• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Next Big Remake ?

Poll: Which remake would you like to play most?
Total Votes: 39
Blade Runner
Day of the Tentacle
Discworld Noir
Full Throttle
Indy Fate of Atlantis
Last Express
Other*
Outcast
Zork Grand Inquisitor

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 26 October 2014 12:57 PM

Escape from Monkey Island done in the style of Curse of Monkey Island, thanks.

This!^ So very much! Hence my vote for “other”.

Frankly, I don’t really think games like DoTT, Full Throttle or SMNMX Hit the Road needs a remake, but the HD example of Full Throttle posted earlier in the thread looks great! A proper 2D HD upgrade that stays true to the source material. I wouldn’t mind to see the Lucas games remade like that.

I’d also love to see proper 2D HD P&C remakes of:

Gabriel Knight 2&3
Leisure Suit Larry 2&3 (and why not 5&6 while they’re at it?)
Simon The Sorcerer 3D
Grim Fandango (yeah, yeah, I know a remake is on it’s way, but judging by everything we’ve learned about it so far, it’s not gonna live up to the much awesomer version of my imagination Tongue ).
All of Sierra’s “Quest” games
Loom
Zac McCracken
Discworld Noir

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Blackthorne - 27 October 2014 11:07 AM

I would love to see a remake of Sierra’s “Manhunter” games.  They were really ahead of their time, and I think if given a proper budget and good team, a remake of that source material could be amazing.

Bt

YES!,  This ^ BIG TIME

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I would also like to see a remake of Ashes of Empire.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

theo - 27 October 2014 05:17 AM

Interesting sidenote: In the end, this remake business really is a minefield. Look, me and timovieman are already having a discussion about how the “action sequences” of full throttle should or should not be redesigned. Making a remake and pleasing us both (as well as a new crowd) would have been costly and difficult.

Well, the bike-fight sequence did give me a lot of trouble the first two times I played through the game. It only became a cake-walk when I actually figured out the puzzle, so it’s not overly obvious that there even is an alternative to the fighting. There should have been given more hints, imo. Maybe have Ben say “there must be an easier way to beat this guy” after losing a fight (implying that you don’t actually *have* to fight).
And on the other hand, there are probably guys out there that beat a chainsaw-wielding guy with just their bare fists. If there are some who beat Arnold in a legit fight in Fate of Atlantis, then that’s not out of the question… Crazy

And while I absolutely adore Full Throttle (it’s one of the only 6 games to get a full 5/5 from me), I still think that we should have been able to get dismembered during the Vulture interrogation (which could so easily have ended with a “damn, let me try that again” dialogue-restart, similar to the restart of the end sequence with Ripburger’s truck and the plane)...

Not that I’m advocating a Full Throttle remake, though… Innocent Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Blackthorne - 27 October 2014 11:07 AM

I would love to see a remake of Sierra’s “Manhunter” games.  They were really ahead of their time, and I think if given a proper budget and good team, a remake of that source material could be amazing.

Bt

Indeed, Manuhter games would definetly benefit from being re-made, as they are interesting, but pretty flawed games to begin with. You’d have to extent the writing quite a bit, but they could potentially become more coherent dystopic sci-fi adventures.

As a point of interes, Dee Dee Murry who did the graphics for Manhunter games now apparently does paintings of cats, dogs and other animals.

http://www.deedeemurry.com/bio.htm

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

As a big Alice in Wonderland fan, I’d love to see a remake of Wonderland, the 1990 Magnetic Scrolls/Virgin text based AG.

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

If there ever was a game that needed a remake then it has to be Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Missing Floppies!

I mean how many of you have even played the original?
All those great ideas, all those funny flatulence and sex jokes, all those embarrassing rejections that Larry suffered, and then it turned into a game that was literally unplayable.

Surely it can be done better in a remake.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Honestly, all of the games in the list are perfectly fine and what’s more people still play them, which tells us a lot. All they would be doing is tinkering with them, polishing the graphics a little. There are plenty of games which are bordering on unplayable today. Stuff like Neuromancer, Timegate, Future Wars (dead ends), Inca 1 + 2, KGB (time limit), Below the Root, Star Trek 25th anniversary (action sequences), the B.A.T. series.

The shame of it is these will never get remakes because they never got the deserved attention in the first place.

Manhunter is a good shout and Deja Vu, but no text adventures. How can you remake HHGTTG? The brilliance of it was in Douglas Adam’s writing. Just look at the awful films they made out of it.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

I would love to see Blade Runner remake. The original was maybe not that original, but it was very memorable. Plus with the talks of remaking the movie, this would be fitting.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Zifnab - 27 October 2014 05:26 PM

How can you remake HHGTTG? The brilliance of it was in Douglas Adam’s writing. Just look at the awful films they made out of it.

Here’s a graphical remake of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by an AGS enthusiast http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1312/

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Zifnab - 27 October 2014 05:26 PM

Honestly, all of the games in the list are perfectly fine and what’s more people still play them, which tells us a lot. All they would be doing is tinkering with them, polishing the graphics a little. There are plenty of games which are bordering on unplayable today. Stuff like Neuromancer, Timegate, Future Wars (dead ends), Inca 1 + 2, KGB (time limit), Below the Root, Star Trek 25th anniversary (action sequences), the B.A.T. series.

Azrael’s Tear is not what I consider playable either.
It’s not just a matter of low resolution.
Different aspects of the game seem to run at different speeds, even within the same location, so adjusting DOSBox cycles doesn’t fix it. Maybe it was unbearably choppy at the time of release, but I don’t remember it being this bad playing on the ~200MHz computer I used to use. Unfortunately I ran out of playing time, never got back to it, and never finished.

The shame of it is these will never get remakes because they never got the deserved attention in the first place.

I don’t think Azreal’s Tear got much recognition either—probably due to some combination of poor distribution and difficulty playing.
Those few reviews and comments I’ve seen for it are generally positive.
But it doesn’t seem to be well known.

I’m sure some people will think it heresy, but I really wish Azrael’s Tear had been snapshot style instead of 3D. Not only would it have looked a lot better, but it would probably be playable now instead of the too-fast, too-slow jerky mess that it is today.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top