Thread: The Abbey
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #58
xxax

I just finished the game (english version) and i must say i'm not impressed.

The story, except for the ending is almost identical to Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose. But whilst Eco's novel is a masterpeace this is not.

The story is basically OK but it's so closely resembles Name of the Rose I thought even the ending was gonna be the same (thankfully it's not). The story pacing i think is bad, since the main protagonist (the one controled by you) is always one step infront of the player. You run around looking for something, you don't know why it's important, but the monk you're controling does. And he takes his sweet time explaining it... So basically at the end you're bombarded with a recap of the whole story and his explination. So at least the story ends. But while Eco's novel slowly reveals facts and gradually let's the reader know what's going on, here it keeps you in the dark and then explaines everything at the end. Not to mention most of the twists are already in Eco's novel so won't come with much of a suprise (except the ending). And even that seems rushed.

Graphics are great, music is great but the voice acting is really inconsistent. Some have great voices while others are just awful and REALLY REALLY annoying.

The game itself as an adventure game is really nothing special. Locations are really boring, and there's only a handfull (since it does take place in an abbey) and the whole 40 hours of play time is a total lie. The game is one of the shorter adventure games i've played. The puzzles are mostly really easy, nothing new here. The biggest puzzle is what to do next since you're not given much to go on.

I'm dissapointed. They took Eco's novel, stripped out the best bits (no library navigation puzzle, HELLO!?) and made a mediocre adventure game. Also i'd like to mention Bruno (you're young assistant). THE most ANNOYING character in adventure games to date. My god, while in the novel he's the young naive but smart kid, here he's the dumbest, most annoying creature that walks the planet. Having an annoying voice doesn't help matters. Ruined half the game for me.

Maybe i'm being to critical, since i was expecting more. But appart from the graphics and music there's not much i liked. Althou if you haven't read Name of the Rose the story might be better. I suggest you rather read the book or watch the movie, more fun.

EDIT: first post here and so negative...