• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Next Big Remake ?

Poll: Which remake would you like to play most?
Total Votes: 39
Blade Runner
Day of the Tentacle
Discworld Noir
Full Throttle
Indy Fate of Atlantis
Last Express
Other*
Outcast
Zork Grand Inquisitor

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

This fan art finest example of how a remake can be redraw while staying loyal to source elements,imagine the results if some recent remakes would’ve been commit with the same approach.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2014-10-24

PM

zane - 26 October 2014 09:23 AM

oh geez, well preferably i hope for more new games and less remakes.

Thumbs Up

EDIT: The upcoming Grim Fandango remake is the exception, ofc.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I chosen other, and that would be any of those LSL2 or SQIII or KQIV

as for BladeRunner I think there could never be a remake up to the original or even close, a sequel would be great since they are already written and the materiel was nice.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I would put precedence on whether the game is playable or not over how it looks. Since nearly all the LucasArts adventures are playable in DOSBox or ScummVM, they would not be my first choices for a remake—even if a game like “The Dig” would certainly benefit from graphics to match its soundtrack.

But games like Discworld Noir—people can’t even finish it because of bugs. IMO the graphics in Discworld Noir hold up very well, but it needs a game engine that is stable on modern computers.

One game no one has mentioned is Azrael’s Tear.
Not only are the graphics really pixellated even in the “high resolution” mode, but it is extremely hard to get it running smoothly enough to be playable in DOSBox. You have to constant adjust the cycles in DOSBox. As one of the comments at DOSBox stated

In the starting room things seemed fluent at about 50.000 to 100.000 cycles in the maximum resolution. However as soon as I got to the next room I needed to up my cycles count to somewhere around 180.000.

I have to wonder about what computer Azrael’s Tear was really made for, and whether it ever worked well on ANY computer. The specs listed on the game box state a minimum 486/66 and recommend a “Pentium” of undisclosed speed (which could have been anywhere between 50MHz and 200MHz in 1996 when the game came out, going by Wikipedia dates). I doubt it actually worked well on any 486/66.

I’m not sure if Azrael’s Tear is normally considered a horror game, but it seemed like one to me. You talk to a ghost who died horribly. You talk to a hanged man who’s been hanging there, not dead but not really alive, for centuries. You talk to a guy who’s been chopped in half by an ornery portcullis and doesn’t realize it… Trying to get the game to work was certainly a horror—crashes, freezes, music cutting out, and constantly having to adjust DOSBox speed. Eventually I gave up wrestling with it, and watched a YouTube playthrough to see how it ended. It’s a very interesting and unusual game, but I doubt many people would have the patience to finish it in its current state.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

millenia - 26 October 2014 06:18 AM

I picked Blade Runner because I love the setting but I still haven’t even played the game because it’s hard to get, hard to get to work and it’s old as age. So I think it would be really nice to get it done again properly.

Me too, for the same reason, but

wilco - 26 October 2014 05:52 AM

I’d be happy if they just released most of those games in the list to be playable on modern systems, no need for graphical or gameplay remakes.

I’d be happy if they just made it available and playable, without actually making a remake.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

DW: Noir isn’t a bad looking game either. It has a solid soundtrack and fairly good voice acting. More than a graphical upgrade it really would need the engine upgrade. But at the same time it could benefit from similar fancy lighting work Double Fine is doing for Grim Fandango.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Escape from Monkey Island done in the style of Curse of Monkey Island, thanks.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

I’m definitely voting for GF. But if I have to stick to the list I too would say Blade Runner. That was an awesome game but damn those voxels have not aged gracefully. Actually the game itself could probably do with some cleanup as well, but as a whole it was a heck of an experience.

I agree that full throttle actually still really holds up and looks great, but obviously a faithful remake like on that screenie there sure would help make it relevant for a new crowd. Those wonky action sequences could certainly use some rethinking though.

Other than that, I’m generally with the “more originals! Less remakes!” crowd.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Cecil Art team is capable , Cecil knows writing, and re-use same team and experience of BS5 for BASS2.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

theo - 26 October 2014 01:07 PM

Those wonky action sequences could certainly use some rethinking though.

You do realize that those bike-fights were insanely easy if you figured out their puzzle, don’t you?
You could easily defeat every biker without goggles by chucking some fertilizer in their face until you got the chainsaw. Then you could use that to insta-win against everyone except the Cavefish, until you got the 2-by-4 you needed to beat the Cavefish. No actual fighting required.
The other action sequences couldn’t be lost at all, so those really were AG puzzles instead of action sequences…

Anyway, I voted “Other” because if I want to see a remake it’s one of a promising but flawed game that could work a lot better with a few of the issues ironed out. LSL2 comes to mind as a prime example.

For the rest, I prefer to just see classic games get made easily available and adapted so they run on modern machines. No other changes necessary.
Why do you think I love GOG so much? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Advie - 26 October 2014 11:12 AM

I chosen other, and that would be any of those LSL2 or SQIII or KQIV

as for BladeRunner I think there could never be a remake up to the original or even close, a sequel would be great since they are already written and the materiel was nice.

This, and I would also add LSL3 to this list.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Gabe - 26 October 2014 05:37 AM
Lucien21 - 26 October 2014 05:18 AM

Gabriel KNight 3 is mor ein need of an update than the first game. The 3D graphics on that have really dated.

This should be an ambitious project for alive looking story narrative;needs an open world Rennes-le-Château region map,when Gabe driving motorcycle Mose driving his car while Gracie on tour bus in real time,looks about 4-5m$ project at least.

Gabe - 26 October 2014 06:08 AM
Doom - 26 October 2014 05:31 AM

I doubt that anyone is capable of doing a proper 3D remake today.

You are right when consider ag developers today but things can change in next 5 years..anyway there is another option: revising GK3 as an action adventure title.

These are terrible ideas.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Frogacuda - 26 October 2014 08:57 AM

I’d like to see a remake of Space Quest III. It might be the best game in the series, but it was right on the cusp of when everything else was going point and click and VGA and all that.

Deja Vu is also an intriguing prospect after the recent Shadowgate treatment.

Some of these games are pretty much perfect as they are. I think stuff that has aged poorly in one way or another is the best candidate for a remake. Even some remakes of the best text adventures (Hitchhiker’s Guide…) could shape up pretty well.

Deja Vu is a brilliant idea. I loved those games. I’d be ok with a really simple update even, with the same interface.

I wish there were more games like that.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

TimovieMan - 26 October 2014 01:57 PM

You do realize that those bike-fights were insanely easy if you figured out their puzzle, don’t you?

Frankly, no. I was just confused.

I’m quite sure I wasn’t the only one who was confused by those sequences. We could argue back and forth whether that was poor design or a fun “outside o the box” puzzle but in the end I’m pretty sure we simply have different opinions in the matter. Which is totally cool. Smile

That was my only gripe with FT anyhow, other than that I think it’s pretty much one of the most brilliant games ever produced. Especially love the art and script. VO was amazing too.

Interesting sidenote: In the end, this remake business really is a minefield. Look, me and timovieman are already having a discussion about how the “action sequences” of full throttle should or should not be redesigned. Making a remake and pleasing us both (as well as a new crowd) would have been costly and difficult.

Yeah I wanna see BASS 2 as well! Bring it on, Cecil! I loved the first BASS too (tho the ending sort of threw me off.) You’d think the BASS name carries with it enough weight to pull off a kickstarter too. Though maybe the KS climate is a bit too harsh for that right now…

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I would love to see a remake of Sierra’s “Manhunter” games.  They were really ahead of their time, and I think if given a proper budget and good team, a remake of that source material could be amazing.

Bt

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top