• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Quarterfinal 3 - The Big AG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2013-08-17

PM

Grim Fandango

Broken Sword was the first adventure game I had played since Zork on a Commodore 64, so it has a special place in my affections. However, for me Grim Fandango is on another level and hence it gets my vote.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Grim Fandango

I love Broken Sword, and I remember it fondly when I first played it back in the 90’s, but Grim Fandango is at a completely different level.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think it’s gonna end up to GF afterall, but even if we all knew the results from the very start there are some positive points to this tornement which bogi took upon his shoulders and did a great job with, one of those things is the 34 titles we have over the 100 which I think had covered a lot of great titles must have had their places at the list
since before this tornement,

also (and this is a very private pro) knowing that Sierra AGs will never exceed the circle of love of those who witnessed its time, since (on the contrary of Lucasarts) about 80% of its games belong to the old early era of adventure gaming and not really appropriate or to appeal for gamers who got into the genre after the end of the 80’s with all the turn offs that Sierra had while writing the beginning of the adventuring history , add to this it/Sierra being very stubborn to go with Lucasarts appealing style (that lives until today as any new modern ag) until it was to late.

.also I ve got to realize that there are many other here who admire blade runner just like me or even more

the fall of riven I consider a positive thing so gamers and above that developers to know that the most suffocticed (in a good way) ag would not weight much When considered a one time of a life experience , just like me not replaying it even after all those years which makes wonder if it’s that great why I never gotten into wanting to experience it again, what I mean is that the 10 millions and the super originality and the great polishing of the game can make one of the best AGs with just the ‘academic’ standards but still couldn’t push it to be manys fav ag, hope I made sense with this point regarding its very low English terms I used that makes it hard to be followed
the dissapreance of TTG AGs from the finals is a very positive thing to make me happy , TWD; winner of the best game not only adventures doesn’t make it anything unique when the pit fightings take place, as this no place for wussy AGs , only for those which were made to live as long as it take.

p.s: I hate type using this ipad or tablets in general .
Confused

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

Very difficult, but I´ll vote for Broken Sword.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Advie, my man, from the first to the last letter in that post Wink

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Grim Fandango

Let me just echo what I said in the last round:

A game that managed to mix comedy with a serious and both thrilling and touching story, and have it all take place in a unique and exiting setting…

There are only few games that can compete with that, and Broken Sword is not one of them.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

And I must add there aren’t much love for pure comedies here and they are the most difficult genre to make by far, regardless of medium - books, movies, games…

Only exception is DotT, but it advanced so far because it had extremely easy draw, starting from the easiest group by far and still it has unprecedented structure and puzzle design to help it hold the torch of only “light” left in this dark-noir tournament.

Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Bogi - 27 January 2015 03:34 PM

And I must add there aren’t much love for pure comedies here and they are the most difficult genre to make by far, regardless of medium - books, movies, games…

Only exception is DotT, but it advanced so far because it had extremely easy draw, starting from the easiest group by far and still it has unprecedented structure and puzzle design to help it hold the torch of only “light” left in this dark-noir tournament.

Smile

Monkey Island?

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Out Frown

Both Cry

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

And I must add, that even more difficult than pure comedy, is mixing comedy with a dramatic story.

There are plenty of funny games, but there are only very very few games that has managed this mix, and has succeeded in both being funny while at the same time telling a grand dramatic story. Most who has tried either fail at being funny, or end up being just funny and little else.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Bogi - 27 January 2015 03:48 PM

Out Frown

Both Cry

You’re right! I didn’t notice MI1 is also behind… Noooooo

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

@Iznogood

I beg to differ here.

I know hundreds of examples, but none works for me. I cannot count sporadic comic reliefs that exist in almost every “serious” work, Grim Fandango for example here or Tex to lesser extent. I’m talking about Broken Sword mixing where it’s much closer to 50-50% of both, but I think we can agree that it’s the weakest part of that game.

It’s like mixing sugar and salt it simply doesn’t work if you want to cater to both or at least I haven’t met some bright examples.

@Wilco

It’s behind and will only fall lower, I learned the voting structure by now Smile

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Bogi - 27 January 2015 04:00 PM

I know hundreds of examples, but none works for me.

And that is my point, many have tried but only very few have succeeded.

I cannot count sporadic comic reliefs that exist in almost every “serious” work,

Agree, and that is also not what I’m talking about.

I’m talking about Broken Sword mixing where it’s much closer to 50-50% of both

I disagree, the mix in BS is as far as I’m concerned something like 80/20% in favour of comedy. Yes it has a investigating part and a save the world part, but that is not what I would call a grand dramatic story, more like standard action plot which has nothing to do with drama.

It’s like mixing sugar and salt it simply doesn’t work if you want to cater to both or at least I haven’t met some bright examples.

Yes it is, which is also why so few games succeed in it, but there are some that does. Grim Fandango does it, Tex does it to a lesser degree, Discworld Noir did it, though with the arrow pointing more towards comedy and The Longest Journey did it, though with the arrow pointing more towards drama.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 27 January 2015 03:51 PM

There are plenty of funny games, but there are only very very few games that has managed this mix, and has succeeded in both being funny while at the same time telling a grand dramatic story. Most who has tried either fail at being funny, or end up being just funny and little else.

Which is why it’s a shame that Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon didn’t get a lot of love here. While that’s almost entirely funny, there is one serious scene in it, and it’s one of the most heartwrenching I’ve ever seen in a game.
The power of quality writing and a quality voice actor to deliver the lines…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Iznogood - 27 January 2015 04:20 PM

Yes it is, which is also why so few games succeed in it, but there are some that does. Grim Fandango does it, Tex does it to a lesser degree, Discworld Noir did it, though with the arrow pointing more towards comedy and The Longest Journey did it, though with the arrow pointing more towards drama.

I would say Discworld Noir much more comedy, more than Broken Sword and The Longest Journey only has almost incidental comedic reliefs.

We can say Grim Fandango tried it, it has great atmosphere, but the story is actually just “meh”, way too much cliché and predictable from the very beginning and I can’t remember I ever laughed while playing, occasional smile, but not enough for certain.

I think that in fact we are on the every close positions, just is that you think it’s extremely hard to achieve balance and I that it’s impossible Smile

And as Tim said, Callahan’s is a perfect example how pure comedy is underrated, another heartbreaking failure.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top