• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A Golden Wake, a 1920s adventure from Wadjet Eye and Grundislav Games

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2003-09-09

PM

I did discuss it with GOG, but their community reacted very badly when I included “pre-order bonuses” for Blackwell Epiphany. I don’t quite understand the complaint (especially since I made the bonus items for sale when the pre-order period was over) but as a result we decided not to do a pre-order this time.

Website: Wadjet Eye Games || Twitter: @wadjeteyegames || Currently working on: Unavowed

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Oh surprised there was a backlash against the pre-order bonuses… I pre ordered it on Gog and actually enjoyed them…

Will the soundtrack be later available on Gog?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s not really surprising that GOG customers have bad reactions on stuff like pre-order bonuses and the like. There’s some pretty noisy people there who are against pretty much everything ranging from DRM to DLC. It’s a goo store, but some regulars there can be pretty annoying.

Joined 2003-09-09

PM

I believe the phrase they used in regard to the pre-order offer was “scum of corporate greed” or something like that. Smile

GOG told me they don’t sell soundtracks separately, but occasionally do “special editions” which can contain the soundtrack..

Website: Wadjet Eye Games || Twitter: @wadjeteyegames || Currently working on: Unavowed

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Might just be a very noisy minority in the end :-) Pity for all the people like me who appreciated it.

I guess I’ll end up preordering it through the humble bundle widget just to get the soundtrack. Anyway, thanks Dave for all the great games both made or published by you (my favourite is Emerald City Confidential) and I’m looking forward to playing A Golden Wake Smile

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yes, I do guess they are a minority, but as they are looking at it from fully ideological point of view, they tend to spread their opinion like its gospel. They see things in purely black and white and you either are corporate greed or you aren’t.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’m curious sometimes the humble widget accepts payment by credit card (via stripe) but not in this case. Why is that?

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

I’m fine with pre-orders, I’m not with exclusive pre-order bonuses. I make sure to always point out why I opt to not purchase something I would otherwise be interested in, so I guess that makes me one of those annoying, loud minority GOG regulars. I’ve always stuck to the “I don’t like it, so I won’t support it” stance, and vehemently reject this “they” entity and “they said” line you’re all talking about. Generalizations are bad, mmkay?

As for Epiphany’s bonuses, they haven’t been added for sale on GOG after the pre-order period. Right now it looks like you can only get the bonuses if you buy the game from Humble. What if you already own the game on GOG, can you buy just the bonuses?

Joined 2003-09-09

PM

You are right. The wording should have been something like: “the phrase a community member used.” I didn’t mean to imply that the entire community felt that way.

As for why the items are not sold on GOG… that was GOG’s decision. They elected not to sell items separately. To buy them, you do need to buy them through the Humble widget.

edit: And you know… in looking at it, it seems you can only get the bonuses if you buy the ENTIRE GAME via the Humble Widget, which obviously makes no sense. They went through some updates recently which might have caused that to happen. I will get that changed!

Edit2: I clarified my reasoning behind the pre-order bonuses (and the lack of Golden Wake pre-order on GOG) on the GOG forum here.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

DaveGilbert - 06 October 2014 11:22 AM

You are right. The wording should have been something like: “the phrase a community member used.” I didn’t mean to imply that the entire community felt that way.

As for why the items are not sold on GOG… that was GOG’s decision. They elected not to sell items separately. To buy them, you do need to buy them through the Humble widget.

edit: And you know… in looking at it, it seems you can only get the bonuses if you buy the ENTIRE GAME via the Humble Widget, which obviously makes no sense. They went through some updates recently which might have caused that to happen. I will get that changed!

Edit2: I clarified my reasoning behind the pre-order bonuses (and the lack of Golden Wake on GOG) on the GOG forum here.

I’m not sure I’d call the issue miscommunication. Same way you and some other devs chose to rebel against what you perceive as a “race to the bottom”, some consumers choose to rebel against what they perceive as a distasteful and damaging practice. Speaking for others is tricky, but I believe that had there been the option after the pre-order period to buy the base game at the regular price or the game + bonuses at a higher price, the negative reactions would have been minimal.

While GOG doesn’t sell items separately, they do offer the equivalent of Special/Limited Editions, and the option for people that own the base game to upgrade. It’s been done with Wasteland 2, Divinity: Dragon Commander and Sword of the Stars: The Pit, for example. Have you approached GOG to do something like that for Epiphany and A Golden Wake and they said no?

Joined 2003-09-09

PM

Gonchi - 06 October 2014 12:20 PM

I’m not sure I’d call the issue miscommunication. Same way you and some other devs chose to rebel against what you perceive as a “race to the bottom”, some consumers choose to rebel against what they perceive as a distasteful and damaging practice.

Could I ask why you feel that way? Why are pre-order bonuses so distasteful? I understand why withholding actual game content would be harmful, but a few extra bonuses for hardcore fans seem totally harmless to me.

Speaking for others is tricky, but I believe that had there been the option after the pre-order period to buy the base game at the regular price or the game + bonuses at a higher price, the negative reactions would have been minimal.

That is exactly what I did on my own site (although it seems to be bugged at the moment). GOG declined to do so on their site, so there was nothing I could really do about that.

While GOG doesn’t sell items separately, they do offer the equivalent of Special/Limited Editions, and the option for people that own the base game to upgrade. It’s been done with Wasteland 2, Divinity: Dragon Commander and Sword of the Stars: The Pit, for example. Have you approached GOG to do something like that for Epiphany and A Golden Wake and they said no?

We did talk about this. We plan on doing a limited special edition at some point, which will include the bonuses. We haven’t done it yet, though.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Game is out on gog.com and on Steam very soon

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Finished the game, it was a good game. It sets the stage well and it captures the roaring 20s well. A lot of work has been done on locations and it really sets the ambiance. The jazzy soundtrack fits very well. Overall puzzles were logical and a bit on the easy side (just the way I like it). So all in all it was a fun game to spend the evening with.

There’s only really one thing I disliked a bit, the game jumps quite fast from year to year and it doesn’t linger very long in any time period. The upside is that the story moves fast but the downside is that I feel that character development is lacking a bit between those time periods especially during the later parts of the game. I felt that Alfie made some life-altering decisions a bit too quickly and the part of the context for those decisions were off camera due to the jumping between years. The later part of the game also really flies a bit too fast and I felt that I didn’t really have time to appreciate what was happening.

The ending is certainly no cliffhanger but personally I tend to prefer more uplifting conclusions.

Overall I’d give it a 3.5/5. I think with Resonance (I hated the plot twist from Resonance, it destroyed the enjoyment of the game for me) , it’s the weakest game published by Wadjet Eyes.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

giom - 10 October 2014 12:00 PM

Overall I’d give it a 3.5/5. ... it’s the weakest game published by Wadjet Eyes.

Most companies can only dream of maintaining that level of consistent quality… Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Yes, saying the weakest game published by Wadjet Eyes is still be a compliment in my mind Smile And it was still 13 dollars well spent.  Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top