• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Henk61

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games without puzzles

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 28 March 2015 10:28 PM
Antrax - 28 March 2015 01:51 PM
Iznogood - 28 March 2015 12:28 PM

Anyway I personally don’t consider adventure games without puzzles to be adventure games at all, so for me this whole thread is an oxymoron.

I was waiting for someone to drop that flamebait. Took longer than I expected, TBH.

I actually had something similar typed in when the thread was fresh, but decided not to post it Tongue Now my opinion is represented, and I’m in the clear, heh Tongue

He he, I have actually been biting my tongue for a long time resisting the urge to post that, and hadn’t it been for the little misunderstanding between Karlok and Gabe, then I would probably have continued to do so.

rtrooney - 28 March 2015 11:20 PM

I think adventures without puzzles means accessible for everyone,i dont see self-contradiction here but if you think casual gameplay makes them non adventures that may sound oxymoron.

I’m only guessing, but I think Iznogood thinks that the title of the thread, Adventure games without puzzles, is the oxymoron.

Correct, it was the title of the thread more than the actual content, that was simply begging for someone to comment.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Gabe - 28 March 2015 01:21 PM
Iznogood -

date=“1427560127]
experiences or as the opposite of hardcore.Anyway I personally don’t consider adventure games without puzzles to be adventure games at all, so for me this whole thread is an oxymoron.

I think adventures without puzzles means accessible for everyone,i dont see self-contradiction here but if you think casual gameplay makes them non adventures that may sound oxymoron.

I’m only guessing, but I think Iznogood thinks that the title of the thread, Adventure games without puzzles, is the oxymoron.

If you go down to the bottom of this page and click on About, you will read the following in the first paragraph:

Adventure Gamers is the largest English-language website devoted to coverage of the adventure game genre. We cover computer and video games that focus on puzzle solving within a narrative framework.

I’m with Iz on this one. A game without puzzles may be some sort of game, but it isn’t an adventure game.

Yet this website has reviewed games like The Walking Dead, and Heavy Rain, and even gave Heavy Rain a high ranking in the top 100 Adventure games of all time.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

A majority of Japanese adventure games have no puzzles at all, which is part of why Americans like to call them Visual Novels (although that term means something else in Japan)

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I’m with Iz on this one. A game without puzzles may be some sort of game, but it isn’t an adventure game.

I think agwp stands as subgenre in rapidly growing numbers,how do you call these may be subjective and exact position of these games always debatable but within genre not out of it.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Gabe, I don’t see any beginnings of a list - is that because so far the suggestions don’t fit your criteria? or is it a private one you don’t want to share! Naughty

It truly would be helpful if you suggested a couple of games as an example as to what you have in mind to be in your list.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

SoccerDude28 - 29 March 2015 04:16 AM

Yet this website has reviewed games like The Walking Dead, and Heavy Rain, and even gave Heavy Rain a high ranking in the top 100 Adventure games of all time.

Very true. But then you also know that there was serious, and often contentious discussion regarding Heavy Rain. And it wasn’t limited to the game itself, but also whether it should be ranked at all in the Top 100, (as opposed to where it was ranked).

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I was playing Cinemaware’s The King of Chicago on my iPad a while ago. It’s a Telltale game from the ‘80s. No puzzles in sight. There’s some simulation aspects but adventure fans would enjoy this title more than people who hate the genre.

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

chrissie - 29 March 2015 04:02 PM

Gabe, I don’t see any beginnings of a list - is that because so far the suggestions don’t fit your criteria? or is it a private one you don’t want to share! Naughty

It truly would be helpful if you suggested a couple of games as an example as to what you have in mind to be in your list.

List started already, we’re forming list together,every agamer contributes with own picks.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Where is it?

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

The ones that mentioned in replies,you can put them in an alphabetical order if you like to see that way.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Gabe, I don’t want to work - so just post your list!

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Full list will reveal in time you gotta be patient.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Puzzle Definition

n. noun

1. Something, such as a game, toy, or problem, that requires ingenuity and often persistence in solving or assembling.

2. Something that baffles or confuses; an enigma.

If it does not have puzzles it would be a Visual Novel or Interactive Movie, etc.

Xblaze: Code Embryo and Tender Loving Care are good examples.

Many adventure games feature non-traditional puzzles, but are still adventure games because they contain elements that meet the broad definition of a puzzle.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If this was Facebook, this would get a Thumbs Up Like

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

And I give you many thanks for that like!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top