• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Most overrated/underrated adventure games?

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

What do you feel some of the most overrated and underrated adventure games are?

I will put forth:

The Longest Journey. I think adventure game fans were hungry for a new adventure game of decent quality that they swallowed this game up…But it’s really not that amazing IMO.

As far as underrated,

The Conquests series by Christy Marx. Probably two of the best done adventure games ever.

Torin’s Passage—a pretty interesting first game in what was meant to be a five game series. Wonderful blend of adult and children’s humor.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Overrated:

Telltale games since BttF (if you count them as adventures, I don’t)

1000 empty spots

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall

Myst series

Portal 1/2 (if you count them as adventures, I don’t)

Underrated:

Toonstruck

Runaway series

Hopkins FBI

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes

The Adventures of Willy Beamish

The Lost Horizon

Discworld

The Whispered World

...and many more, but this is from the top of my head

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Overrated: I would rather not say, in case it turns into yet another flame war between lovers and haters of this… Also I prefer to talk about underrated games instead, as I find it much more productive.

Underrated: I could mention several, but I’m going to restrict myself to mentioning Paradise. It is not a flawless game but it is IMO never the less a great game, and it has that special Benoît Sokal touch that is difficult to define but is nevertheless very distinctive. It is somewhat similar to Syberia, just a much darker game in every meaning of the word.

I also find that many of the German games from the resent years has been underrated, and there are many that get too hung up on minor translation errors and localization problems, instead of just enjoying the games for what they are. 

Dance Magic Dance - 25 August 2014 10:46 PM

The Longest Journey. I think adventure game fans were hungry for a new adventure game of decent quality that they swallowed this game up…But it’s really not that amazing IMO.

Bogi - 26 August 2014 03:36 AM

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall

I disagree, TLJ is my own all time favourite and fully deserves to be considered one of the best AG ever made, and as for Dreamfall then I would actually consider it a underrated game. It is in some aspects even better than TLJ though it does fall a bit short in others.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I think if you factor in time and multiple reviews there is no such thing as under or over rated. The general concensous of any product will settle on its appropriate average rating.

Of course your personal opinion may differ from the average concensous, but that doesn’t make the rating incorrect.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Lucien21 - 26 August 2014 04:45 AM

I think if you factor in time and multiple reviews there is no such thing as under or over rated. The general concensous of any product will settle on its appropriate average rating.

In an ideal world perhaps, but the world is not ideal and in reality the fame, reputation or rating of different games, depends just as much on other things like being the flavour of the day, marketing budget and skills, and the opinion of relative few reviewers.

I mean its not like we all play every single game that is being released and make up our own opinion on all of them, and thereby all take part in that consensuses.

Overexposed and Overlooked games might however be a better description than over- and underrated.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lucien21 - 26 August 2014 04:45 AM

The general concensous of any product will settle on its appropriate average rating.

That goes for definitions too. Consensus rules. And yet you said that definitions are difficult to nail.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Overrated: the first two Broken Sword games (not bad games, but imo nowhere near the all-time classics they’re claimed to be)

Underrated: Freddy Pharkas - Frontier Pharmacist (it gets overlooked far too often when talking about Sierra’s catalogue), Escape from Monkey Island (is really good, gets far too much flak for not being quite as brilliant as its predecessors), Jake Hunter: Detective Story - Memories of the Past (seriously, how many of you have played this great DS title? How many of you have even heard about it?)

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I would agree TLJ is overrated, but I never even finished it. It never grabbed me, and the dialog is pretty poorly written. I actually liked Dreamfall more in a lot of ways, even though the gameplay wasn’t my thing.

For underrated, my go-to answer was always Tex Murphy, but now it seems like those games are finally starting to get their due, at least around this site/forum.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Underrated = Graymatter (I never got the hate, the theme, backgrounds and story development was really good).

Overrated = Day of the tentacle (Bad humor, lame characters and too childish).

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Underrated = Dark Side of the Moon, one of the best FMV ever.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nomadsoul - 26 August 2014 08:47 AM

Overrated = Day of the tentacle (Bad humor, lame characters and too childish).

hehe, I know some here would be willing to kill ye for this.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Overrated is anything that is talked about and praised on here Smile
Underrated? Anything that isn’t. That obviously includes Maupiti Island, Dune, B.A.T, Morpheus, Cruise for a Corpse, Obsidian, Gateway, the Beavis & Butthead games, the Twinsen games, the Star Trek games and pretty much all text adventures ever except Zork.

...and YES, Moebius. And oh, Death Gate. And Ace Ventura. Wink

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Overrated: Syberia and Tex Murphy series

Underrated: Blazing Dragons, Beavis&Butthead; in Virtual Stupidity, Duckman, Toonstruck, Hand of Fate, Touchè - Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Underrated: Zak McKracken. It’s that Lucas game that people don’t speak of often. And fairly so, I guess, as it’s not necessarily the gem of game design, but I’ve always loved the humor of it. And it baffles me why similar sensation rag reporter angle hasn’t been used in other games.

Overrated: Pretty much any Daedalic entertainment adventure. They have good production values, but all I have played just feel somewhat off to me, like I’m playing an entirely different game from what people talk about. The same goes to Pendulo games as well.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

tomimt - 26 August 2014 10:37 AM

Overrated: Pretty much any Daedalic entertainment adventure. They have good production values, but all I have played just feel somewhat off to me, like I’m playing an entirely different game from what people talk about. The same goes to Pendulo games as well.

I know there is someone who’d be willing to kill ye for that one aswel Smile

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Underrated: Kyrandia 1

Overrated: Gabriel Knight II

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top