• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Leisure Suit Larry series

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I’ve never played these games, but having seen some YouTube clips, it’s pretty surprising to see it got away with so much. Yeah, it’s suppose to be a laugh, but it was still dancing around and over the line at times I felt.

As to another one, now more then ever it would be a bad idea. The issue of sexism in gaming is a sensitive button right now and another LSL would cause a huge uproar I suspect - and possibly rightfully so.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

tomimt - 04 October 2014 10:17 AM

I think one big issue is that LSLR got pretty badly mauled by the critics and the accusations of sexisim are something companies don’t want to have in this day and age. It really matter little, that the actual intention of LSL has always been a bit raunchy humour instead of sexism. As far that goes it’s not even close to what some movies can pull off. But as that can of worms has been opened, it is pretty hard to fight against and I can’t really blame Al for not wanting to do that and getting back into leisure of being retired.

Yeah, but it’s kind of stupid, the whole “sexism” thing. Come on, it’s 2014, just look at the MTV music videos for example. That’s okay, nobody has a problem with that… But if Larry makes a coitus joke, in a game that is so obviously making fun of relationships, lame pickup lines and itself, everybody looses their mind.

I think reloaded was not that bad, there was just too little content added.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Well, welcome to the 21st century, a new Dark Age where the inquisition is replaced with different groups rights activists who would bash you for everything that doesn’t follow their ideology:

Animal rights, gay rights, women rights, white male 18-49 rights… and when you make intersection of all their demands you end up like a (ro)bot without its own will or capability to make its own conclusions - ideal subject, extremely easy to be controlled.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

love how you put it, Bogi. Respect!

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

You’re talking like critics never railed on Larry before or that their opinion matters.

Here’s the byline from Gamespot’s Leisure Suit Larry 7 review from 1997:  Unless you’re the proud owner of the Three’s Company box set, this game will likely get old quick.

That’s Leisure Suit Larry 7 they’re talking about. The best one.

If Reloaded failed financially, which I doubt, then it’s because Reloaded didn’t go far enough in improving the design or material of the original. They gave it a good crack I felt.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Frogacuda - 04 October 2014 08:28 AM
OrionO - 03 October 2014 05:41 AM

Is there going to be a new Larry game or not? What do we have to do to make it happen?

Unlikely. Al has gone back to retirement, the rights remain with Codemasters, who seem to have no plans, and what’s left of Replay has been doing other things.

How does Replay still figure into things? Why would CodeMasters ever deal with Replay again? That last question is rhetorical. But I am interested to know if Replay has exclusive rights for a time period.

As for Al, he seemed open to the idea in a tweet of his I saw awhile back. At least he didn’t categorically rule it out. He basically said, I think (paraphrasing), that it wasn’t up to him and that he wouldn’t work with Replay. Am I reading him wrong? I got the impression that, in his heart, he wants to do a new Larry game.

Darn it, I’m keeping the faith!

Who here a couple years ago would have predicted a new, official King’s Quest game under the Sierra name to be released in 2015? I know this particular KQ game might not be a very traditional adventure, but it is still an interesting development that few fans would have expected now.

Also, how much money would be required, in your opinion, to make Larry 8 and do it justice (ie, being able to stand proudly on the shelf next to lsl7)?

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

tomimt - 04 October 2014 10:17 AM

I think one big issue is that LSLR got pretty badly mauled by the critics and the accusations of sexisim are something companies don’t want to have in this day and age. It really matter little, that the actual intention of LSL has always been a bit raunchy humour instead of sexism. As far that goes it’s not even close to what some movies can pull off. But as that can of worms has been opened, it is pretty hard to fight against and I can’t really blame Al for not wanting to do that and getting back into leisure of being retired.

I think it just wasn’t a great remake. Many of the individual pieces, while individually impressive sounding, just didn’t all come together in a polished, cohesive way. If it had been a great, compelling remake, the reviews by the politically correct critics would have mattered less.

