• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Colors On Canvas

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2014-09-22

PM

Hi everyone,

I am a fan of adventure games and I am working on my own game, thanks to the Wintermute Engine. I’ve always wanted to design and develop games, so I decided to try and learn Wintermute. Colors on Canvas is my first game and while developing this game I am also learning Wintermute.

Colors on Canvas is a bit more atypical than your traditional adventure game, mostly because it isn’t exactly an adventure game Smile Colors on Canvas is a game that allows you to explore a few famous paintings (all of them from public domain). It is an educational game, but I will also try to implement some gameplay elements.

For now, I only have two screenshots, but more screenshots and details will come soon!

I will update the topic with more information soon.

Currently working on Colors on Canvas

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Looks interesting! Especially if you really can implement adventure game stuff, I love puzzles etc. that deal with paintings or other works of art.

Joined 2014-09-22

PM

A bit more info about the three game modes.

First there is the ‘Analysis & Interpretation’ game mode. In this mode, you will examine various elements from the painting and you will receive a description that will represent an analysis of each particular element from the painting. These descriptions could be related to the painter’s style or to the story depicted in the painting, etc. In this game mode you can also simply enjoy the paintings while you explore/examine it.
Once all of the important elements are examined, you will be asked to tweet your interpretation of the painting. This will be used in the ‘Guess the Painting’ mode.

The second game mode is ‘Test Your Knowledge’ and as its name implies, it will put your knowledge of famous paintings to the test. This game mode is very similar to hidden objects games, in that each painting has added (or missing) elements that you will have to spot.

The last game mode is ‘Guess the Painting’. In this mode I will take people’s interpretation (which they tweeted using the ColorsOnCanvas hashtag) but I will also add some myself and from them, the game will randomly choose one and show it to you. You will then have to guess the painting that matches the interpretation/description. I might implement a score system, depending on how many times you guess/fail to guess.

I will soon release a short demo featuring a beta of the ‘Analysis & Interpretation’ game mode of Paolo Uccello’s Saint George and the Dragon. You can also reach me on twitter: https://twitter.com/mihaipuiucernea

@UPtimist: this is going to be an educational game and there won’t be any puzzles per se, except the ‘Test Your Knowledge’ mode which I suppose is basically a hidden objects game. I guess the game is a better fit for the casual topic of the forum, but even so I hope there will be plenty of adventure gamers interested in the game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

How many paintings are you planning to incorporate in the game?

Will there be a lot of overlap between the paintings in the three game modes, or not? (By that I mean paintings that are featured in all three modes versus paintings that are featured in only one (or two) of the game modes.)

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2014-09-22

PM

Hi,

I don’t have a number of paintings in mind. I suppose it depends on how many I would be able to implement, since I do everything by myself, in my spare time.

Regarding your second question, every painting that I will implement will be featured in all three game modes. Which is why it takes a long time to implement them (well, that and the fact that as I mentioned above, I’m working on the game whenever I find some time).

A short teaser is just around the corner. I would also like to know if there is enough interest in the concept, since educational games aren’t exactly in the top of gamers’ preferences. I am planning an Epocu campaign to see how much interest I can gather for the game.

Joined 2014-09-22

PM

I just launched an Epocu campaign for Colors on Canvas. Epocu works in a similar way to Kickstarter, only instead of money you pledge to share the game on your social networks (Twitter and Facebook). It is an easy and free way to hype upcoming games and I hope I can generate some hype this way, even though educational games aren’t exactly in the top of gamers’ preferences.

Please support if you can, it won’t cost you anything. It will help me generate some hype and you won’t have to spend a dime; just give us a like or RT. Here is Colors on Canvas’ Epocu page: http://epocu.com/campaigns/colors-canvas/

On a related note, on the Epocu page you will notice a link to the game’s pre-alpha build. For now it only features the help mode and the ‘analysis & interpretation’ mode. The hidden objects like ‘guess the painting’ mode will be implemented very soon. There is also no soundscape and music yet. I would love to hear what you think about it. Thanks and enjoy!

Joined 2014-09-22

PM

The game has a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ColorsOnCanvasGame
If you like the concept and are interested, I would appreciate it if you like the page and help spread the word.

Thank you!

Joined 2014-09-22

PM

Indiegogo campaign for Colors on Canvas will go live February 10th. There will also be a new demo featuring the ‘Test Your Knowledge’ game mode (the one that plays like hidden objects games) for Paolo Ucello’s Saint George and the Dragon.

Joined 2014-09-22

PM

Colors on Canvas Indiegogo campaign is now live: http://igg.me/at/colors
If the campaign is successful, three new paintings will be added: Christina’s World by Andrew Wyeth, The Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh and another painting that will hopefully be chosen by a backer.

There is also a new demo available, which includes the ‘Test Your Knowledge’ mode for Paolo Ucello’s ‘Saint George and the Dragon’.

If you are interested in this educational game about paintings but cannot contribute, you can still help by sharing the campaign on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.

Thank you!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top