• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

L_machine

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Leisure Suit Larry series

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

Bogi - 05 October 2014 07:07 PM

Well, welcome to the 21st century, a new Dark Age where the inquisition is replaced with different groups rights activists who would bash you for everything that doesn’t follow their ideology:

Animal rights, gay rights, women rights, white male 18-49 rights… and when you make intersection of all their demands you end up like a (ro)bot without its own will or capability to make its own conclusions - ideal subject, extremely easy to be controlled.

Right to the point!

I was trying to find sales numbers for reloaded, anyone has a clue?

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Paul Trowe boasted about some pretty impressive number very shortly after release (quarter million maybe?), but many seem to take that with a grain of salt. That’s about all anyone knows. It seems to have made its money back, but it’s more all the scandal afterward that wrecked the potential for more in the future.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Had LSLR sold the amounts Trowe boasted, we’d already have solid knowledge, or already be playing, LSLR2. I don’t have concrete info about how well adventure games sell these days, but 250k would most likely be among best selling AG of current decade.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I don’t think they’d do LSL2:R without Al even if they did make all that money. It’s too bad. It’s one of those projects everyone hoped would be a stepping stone to something bigger.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I rather enjoyed Reloaded myself. It made me laugh, and adventures nowadays struggle to do that. I thought it a bit of a shame some of the articles/reviews that were written about it in regards to sexism. Not saying it didn’t have it’s problems, but I thought they were a bit overblown. Would have liked to see more Al/Josh Larry stuff, with maybe improved graphics, which while I had no issue with, seemed to put a lot of people offside. Alas, it wasn’t to be.

The other thing I have to praise about Reloaded kick starter is the rewards, which I thought they did a pretty stellar job in getting out in a timely fashion, particularly compared to other projects.

Pity about the guy running the whole thing…

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Several years back Gus Van Sant directed a remake of the movie Psycho. It was 99.9% based on the original script, original staging and camera angles, etc. It was intended to be an “homage” to the original. And it didn’t work. Bombed at the box office. Panned by critics. Makes you ask “Why bother.”

Same thing happened with LSLR.

I commented on another thread that I would like to see remakes of some of my old favorite adventure games. Amon Ra would be an example. But you just can’t update a game to what today’s technology allows. There’s got to be something new. Otherwise it’s LSLR and/or Psycho all over again.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

But at least LSL:R changed several minor things. That Psycho movie was a shot-by-shot carbon copy and despite the talent involved, it deserved to be panned…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

rtrooney - 09 October 2014 07:27 PM

Several years back Gus Van Sant directed a remake of the movie Psycho. It was 99.9% based on the original script, original staging and camera angles, etc. It was intended to be an “homage” to the original. And it didn’t work. Bombed at the box office. Panned by critics. Makes you ask “Why bother.”

Same thing happened with LSLR.

I commented on another thread that I would like to see remakes of some of my old favorite adventure games. Amon Ra would be an example. But you just can’t update a game to what today’s technology allows. There’s got to be something new. Otherwise it’s LSLR and/or Psycho all over again.

I disagree. The script in Reloaded was rewritten and, in conjunction with voice acting to deliver it, was really a lot funnier and stronger than the original. That’s such a major thing in a game like that, that I can’t agree with the Psycho analogy. Sure the foundation was the same, but there was a lot of added entertainment value.

Certainly I would have rather seen them do something new, but as remakes go, I’d say Reloaded was a good one.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Frogacuda - 09 October 2014 09:27 PM

Sure the foundation was the same, but there was a lot of added entertainment value.

Only if you were a backer depicted in the bar scene. I saw nothing other than technology improvements that separated this game from the original. Josh is a good friend. This is not the game he and Al wanted to do. And it was not the game they wanted to deliver. It was the game they were required to make in order to do other things with the Sierra IP. Things did not work out well.

Unless things change dramatically, I think LSL, as a franchise, is dead.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2004-03-25

PM

Bogi - 05 October 2014 07:07 PM

Well, welcome to the 21st century, a new Dark Age where the inquisition is replaced with different groups rights activists who would bash you for everything that doesn’t follow their ideology:

Animal rights, gay rights, women rights, white male 18-49 rights… and when you make intersection of all their demands you end up like a (ro)bot without its own will or capability to make its own conclusions - ideal subject, extremely easy to be controlled.

Yeah, caring about things is dumb and the 1990’s were perfect and we shouldn’t try to better ourselves in any possible way.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 09 October 2014 10:15 PM
Frogacuda - 09 October 2014 09:27 PM

Sure the foundation was the same, but there was a lot of added entertainment value.

Only if you were a backer depicted in the bar scene. I saw nothing other than technology improvements that separated this game from the original. Josh is a good friend. This is not the game he and Al wanted to do. And it was not the game they wanted to deliver. It was the game they were required to make in order to do other things with the Sierra IP. Things did not work out well.

Unless things change dramatically, I think LSL, as a franchise, is dead.

Oh bullshit to that Rtooney. The game pretty much has a brand new script. Sure, the locations are the same, but the rework on it is far more exrensive thant what was done for Psycho. You might not like the game, which is fully okay, but to deny that it has no difference to the original is just plain blindness.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Oh, Bullshit Tomint! The game was exactly done as the first game was done.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

So I guess there’s no optometrist in the world that can help you then.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Josh was very proud of the rewritten script. Sure, everyone would have loved if they had gotten a few million to do a completely new game, but I still think as remakes go they did a good job.

The art was not amazing (but at least better than Monkey Island remake’s) but the script was great and it fixed some (if not all) issues with the design and puzzles. Good voices too.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

It’s a good remake. Was hoping there will be a new sequel sigh…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top