Regarding the critics, you say, unless I’m mistaken, that LSL is about raunchy humor and that even those critics, if they properly “understood” the series, wouldn’t have problems with it. I think that misses the point. There IS “offensive” content, stereotyping and all-around political incorrectness throughout the series. The characters Gary the lith-ping towel boy, Jennifer Jiggle, Barbara Bimbo and the lesbian who leaves Larry at the start of 3? All examples of things that any self-respecting, politically correct critic would get their hipster skinny jeans in a bunch over. And that’s ok. It’s okay that they’re offensive, that they’re not PC. That’s what I wish Al would say. Just explain that he makes fun of all sorts of things in the games and that people should ease up. But I heard Al in an interview say that his games aren’t sexist because they make fun of Larry and because the women are in control. Sigh. It appeared like he wanted these critics’ approval, rather than realizing that their selective hypersensitivity and desire to eradicate content they don’t like will never be satisfied.

Make a character in the game mocking the critics. Proudly wear a scathing Polygon review as a badge of honor. Sadly, I get the impression that Al wouldn’t be so unapologetic about offending people. Hope I’m wrong, though.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ripping jokes out of stereotypes isn’t sexist, nor racist, not always anywas. If done well kt can be used to show people why those stereotypes aren’t the truth about people. The propblem is though, that some people just are oblivious to such things, especially if its about sex or racial matters.

I don’t think ever has been about offending people, not conciously at least. I think at some level he has always hoped Larry would be seen as something else than just a sex starved looser, who is trying and failing to score all the time. He’s said it in a couple of interviews that Larry is always looking for the true love, at least in first four games.

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

I agree with you about offensiveness never seeming to be the main point of LSL. But there were plenty of “offensive” elements, nonetheless.

I don’t think arguing that a certain joke is or isn’t racist/sexist is a good way to defend against those who want to get rid of content that doesn’t fit in with their own ideology or sensibility.

I think he should say, “it’s a joke.” People’s feelings are hurt over it? So what. It’s not like the joke or game is going around beating up people. It’s to make people laugh.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

OrionO - 08 October 2014 01:27 AM

Also, how much money would be required, in your opinion, to make Larry 8 and do it justice (ie, being able to stand proudly on the shelf next to lsl7)?

All the money. If there were a serious attempt to revive Larry for modern gamers I think it would need to be pretty smart. Meaning, a good story that everyone here would want to play through.

For a while I thought it would be funny if a Larry reboot made fun of what actually happened to Sierra in the late-90s. After all, the first Larry is about a nerdy computer salesman who BECOMES Leisure Suit Larry after being abandoned by everyone in his life. You could follow him as a stereotypical computer nerd who is unceremoniously laid off at 40 and needs to reinvent himself.

Larry needs his Goldeneye, not another Police Academy. The critics love deconstruction.

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

How about another National Lampoon’s Vacation then? A good one like the cross-country vacation installment.

You think more than 1 million is needed?

I don’t want Al to make a game for the critics. I am convinced that many of those people are deeply disturbed. Present site excluded, of course. It seems like “professional” game journalism/criticism in general attracts some of the most intolerant, sour, narrow-minded, wannabe intellectual nasties on a power trip. Not all are, but many are horrendous and I have no idea why they should have so much influence.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

If I recall right the budget for LSL7 was around 3 million dollars back in 1997. That would be around 4.7 million today, but I don’t think that would be enough to produce a traditionally animated adventure game in similar quality in todays standards. I’d guess a budget of around 6-8 million at least.

I think Broken Age could be somewhat usefull measurement point, as while it does use “paper dolls” instead of cellanimation style, it still went way, way over budget, which was propably at lesst in part caused by miscalculation of how much time it takes to properly animate stuff in such a high fidelity, especially when you can’t fully take an advantage of 3D models.

Now, if you’d be willing to sacrifice a bit on the style and use similar methods as in Broken Sword 5, you’d propably could do it on a smaller budget.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

In the beautiful style of LSL7, but in modern resolutions?

At least 15-20 millions and almost all of that would go to graphics and even then a lot of saving would have to be done. I’m not sure people realize how time consuming/expensive traditional animation is in HD.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Bogi - 09 October 2014 04:42 AM

I’m not sure people realize how time consuming/expensive traditional animation is in HD.

It’s the donuts. Animators are second only to policemen (and policewomen!) in donut consumption. That alone will take any gaming project overbudget.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Zifnab - 09 October 2014 04:45 AM
Bogi - 09 October 2014 04:42 AM

I’m not sure people realize how time consuming/expensive traditional animation is in HD.

It’s the donuts. Animators are second only to policemen (and policewomen!) in donut consumption. That alone will take any gaming project overbudget.

Not to mention them, it’s not worth even starting if you don’t have a donut factory as a technical sponsor.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top