• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The most ridiculous puzzle you’ve ever witnessed

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I personally have no problems with riddles that make you think out of the box and break the fourth wall, like the ones of Deponia and The Sea will Claim Everything ones. I find them really memorable (in good terms), especially if there are tips in these situations.

What I always hate though is unfair riddles. I have mentioned many times in previous threads that the safe in Black Dahlia was the worst one for me. Not because I couldn’t find the right combination, but that I had no idea how to enter the combination. No guidance in the game of course (and any failed attempt made me wonder if the combination numbers were right in the first place). Took me many months to find out.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

s

Oscar - 25 November 2014 06:05 AM
Origami - 25 November 2014 04:17 AM

To me this would actually be a puzzle I’d enjoy. I like when a game plays outside of the realm of conventions and exploits our expectations.

If you’re wondering what the rest of the game is like, this feature article on the Hugo series is rather amusing and may save you several hours of torture.

Honestly….that looks like nothing I’d ever want to play.

Out of the box puzzles having been mentioned, anyone familiar with the Metal Gear Solid games knows it is a staple of that series.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Similar outside the box puzzle was in the Metal Gear Solid for Playstation 1. One boss in the game can read your mind and will block every attack you make. The solution is to plug your controller into an another port and that will prevent Pyscho Mantis reading your attacks. I always thought that was clever, but it was also hinted pretty clearly in the game.

With Deponia I just didn’t like how they had done the music puzzle. It’s also the kind of a puzzle the player can skip by accident if the prefer to turn to music down from the start.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

can’t say which is the most.. but there are hundreds of those, I remember (now) Larry 2 where you steel the sewing needle from your ship neighbor was randomly tiring, once every 10s of deaths you can succeed. and that Deponia’s 2 was stupid!, also Deponia 3 has a stupid one that concerning clicking at random/illogic space to throw a paper(something like that) to get it done.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Bonding Root puzzle from Return to Zork.

Oh right, I had to have DIG UP the root with my knife. OBVIOUSLY!

THANKS FOR TELLING ME 2/3RDS OF THE WAY THROUGH THE GAME!

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 25 November 2014 08:20 AM

I have mentioned many times in previous threads that the safe in Black Dahlia was the worst one for me. Not because I couldn’t find the right combination, but that I had no idea how to enter the combination. No guidance in the game of course (and any failed attempt made me wonder if the combination numbers were right in the first place). Took me many months to find out.

And I have mentioned many times that I think Black Dahlia is the most difficult game I’ve every played. With the exception of the Rune puzzle, which was unsolvable given the tools you have at your disposal, I thought all were fair, but just as hard as all get out! (Cleaned up the language a bit on that last phrase.)  Naughty

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2014-06-27

PM

Blue Ice: The one where you have to kill a cat and use it as a string for a cello.

Not only is it a ridiculous puzzle, it’s also the most disgusting thing i’ve ever done in an ag

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

markornikov - 28 November 2014 06:37 PM

Blue Ice: The one where you have to kill a cat and use it as a string for a cello.

And they blamed the cat moustache puzzle for killing the genre. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

markornikov - 28 November 2014 06:37 PM

Good thing I never got far into that crazy game Shifty Eyed

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Okay, I’ve been playing Layton for the first time and mostly it’s quite good (not top 100 good, but that’s for another thread!).

Except for this puzzle:
A single germ sits in a jar, dividing into two every minute. In one hour the jar will be filled with germs. If you started with two germs, how many minutes would it take to fill the jar with germs?

Now logically, you would simply cut the time in half - 60 minutes for one germ means 30 minutes for two germs, right? Not in Layton-universe. The answer is 59. So it’s a trick question where they fail to tell you that the other cell doesn’t divide, it just sits there cutting one minute off the time needed. But even this doesn’t work because if the growth is exponential, as it should be, having an extra cell wouldn’t be enough to cut a minute off the time, as the growth in cell numbers in the 60th minute for the experiment starting with one cell must be huge.

Normally I like this type of trick question but in this case it’s either simply wrong, or a very badly worded question.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

It’s not a trick question, Oscar. The answer is correct if both germs divide. At 59 minutes the single germ will have filled HALF the jar. So if another dividing germ is added, it takes only one minute less.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Speak of the devil

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

LOL! Nice one, Diego. I usually don’t agree with Richard Corbett’s reviews, but this article was spot on.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Karlok - 03 February 2015 05:51 AM

It’s not a trick question, Oscar. The answer is correct if both germs divide. At 59 minutes the single germ will have filled HALF the jar. So if another dividing germ is added, it takes only one minute less.

Or to put it another way: If you start with one gem, after one minute you will have two gems, and then it will take the rest of the hour (i.e. 59 minutes) to fill the jar. So if you start off with two gems, you simply save that first minute.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

diego - 03 February 2015 06:00 AM

Speak of the devil

That misogynistic asshole just reminded me how good Hopkins FBI is, extremely underrated gem!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top