• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04KeybordzLady KestrelTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] The Casual Playthrough Voting Thread

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Becky - 09 August 2014 10:42 AM

For those who are preparing to vote and haven’t played a casual game before—all of these games are available on Big Fish Games. With the exception of E.P.I.C. Wishmaster, they all have demos on Big Fish so you can try them out as you are deciding how to vote.

I wonder why Wishmaster has no demo. Also, the Big Fish page for it doesn’t list Windows 8 as compatible. It might work in Windows 8, but without a demo you can’t test it before buying. Is there anyone interested in this playthrough who uses Windows 8?

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Most of the games are also available directly from the developer’s site. (Providing you know who the developer is, of course.) That said, I’ve never had a problem with the BFG game installer. I can’t comment on what Amazon and Steam do, as I’ve never bought a casual game from them. However, I have heard about some problems with developer installers. Particularly that they try to load some additional stuff. I think BFG is probably the safest way to purchase a game.

Thanks for the added research, Becky. Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

For those who are preparing to vote and haven’t played a casual game before

Personally I intent to join the playthrough, but I will leave the voting to those who actually know something about the games, instead of just blindly casting my vote.

Many of the games are also available on Amazon.com.

Amazon won’t sell games to you if you live outside of the USA, the UK or any of the other localized shops they have. Not that it is a problem as I intent to buy whatever game wins the vote from BFG.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Tim, votes starts tomorrow and finish….???

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

UruBoo - 09 August 2014 01:00 PM

Tim, votes starts tomorrow and finish….???

Voting ends next Saturday, August 16, unless there is a tie. In which case there will a final ballot a week from tomorrow.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Is there a limit to how many games we can vote for?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Since my working arrangement changed at the beginning of May I’ve had a lot more time to devote to catching up with Adventures & really haven’t played any Casual Games since then but would love to join in with a playthrough of anything that I can buy from BF games! I really don’t know what to vote for though!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hey! I’ve just had a thought - would it have helped to have had a separate thread for the proposal of a Casual Game community playthrough?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Final Nominations August 9,2014

Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood (2 nominations)
9: The Dark Side
9: The Dark Side of Notre Dame
The Emerald Maiden: Symphony of Dreams
Eternal Journey: New Atlantis
Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost
Dead Reckoning: Silvermoon Isle
House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret
House of 1000 Doors - Serpent Flame
Myths of the World - Of Fiends and Fairies
(2 nominations)
Angelica Weaver - Catch Me When You Can
E.P.I.C: Wishmaster
Mystery Case Files: Fate’s Carnival
Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes

I mentioned this in message 914, but it needs repeating: you can vote for more than one game. If there are three games on the list that strike your fancy, vote for all three. Obviously voting for every game means nothing. I will probably vote for four or five games. Two or three that I’ve played before and two that would be new to me.

One thing we didn’t really discuss when nominations started was whether the nominated games could be broken into discreet segments. I hope that is the case.

As to Chrissie’s question about having a separate thread for the playthrough…I think it’s a great idea. But I suggest we hold off creating the thread until we have a winner. Let’s say that an average casual takes about six hours to play, and the average game can be broken into five segments, (as it would be in any of the 1000 Doors games, for example,) I’m thinking the average game should probably take only two weeks to complete. Far shorter than the regular CPT. So we certainly don’t need to pin the thread.

As an aside to the above, most “real” adventure games don’t take much more than ten hours to complete once you know what you’re doing. I think Crabapple and I had to replay an entire section of Vampyre Story during a CPT because we had inadvertently triggered a game bug that wouldn’t allow us to complete the game. I think we both zipped through it in between 1.5 and 2 hours. And that represented a third of the game’s total gameplay.

Voting starts on Sunday August 10. Which for some of you living in Europe is already here!

I hope this turns out as well as we imagined it would when the idea was proposed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I was more thinking Tim that, if like me, you’ve laid off playing Casual games for a while & don’t follow the thread that you have no idea that a Casual Game CPT is being planned at all - I only peeked & saw by chance! My thinking is that if you just announced it on a separate thread perhaps there would be more interest & response?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 09 August 2014 09:03 PM

I was more thinking Tim that, if like me, you’ve laid off playing Casual games for a while & don’t follow the thread that you have no idea that a Casual Game CPT is being planned at all - I only peeked & saw by chance! My thinking is that if you just announced it on a separate thread perhaps there would be more interest & response?

I see what you’re talking about. I misunderstood, but both concepts are still great ideas. However, unlike the regular “It’s Time For a New Community Playthrough” thread which disappears into the bowels of pages past, only to be resurrected when the current CPT is finished, I think we can be a bit more efficient.

We are now in the process of “Casual Play Date #1” as Becky named it.

Before we are done it’s not big deal to copy/paste current nominations. In fact, I already have done that. Then whenever anyone says “let’s do another!” I can easily pull up the list of prior nominees, and start a “Casual Play Date #2” thread. And we go through the 2-week process of adding new nominees to the old list, voting and opening a hypothetical “House of 1000 Doors - Serpent Flame Casual Community Playthrough” thread.

Far simpler than the current CPT system which I helped “simplify” by suggesting that only the last two vote totals mean anything and all the former votes get archived.

I’m meandering. But I think your Idea(s) is are great. If you would like to, please tell us how you would put this together. Knowing full well, that if you get full support, you will be in charge.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Tim, I have no better ideas & the way you & Becky are going about presenting a CG CPT is great! I have no wish to take-over/be in charge & it was just a point about advertising as looking at the forum page gives you no idea that a CPT is being planned.
It was just a thought that all you need is one thread entitled Casual Game CPT to draw attention & one post to refer anyone interested to this thread!  Smile

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m not sure I understand what’s being proposed. Should we start a new thread now, with the nominations listed on it, have the voting, and then continue the playthrough on that same thread?

Does what I just said make sense?  Smile

And could it be “Playthrough” rather than “Play Date”? Now that I think about it, “Play Date” brings to mind memories of a bunch of feisty kids milling around in my living room.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK! Just in case there is any uncertainty, the voting will continue here. When voting is complete, a new thread will be created for the playthrough itself. If we need to modify the system for the next playthrough, we’ll do it then.

I’m going to cast my first votes for:

Angelica Weaver - Catch Me When You Can and
Myths of the World - Of Fiends and Fairies

You can vote more than once. Just not for the same game(s). Smile I, for example will probably be voting for two additional games before the voting closes. And, you can change your mind. Just send a post that says something to the equivalent of “Please change my vote from House of 1000 Doors - Serpent Flame to House of 1000 Doors - Family Secret.”

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Please place my votes for Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood and for Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can. I may vote for more later.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top