• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

General Gaming News Thread

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Heh, this springs to mind:

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It seems like you’re better off being part of a smaller team now more then ever. Think it was Jim Sterling who summed it up quite nicely about triple A companies when he said they’re ran by business people not game developers.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lets see how long Bioware. Digital Illusions and Visceral Games will last. First step is talented developers leaving the teams.

Also, a new Rock Band (PS4/XBoxOne) was announced. I wonder if there is still a market for the plastic instruments.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 05 March 2015 04:00 AM

@wilco

Hey you cannot criticize halo and love Destiny in the same statement.
And Halo borrows from other Scifi, well better than something going wrong in the lab,
it always something gone wrong in the lab since RE1.

Well, Destiny and its world lore (not the bad “I don’t even have time explain why I don’t have time to explain” writing Smile ) is kind of reason I want to give the Halo series another chance someday

TimovieMan - 05 March 2015 06:31 AM

Reading this discussion makes me glad I gave up on FPS over a decade ago (Mass Effect trilogy excluded, but that’s an RPG hybrid). Tongue

Not even Bioshock? That one is a must-play!

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

wilco - 05 March 2015 02:35 PM

Lets see how long Bioware. Digital Illusions and Visceral Games will last. First step is talented developers leaving the teams.

Also, a new Rock Band (PS4/XBoxOne) was announced. I wonder if there is still a market for the plastic instruments.

Skylanders seems to be doing well, so probably.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 05 March 2015 02:39 PM

I’ve watched a friend play the first couple of hours of it. Looked really nice, but with levels of ‘scary’ beyond what I can take in a game I’m playing myself…

It’s actually odd that I can’t handle playing stuff like Doom3 or AvP2 or Amnesia, yet I’m perfectly ok just watching… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 05 March 2015 02:39 PM
TimovieMan - 05 March 2015 06:31 AM

Reading this discussion makes me glad I gave up on FPS over a decade ago (Mass Effect trilogy excluded, but that’s an RPG hybrid). Tongue

From narrative standpoint,

Bioshock series
Metro series
Wolfenstein
And Darkness

Are must play from last gen.

Killzone2 for just gameplay, but not for everyone.

Halo not just for lore, AI and alot of Gunplay Destiny carried over from it.
There were plenty of tight scenarios of shootfest, with vehicles in the mix.
However i dont know how well it aged.
Music/Marty is another main reasons i digged Destiny, Halo iconic soundtrack and
Destiny had similar vibes, super pissed he ain’t returning.

wilco - 05 March 2015 02:35 PM

Bioware is hard to vanish, esp when they have another new RPG IP in works.
I imagine EA portfolio would suffer from lack of RPGs.
Hyped as shit for Amy hennig Visceral project.

BTW, they showed Source 2 powered VR demo of Portal, looks good.
I hope they show us some properly cooked stuff soon.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The Halo series is overrated. I have never really liked any of those games (Partially the reason I never bought Destiny).

I appreciate what it did for shooters on a console, but it was still inferior to PC shooters in almost every way. In fact the multiplayer aspect that garnered a lot of its acclaim is basically Unreal Tournament.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 05 March 2015 04:44 PM

It’s actually odd that I can’t handle playing stuff like Doom3 or AvP2 or Amnesia, yet I’m perfectly ok just watching… Tongue

Don’t worry about Doom. I am also really scared to watch and play horror stuff, and Doom 3 is far from scary. Maybe the beginning is scary, but then enemies keep jumping at you out of no where so often that you become immune to it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude28 - 05 March 2015 06:16 PM

Don’t worry about Doom. I am also really scared to watch and play horror stuff, and Doom 3 is far from scary. Maybe the beginning is scary, but then enemies keep jumping at you out of no where so often that you become immune to it.

When I have a health bar in-game, I don’t think I become immune to the jump-scares/instant-attacks. Tongue
Besides, I never made it past the beginning. Only made it as far as the first pinky monster before going “F#!% THIS S§@&!!!” and quitting. Grin

Seriously, apart from hybrids like Mass Effect and Fallout 3, I haven’t enjoyed a FPS since Call of Duty 2.

Edit: actually, I rather enjoyed Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood until I lost interest after they completely opened up the game-world several hours in.

And I’ve always considered Halo and Half-Life to be really ‘meh’. Never bothered with anything after the first Halo, and besides a couple of hours of Half-Life 2 never bothered with that series either.

Edit: basically, I prefer facing human opponents, and not wielding too futuristic weapons… Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I was never a big fan of FPS, but I’ve played a few. Doom 3 is just correct, but not big deal.. imo, I remember sometimes enemies appeared as magically but their movements were quite predictable.

I played the first Halo and did nothing for me, a bit dull overrated for me as well.. Half Life 2 .. a little better than Halo but not much. Actually I liked much more Prey than all those I named above. But I never heard it naming too much, perhaps I am the only one who liked it or maybe it’s because I’ve played so few FPS.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

For me, Halo is the only “pure” FPS I’ve liked playing in a long time (of course, it started going a bit down after Halo 3). Overall, there’s been Halo, Half-Life and… right now I can only remember No One Lives Forever. I haven’t really enjoyed any other FPSs (that I can think of).

Well, there were the original Rainbow Six games, but I don’t think they really count as FPS in this sense, there’s so much more tactics involved.

(Edit): The thing about Halo (storywise) is also that it started out as a kind of… “parody” in a sense. The whole setting of a super-soldier with one-liners was meant to be ironic and to parody usual sci-fi and FPS game tropes. At least that’s how I understood it (and I remember that at least some reviewers thought so too - I guess that’s where I got the idea in the first place). The problem, of course, was, that after it became so successful, they more and more forgot about that premise - and nowadays the character and everything is taken far too seriously.

As for “genericness” - I mean, instantly I can’t really think of really any recent FPS that isn’t rather generic.

(Edit2): In Half-Life vs. Half-Life 2, I prefer the first one. Easy.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Quantum Break delayed to 2016??

I think i should sell my Xbone asap, Scalebound and QB were main reasons to hold it,
and both being 2016 title, with M$ desperately dropping price like anything, i should sell it before i cannot get good price, later will buy cheap QB bundle at 250$ Tongue

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I really can’t see QB being that good at the moment. Seems just like all their games.

I’m glad I held off buying a next gen console. My PC is doing just fine currently Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top