• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thimbleweed Park—Maniac Mansion style game from Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

tomimt - 24 November 2014 12:33 PM

Be it however with the graphics, the base goal has just been reached, unless someone is trolling.  That leaves quite a god time span for the stretch goals.

Seems like the Kickstarter is now funded as it sits at $379k at the moment.

Everything else is now stretch goals.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Lucien21 - 24 November 2014 02:56 PM

Seems like the Kickstarter is now funded as it sits at $279k at the moment.

Everything else is now stretch goals.

it’s $379.7k Wink

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

why on earth wouldn’t he go back to a Monkey Island 1 or 2 style game? Everyone would flip their shit and he’d get a million bucks. Maniac Mansion really isn’t at the heart of the nostalgia people have for LucasArts. Weird move.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

They might end up getting a million bucks regardless, actually.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

RockNFknRoll - 24 November 2014 04:07 PM

why on earth wouldn’t he go back to a Monkey Island 1 or 2 style game? Everyone would flip their shit and he’d get a million bucks.

I think he is waiting for Monkey Island license to do that. Also he probably can’t afford Steve Purcell and Peter Chan even for a million bucks today. And without them it wouldn’t be the same.

Frogacuda - 23 November 2014 04:50 PM

Couldn’t disagree more. I actually think voiceover was the only thing of value those remakes added.

Well, I’m in a minority then. While I like Armato and I agree it is the only way to sell those remakes today (good graphics/animation also wouldn’t hurt), they weren’t even half as funny as the originals.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Doom - 25 November 2014 06:08 AM
RockNFknRoll - 24 November 2014 04:07 PM

why on earth wouldn’t he go back to a Monkey Island 1 or 2 style game? Everyone would flip their shit and he’d get a million bucks.

I think he is waiting for Monkey Island license to do that. Also he probably can’t afford Steve Purcell and Peter Chan even for a million bucks today. And without them it wouldn’t be the same.

I said Monkey Island STYLE. Not an actual Monkey Island game. Just something in that era’s LucasArts style.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

There’s another, signifigantly more practical reason, for going with an MM style. Signifigantly less time consuming animation work, which is probably the most expensive/time consuming part of an adventure games development. When all your character models are built off the same base figure that is going to save you a ton of time and money.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

RockNFknRoll - 25 November 2014 06:33 AM

I said Monkey Island STYLE. Not an actual Monkey Island game. Just something in that era’s LucasArts style.

I got it. I just don’t think he wants a game reminiscent of Monkey Island - he wants MI3 straight ahead. Thimbleweed Park is a quick project to remind about himself, to test his skills and his fans, “to reload”. Quality pixel-art is time/money-consuming. A cheap replica of his own games would look even worse.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

tomimt - 24 November 2014 02:39 AM
orient - 24 November 2014 12:50 AM

It crushes me every time a developer caves in to “fan pressure”, like the whole Mass Effect 3 ending debacle. What kind of TV writer would redo the ending of their TV series because a vocal minority of whiny fans didn’t like it? What type of musician would re-record a song for the same reason? It’s just absurd, but for some reason gamers think they’re entitled to make demands of creative works.

While I do agree with the sentiment, let’s not pretend other mediums of entertainment are any holier about keeping “artistic integrity” in check. TV-scripts, movie scripts and books chnage all the time based on some ones whims. In those cases it’s usually because of the whims of the studio that is bankrolling it. The original script of Interstellar for an example is pretty much a different movie with actual aliens in it.

It’s hard to escape corporate meddling with any type of big budget production, but at the end of the day it’s the studio’s money (or the publisher’s in the case of video games)—the creators have an obligation to those who are writing the paychecks. That’s the reality of big budget entertainment.

What I was referring to is different: outside of delivering a working piece of entertainment, game creators have zero obligation to those who play their games. Consumers who think they’re entitled to some sort of creative input just because they bought a game are delusional. That includes backing a Kickstarter. Unless the creators have explicitly stated that they’re soliciting fan feedback, you have no right to tell them how to make their game. Being a backer is not an investment, it’s a gamble on a creative work. Don’t like the look of it, don’t back it.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

orient - 25 November 2014 08:32 AM

Being a backer is not an investment, it’s a gamble on a creative work. Don’t like the look of it, don’t back it.

