• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cage Match#5 (Summon the Dead)

Poll: Future Games vs Deck13
Total Votes: 17
Future Games
Deck13

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Future Games Wins!

Score for the record:-
Future Games :09
Deck13 :08

————————————————-

Future Games vs Deck13

Two dead developers which had their impress(ion) over the genre, I certainly miss them both, as they had in their short time and limited number of ags filled in a gap at the adventure gaming scene, and left a bigger one by their disappearance!

Future Games, which started as Unknown-identity created the best Czech adventure video game ever; The Black Mirror, that was followed by another four (excluding Limbo)ags with their ups and downs until fallen down the abyss, with the latest/last Alter Ego for its great unsuccessful financial results.
The studio was known for its serious and dark themes, (except Tale of a Hero which was kinda light) great artwork and of the best given animations (especially for characters and facial expressions) at this era, the studio seemed to greatly consider upgrading its values from one adventure to the other.

The Black Mirror (2003)
NIBIRU (2005)
Next Life (2007)
Tale of a Hero (2009)
Alter Ego (2010)

————————————————-

While Deck13 is alive developing RPGs, but for adventure gamers its clinically dead!. The studio was too into farce and comedy themes, and seemed very influenced by Lucasarts style, in every way from artwork, to heroes design/style, the studio had given 6 ags with the same values of graphics, animation and gameplaying style, until the 7th (Jack Keane 2) which was quite different; much upgraded with the production values but much more retreated with the adventuring’ elements.

Ankh (2005)
Ankh: Heart of Osiris (2007)
Jack Keane (2007)
Ankh: Battle of the Gods (2009)
Black Sails (2010)
Haunted (2012)
Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within (2013)

So the question is; which of those two developers will you pledge for its resurrection with your last and only (hypothetically speaking) 10 dollars bill?!

P.S: I couldn’t resist my self to wait until the BAG tournament is over!

Image Attachments

461188.png

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Different styles, but I went with Deck13 even though The Black Mirror is probably the best game of the both bunch. But now I wonder, why Realmforge never developed another game after Ceville, which I found to be pretty inspired by the Deck13 style.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

At last a Cage Match where I’m familiar with both candidates! For me it’s no contest - as much as I enjoyed the 3 games I played from Deck13 I far prefer the more serious style of Future Games.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

diego - 21 December 2014 06:20 PM

Different styles, but I went with Deck13 even though The Black Mirror is probably the best game of the both bunch. But now I wonder, why Realmforge never developed another game after Ceville, which I found to be pretty inspired by the Deck13 style.

yes different but ‘commonly’ dead !

So Kalypso Media published Jack Keane, and then gave/made Realmforge to develop similar games to it, which was Ceville, the first and last, then it(Realmforge) turned into Action ,Strategy ,Simulation ,and Role-playin, that was before Deck13 does it, same shit, different developer (gives up early), and goes for Action’ ,Strategy’..etc .
Thats why Daedalic is the smartest/greatest/strongest ..etc, of them all; Realmforge, Deck13, Cranberry, and not to forget the Spanish Pendulo’s (and many other all over Europe)  ..
Think with the titles Daedalic announcing for 2015 (after a whole year without a single ag) is just about to explode!, but that is anyways a diffrent story (off topic) here. Grin

——————-

welcome chrissie Wink

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Deck13, no doubt here. Future Games took itself too seriously for its own good.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I’m with diego, I think Black Mirror is the best of the bunch. I really enjoyed Nibiru too. Of Deck13 I liked Jack Keane and Ankh but I didn’t much like JK2 or Haunted so I’m afraid if they’re resurrected they won’t be able to satisfy me. So, Future Games it is.

Bogi - 21 December 2014 07:56 PM

Deck13, no doubt here. Future Games took itself too seriously for its own good.

Heh, it’s odd because Czechs are known for their quirky humor, and Germans aren’t really known for it at all.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Deck 13 for me. Mainly because I’m more familiar with them.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Speaking of this bunch, and to keep this thread busy, this is how I see them, I played them all (only JK2 and ToaH never got to finish and of course BS was only in german and never tried)

1 The Black Mirror
2 Ankh: Heart of Osiris
3 Haunted
4 Jack Keane
5 Next Life
6 Ankh
7 Alter Ego
8 NIBIRU
9 Ankh: Battle of the Gods
10Tale of a Hero
11Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 21 December 2014 06:20 PM

Different styles, but I went with Deck13 even though The Black Mirror is probably the best game of the both bunch.

Me too.
Black Mirror is unquestionably the best of the games from both studios, but it is also the only really good game Future Games made, whereas Deck13 has made several games of consistent high quality (with one single exception).

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I stand to what I said about Black Mirror, but Ankh is very, very underrated.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’m not really sure what to vote here. I’ve played most of their games and I think both studios are pretty mediocre, but I did enjoy the eerie atmosphere of Black Mirror, and I also liked the first Jack Keane to some extent. However, Jack Keane 2 was absolutely horrible and I doubt I’ll ever bring myself to finishing it.

Yeah, now that I think of it, the vote goes to Future Games, because Jack Keane 2 was so utterly terrible Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

That’s really anything but easy. I think I’ll choose Deck 13, because the only really good Game by Future Games has been Black Mirror. I like Ankh a lot and really enjoyed Jack Keane. Black Sails was intriguing, too, while Future Game’s NIBIRU was just terrible.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top