• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Most overrated/underrated adventure games?

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

subbi - 26 August 2014 12:51 PM
tomimt - 26 August 2014 10:37 AM

Overrated: Pretty much any Daedalic entertainment adventure. They have good production values, but all I have played just feel somewhat off to me, like I’m playing an entirely different game from what people talk about. The same goes to Pendulo games as well.

I know there is someone who’d be willing to kill ye for that one aswel Smile

You can add me on that list too… Wink

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I would actually call the entire top 5 from the AG Top 100 List overrated, now that I look at it again.  Smile

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

I’ve always had fun playing The Colonel’s Bequest, and I think it needs more love!

Also, Leisure Suit Larry 7 has always been highly regarded, but I don’t think it is always thought of as “one of the greats” like it should be,

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I can’t really think of a game that I’d consider highly overrated. I kinda agree with some here, like LSL7 which is fun but definitely not a classic, no. Also the BS games are great, but I do think they are really not on par with GK, and people compare those series a lot - some even prefer BS.

I have to also agree that Dreamfall can hardly be overrated as while it has its lovers, it also has gotten a lot of criticism, I’d rather class it as underrated, as the issues really are not that big.

With DoTT being overrated I have to disagree wholeheartedly, it’s one of the few truly comic adventures that I love inside out. It’s there with Discworld Noir and Edna & Harvey - The Breakout which are games I consider underrated, even though people usually agree that they are good. Good is just not enough when they are actually awesome. All of these games are fun to play - even when not counting the actual humour. The puzzles are great and suit the game perfectly. And their plot, and the whole world, everything is so engaging. Just wonderful games.

I also really loved the Dark Eye games and consider them slightly underrated too. Lots of people seem to bag them into “average” when they are so charming and fun that they clearly rise above that.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Underrated games,

Dune: I’m not sure it completely qualifies as an adventure game but I loved that game. I’ve always been disappointed at Cryo because I feel that none of their later games reached it in term of greatness

Conquest of the longbow: One of my favourite games by sierra. I loved the fact that there were multiple ways to do things. I’ve replayed it recently on my tablet with scummvm and it’s a very nice experience

Dreamfall: I actually really liked it… It’s got a few issues but it’s still a very nice story and really enjoyable (of course I also love TLJ)

Zak McKracken: I discovered this game late but really enjoyed it a lot. The premise is zany and fun and I think it’s a pity it didn’t get more press

Freddy Pharkas - Frontier Pharmacist is also very nice that is often overlooked. It took me ages as a kid to finish it, especially trying to read and understand the medicine booklet that came with the game (I had it in english and english is not my native language)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve actually come to like Dreamfall more over the years. I never hated it mind you, I was just mildly disappointed because of the poorly implemented action sequences. But the last time I played it through those little action bits weren’t nearly as bad as I remembered them and I just enjoyed the ride.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Overrated - GK3

Underrated - Gray Matter.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It really is hard to think of an adventure game more overpraised than season one of The Walking Dead. I’m beating a dead horse at this point but for good reason. It won all those Game of the Year trinkets and I still see it mentioned as an evolution of LucasArts adventure games. And, since I’ve clearly burned my bridges with this topic already, I hate Clementine. She’s a horrid little waif and her tears mean nothing to me. The relationship between her and the player is a vapid illusion like the branching paths that conveniently lead to the same underwhelming destination. Episode two and three aren’t bad.

To keep things not-too-old, my choice for underrated is Another Code: Two Memories. It doesn’t get talked about a lot with rarer visual novels like Ghost Trick attracting more attention. I think its strong writing and dialed-down anime style gives it the best crossover appeal for adventure gamers looking to get into visual novels. Ashley Robbins comes across as authentic, feeling her way through the world as an adolescent would. Fairly easy to play through.

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2013-05-13

PM

I’m obviously not mature enough since I find this discussion very infuriating Tongue
So I’m going to slowly back off.

Simon (the Sorcerer) doesn’t appreciate that you’re not following the news of his upcoming adventure!
http://www.storybeasts.com is the place to go for updates and such.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Another Code: Two Memories.

This is an amazing game for it’s day. First Nintendo DS game I played and I loved it. As important an adventure game as there is.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Another Code? Is that the one where you stroll around looking for a ghost and pick up items? Starting on a beach? I didn’t see the fuss about that one, really. It was very short and you basically just walk around and scroll through dialogue. Overrated, much like To The Moon.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Zifnab - 27 August 2014 07:11 AM

Another Code? Is that the one where you stroll around looking for a ghost and pick up items? Starting on a beach? I didn’t see the fuss about that one, really. It was very short and you basically just walk around and scroll through dialogue.

The creativity of interface, controls and puzzle solving was best use of DS in any AG.
Made PnC obsolete technique.

A New Beginning was way underrated, great story and topic.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

nomadsoul - 27 August 2014 11:45 AM

The creativity of interface, controls and puzzle solving was best use of DS in any AG.

So it wasn’t just pointing and clicking with the stylus instead of a mouse?

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2006-05-18

PM

Overrated: I’ll keep my trap shut here. No, I won’t: BROKEN SWORD!
(and LA Noire, too.)

Underrated: The X-Files - when this came out, I thought it was perhaps the greatest game I had ever played. I quickly realized I was in a minority. Of one.

Someone said text adventures - which while I might agree they are often thought of as stepping stones in the evolution of digital art/entertainment - I don’t consider underrated simply because there’s still a thriving community of enthusiasts and artists keeping the medium (critically and artistically) very much alive. For the “traditional” adventure community, I admit it’s a sub-genre within a sub-genre, but it’s still very active.

The Infocom classics aren’t hard to find, and beyond them artists like Andrew Plotkin (Spider and Web), Adam Cadre (Photopia), Emily Short (Galatea), and Aaron A. Reed (Blue Lacuna) are creating new classics which I always strongly recommend for anyone interest in narrative-driven games.

SORRY! Hijacked the thread.

The Cat Lady is also severely underrated. I know people love it, but it was simply astounding to me, and the best graphic adventure I’d played in years.

“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lambonius - 27 August 2014 12:26 PM
nomadsoul - 27 August 2014 11:45 AM

So it wasn’t just pointing and clicking with the stylus instead of a mouse?

No there was more to it. Its like saying all the features of DS hardware are that of mouse lol.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top