I do agree with that. But at the same time I’ve noticed that there’s a lot of backers who do act like they are prodcers of the game (something even I confess of being guilty at times). It’s just human nature really to start voicing your opinion, especially after you’ve paid for the privilege. This happens especially when some backer sees something he/she doesn’t agree with or would like to be included in the game and starts drumming it up. Like when some backers managed to convince the designer of Massive Chalice to include gay couples as one possibility for creating different kinds of lineages.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-08-09

PM

Wow. This thread is really depressing.
I don’t post much here but I’m often lurking around and all this talk of Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken being “lousy games” just blows my mind.

Maniac Mansion is my favorite game of all time.  That’s right.  I love it.  I played it as a kid and go back to it every few years.  It was creepy, funny and captured perfectly the feel of movies like “Return of the Living Dead.”

The verb interface only added to the sense of freedom.  I think MM and Zak hold up perfectly today.

By the way, the NES version of MM, with its incessant music and family friendly cleanup is the worst possible way to play the game.  For those of you whose only exposure to that game was on your NES, then for God’s sake load up the revamped fan version that came a few years ago on your PCs.

I also don’t understand where all this anger and distrust at Ron Gilbert is coming from.  Was it because of “The Cave?”  Give me a break.  That was a solid little game.

Thimbleweed Park is going to be an out of the park homerun for people like me.  This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for and in order for it to work it MUST have this graphical art style.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Just a quick interview round-up in case anyone missed these:

AdventureTreff
Mixnmojo
and of course, AdventureGamers

If there are others, feel free to add them.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Tuco the rat - 25 November 2014 10:31 PM

By the way, the NES version of MM, with its incessant music and family friendly cleanup is the worst possible way to play the game.  For those of you whose only exposure to that game was on your NES, then for God’s sake load up the revamped fan version that came a few years ago on your PCs.

I didn’t know the NES version differed that much, script wise. Though I gotta admit, I’m not surprised. Do you have any examples? Btw I loved MM on NES. The music was awesome? (I played it localized to swedish though).

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

orient - 25 November 2014 08:32 AM

What I was referring to is different: outside of delivering a working piece of entertainment, game creators have zero obligation to those who play their games. Consumers who think they’re entitled to some sort of creative input just because they bought a game are delusional. That includes backing a Kickstarter. Unless the creators have explicitly stated that they’re soliciting fan feedback, you have no right to tell them how to make their game. Being a backer is not an investment, it’s a gamble on a creative work. Don’t like the look of it, don’t back it.

Even (or perhaps especially) creators who have a strong artistic vision can benefit from an outside perspective and audience feedback on what works and what doesn’t. Kubrick used test screenings, most authors have editors and readers of early drafts, games go through playtesting, and so on. (The only reason TV shows typically don’t is that the production schedule generally doesn’t allow it.)

So there’s nothing wrong with fans providing early feedback on which parts of a project’s design they like and don’t like, and it might in fact be helpful for the creators if they can learn about strong audience reactions for or against certain aspects before it’s too late to do anything about them. Of course, it’s then up to the creators to interpret that reaction and decide on what (if anything) to do about it, so they’re not just letting the Internet design their game by committee.

The only problem is if fans start to feel entitled to dictate the design. They have to realize that they’re entitled to their opinion, but not to have it implemented. If they don’t like what the creators decide to do, they don’t have to back it or buy it.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I’m pretty sure Ron Gilbert was entirely aware of the frothing reaction to their graphical choice, and did it precisely BECAUSE it would be controversial.  I mean seriously, that reveal trailer was genius.  Starting out zoomed all the way in onto the blackness of the eyes, and slowly pulling out to reveal the chunky pixels in all their glory.  They WANTED to get people talking, and mission accomplished.  I can’t wait to see what they do with this one.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top