• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A look at the King’s Quest series

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I do wonder how much of it was just oversight (bad game design) and how much was intentional to sell hintbooks.

Bt

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Back in the day KQ5 always struck me as amazing graphically. I was in awe. However, I do think it the weakest of the first 6 games.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Blackthorne - 11 September 2014 04:45 PM

I do wonder how much of it was just oversight (bad game design) and how much was intentional to sell hintbooks.

Bt

I’m starting to think is was all intentional… It seems to be masterful design to allow the player to reach maximum levels of rage.
Example: I now discovered that I’ll have to start over… because of limit of saves I replaced any save that could be useful!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, I guess a lot of it might be intentional. It was with Larry 1, where Al Lowe said Sierra understood the money in hint books and after that I guess they always aimed to make at least a couple of unfair puzzles per game.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I do love KQ5; It’s gorgeous and the story is fun, but I will admit it has some frustrating puzzles.

Bt

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tomimt - 12 September 2014 07:26 AM

It was with Larry 1, where Al Lowe said Sierra understood the money in hint books and after that I guess they always aimed to make at least a couple of unfair puzzles per game.

Piracy had to with that iirc. They figured out that they were selling more hint books for Larry than there had been copies sold…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

It’s been so many years since I played KQ5 that I’ve forgotten a lot about it, but yeah, I do recall that the puzzles were quite uneven.

wilco - 11 September 2014 01:28 PM

Edit: I do like [...] the random Disney-style singing that sometimes shows up.

I guess that means you heard the ants singing. Grin

Did you also hear the weeping willow’s song? It’s easier to miss.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I could never understand all of what those damn ants were saying. For a long time I thought it was “we’re the ants, the f—-ing ants, we’re coming to ruin your day” and that was how I felt about the little buggers.  Pan

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Got past the snowy mountains, it’s surprisingly fast to reach the same point and and after that I double checked the walkthrough before leaving Serenia… The snowy mountains is surprisingly straightforward if you have all objects you need to avoid a dead end…

Caliburn - 15 September 2014 12:13 AM

I guess that means you heard the ants singing. Grin

Did you also hear the weeping willow’s song? It’s easier to miss.

Heard the nice melody, its trigger is talking to Cedric and I can’t leave a screen without hearing its “valuable” assessment of the situation Smile

Zifnab - 15 September 2014 01:25 AM

I could never understand all of what those damn ants were saying. For a long time I thought it was “we’re the ants, the f—-ing ants, we’re coming to ruin your day” and that was how I felt about the little buggers.  Pan

Grin Can’t unhear it now! Does sound like the f… ants…

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 11 September 2014 02:18 PM

KQ5 has a lot of annoying stuff in it. And it also has even more annoying maze at the end part of the game than the desert is, as the desert at least is fairly quick to navigate after you’ve mapped it down.

You must be talking about Mordack’s maze, I arrived at that part, reminds of the Inherit the Earth maze but it’s even more disorientating. I was trying to map it out but the way the perspective keeps changing made it frustrating. I’m going to just look for a map. At this point I just want to finish it to start KQ6.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

wilco - 15 September 2014 02:52 PM

You must be talking about Mordack’s maze.

Yup, that’s the one. Also, some versions of the Mordacks castle are fairly bugged. I think GOG version should be bug fixed as far as they could fix it, but it was pretty easy to bug out the whole last part of the game so, that you’d have no other choise but to load an earlier save and try again.

The whole end segment of the game is designed nothing else in mind but to artificially lenghten it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I have now finished the game (I abused the walkthrough). I have to say I found the last puzzles fascinating. I’ll not spoiler tag it because everybody has already played it, but a warning:
SPOILERS FOR ENDING OF KQ5:

- The final battle was fun, the fighting transforming animals was a cool concept and spectacle. The resolution was ok, it didn’t advance much of the family story but it did set up the plot for KQ6 already.

- The puzzle before the battle was the fascinating part. You had to use de cheese to start the wand swapping machine. Nothing wrong with that, adventure game logic but perfectly doable. But to get the cheese you had to get arrested by the castle guard (but only ONE time) and get the cheese from the tiny hole in the prison with a hook that you found or not on an harpies island ages ago.  To leave the prison you had to offer the locket (that had to get (or not)  in 2 seconds from a nest ages ago) to the scared prisoner princess before. Tangled web of dead-ends seeing you could still reach that very last moment without the cheese and any idea what you would need it. KQ5 also invented trolling! Smile

Still, despite the flaws and being my least favorite so far, the game does look and sound good. I can see how much of a technical breakthrough in must have been and it has some fun moments. It allowed it to have more of a Disney tale atmosphere, which was probably always intended from the start.

Now off to everyones favorite: KQ6!

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Woohoo! Have fun. One of my favorite games, ever. Smile

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

wilco - 22 August 2014 06:11 PM

Just played the first 3 King’s Quest games (original versions)

On the original 5.25” disks? I’ve found external USB 3.5 players which I’ve used to load the original FPFP and similar games from that era, e.g. Aman Ra. But never a player for 5.25” originals.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Oh, you’re reminding me of many details about KQ5, wilco. The way the maze perspective is always over Graham’s shoulder; the fact that you need to get arrested (which is rather counter-intuitive) in order to get the cheese. I remember being confused in those places, too. I didn’t even remember that there is a harpy island in KQ5 until you mentioned it. I guess I should revisit this game someday and refresh my memory.

wilco - 15 September 2014 12:37 PM

Heard the nice melody, its trigger is talking to Cedric and I can’t leave a screen without hearing its “valuable” assessment of the situation Smile

You are a brave man, talking to Cedric more than is necessary. Wink

wilco - 15 September 2014 06:42 PM

Now off to everyones favorite: KQ6!

Cool, KQ6 is the only one in the series that you’ve played before, right? It will be interesting to see if you have any new thoughts about it within the context of the other games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top