from Khanty_mansiisk, serving in Grozny in January 2001. The report conatined etailed accusations of torture by Sergei Lapin, an officer who alleged shaved his nickname 'Cadet' on the back of the head of Zelimkhan Mourdalov....'
(Evangelista M, The War In Chehcnya: Will Russia Go The Way Of The Soviet Union? p.162-3)

When Politkovskaya interviewed Shamanov, Politkovskaya asked the question to Shamanov as to whether a child of a bandit is also a bandit. During this interview, the idea of snipers was mentioned. In the Khanty-Mansy Ob, there was an Enets shaman who could tell time to the minute without the aid of a watch, one reason due to the Indigene's keen eyesight. Resonating with 'Cadet' is Juba, sniper of Baghdad, a Dragunov rifle, and the recent man-hunt in Siberia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juba_(sniper)

Siberian Police "Obstructing Politkovskaya Inquiry'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/art...rc=rss&feed=12
'The incident went virtually unnoticed until nine months later when Politkovskaya publicised it in an article called "Disappearing People.'

One of my names is called
Little Black-cat-shaped Mistress
Little White-cat-shaped Mistress
my name is known

The Little Mistress of the Sable-bitch-Hiss
The Little Mistress of the Sable-dog-Hiss
my name is known
(Khanty Bear Feast)