• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough - Angelica Weaver

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 24 August 2014 06:38 PM

Now, if you can tell me how to get rid of the excess white space between the bottom of the picture and the following text it will be greatly appreciated. Smile

Imgur is not to blame, the “excess white space” is in fact somehow included in the pic you uploaded. Maybe you used a program like Paint before uploading it and pasted the pic on a white background that was way too big? BTW, your url is a mess too.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 24 August 2014 11:22 PM

Imgur is not to blame, the “excess white space” is in fact somehow included in the pic you uploaded. Maybe you used a program like Paint before uploading it and pasted the pic on a white background that was way too big?

Tim, what program are you using for making (and resizing) the screenshots?
I could recommend the (free) program GIMP, which has almost all the functionality of Photoshop, but because of its many functions, it may not be the most user-friendly program around. Resizing and saving screenshots in whatever format you want is easy enough on it, though.
I’d actually recommend Photoshop instead, but Photoshop (if you want a recent version) is expensive.

BTW, your url is a mess too.

I fixed the url.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finding the bricks was a bit of a chore. Primarily because you don’t know how many you need until you’ve fixed the streetlight.

When I first played the game, the one I missed was the one under the sewer grate.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve played up to the stopping point. This is the second time I’ve played, and I’m paying more attention to Angelica’s comments this time. I’d forgotten how much detail she remarks about.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 25 August 2014 06:47 AM
Karlok - 24 August 2014 11:22 PM

Imgur is not to blame, the “excess white space” is in fact somehow included in the pic you uploaded. Maybe you used a program like Paint before uploading it and pasted the pic on a white background that was way too big?

Tim, what program are you using for making (and resizing) the screenshots?
I could recommend the (free) program GIMP, which has almost all the functionality of Photoshop, but because of its many functions, it may not be the most user-friendly program around. Resizing and saving screenshots in whatever format you want is easy enough on it, though.
I’d actually recommend Photoshop instead, but Photoshop (if you want a recent version) is expensive.

BTW, your url is a mess too.

I fixed the url.

Karlok is right. I’m using Paint. And even though I resized the photo, I didn’t crop it from the background. All should be good on future posts. Re: the “url is a mess” comment, All I did was copy the url from Imgur into the <A> prompt and then typed “Brick Puzzle” into the second prompt. Not sure what I did wrong there. But I’m new at this, not the seasoned veteran that you guys are. Wink

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 25 August 2014 01:08 PM

Re: the “url is a mess” comment, All I did was copy the url from Imgur into the <A> prompt and then typed “Brick Puzzle” into the second prompt. Not sure what I did wrong there. But I’m new at this, not the seasoned veteran that you guys are. Wink

The url from imgur can be pasted directly into the message. You don’t need the <A> prompt to make another url-tag around it…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve reached the 1888 London scene (playing on the ‘advanced’ setting). Went quicker than I thought it would, maybe half an hour or so? All the bricks were in my possession when I got to the brick puzzle. Must’ve been thorough.

Got 6 hints so far and 9 shields and I’ve unlocked two achievements. Not used to seeing achievements in an adventure game. Missing a few of them by the end will undoubtedly irk me… Tongue

Graphics are great, I love that there’s a reasonable amount of motion in each scene (leaves blowing in the wind, water dripping, etc.). Not so sure about constantly having my (well, Angelica’s) avatar taking up almost a quarter of the screen, though. Tongue
I’ve watched the opening cinematic again, just to get in the right mood to start the game. Cool

Blatant grammatical error in the very first line, though. “This villain has killed before. They will not stop.”
This villain => HE will not stop.

Angelica is quick to think the killer is playing a personal game with her. You really only know this after the brick puzzle, not before.

The HOG was a typical HOG. The brick puzzle was rather easy. I’m sure the difficulty will ramp up later in the game.
It’s definitely piqued my interest, am curious to see what’ll happen next, and what the connection between the present and the past is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 25 August 2014 04:02 PM

The url from imgur can be pasted directly into the message. You don’t need the <A> prompt to make another url-tag around it…

Aha! Pan That’s why you guys are the best.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 25 August 2014 06:01 PM

I’ve reached the 1888 London scene (playing on the ‘advanced’ setting). Went quicker than I thought it would, maybe half an hour or so? All the bricks were in my possession when I got to the brick puzzle. Must’ve been thorough.

I was a bit concerned about this. That is the shortness of the first three sections. But I figured it was better to err on the side of caution when first-time casual players were participating. Depending on thoughts about this, it would be very easy to combine the next two sections.

Graphics are great, I love that there’s a reasonable amount of motion in each scene (leaves blowing in the wind, water dripping, etc.). Not so sure about constantly having my (well, Angelica’s) avatar taking up almost a quarter of the screen, though. Tongue

I’ve watched the opening cinematic again, just to get in the right mood to start the game. Cool

I’m glad you are enjoying the graphics. In addition to the leaves, etc., there is also a small amount of left and right scene shifting available. Which I think adds “believability” to the first-person POV as scene observer.

Blatant grammatical error in the very first line, though. “This villain has killed before. They will not stop.” This villain => HE will not stop.

Grammatical error indeed! I’ll try to keep mine to a bare minimum. Although I wonder whether this was an unintentional slip by the copy editor who might have been thinking too far down the road when this line was edited. More suspense. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Whether it’s a grammatical error is debatable—at least, that’s my understanding of the situation. Language is a living thing, and the English language is always changing.

It used to be acceptable to say “he” and mean “he or she”. Now that’s not acceptable to many people—some people feel using the pronoun “he” as a general term excludes an entire gender. Fewer people complain if you always use “she” and never “he.” But that’s still excluding an entire gender.

To be fully accurate would mean using both pronouns: “He or she will not stop,” or “She or he will not stop.” Kinda slows up the sentence. So it’s rapidly becoming acceptable to use “they” instead.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It is definitely a grammatical error - the difference between third person singular and plural.  Unless the speaker means a group, he or she shouldn’t use they.  It would be just as silly to use the singular he when talking about a group.  In the game, it would have been better for the developers to use a noun for the subject, such as the culprit, suspect or criminal.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Haha, I just have to share this.

Finally found a tranquil moment to start the game and then immediately ran into problems. The opening sequence was very laggy and jerky, I almost felt nauseated (the 1,5min intro probably took more than 5 mins). I watched it through but was wondering that it shouldn’t really be that bad. Then the menu was jerky too. So I checked the intro video from online and it definitely ran like 20x smoother.

Was already cursing a bit here what to do but I checked the Steam forum (yes, I purchased the CE from Steam while back when it was really cheap) and someone mentioned that plugging in an Xbox controller fixes the issue. So I just started mine up and voilà, it runs smooth immediately. Strange are the ways of the computer sometimes.

Now I don’t have much time to play anymore but I’ll peek in a bit.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 25 August 2014 06:29 PM

Although I wonder whether this was an unintentional slip by the copy editor who might have been thinking too far down the road when this line was edited.

Spoiler??? Tongue

Becky - 25 August 2014 07:50 PM

To be fully accurate would mean using both pronouns: “He or she will not stop,” or “She or he will not stop.” Kinda slows up the sentence. So it’s rapidly becoming acceptable to use “they” instead.

But that feels wrong. “These villains” are “they”. “This villain” is “he or she”.
If this is what the English language is changing into, I’d call that devolution rather than evolution. And English isn’t even my first language!

millenia - 26 August 2014 04:13 AM

someone mentioned that plugging in an Xbox controller fixes the issue. So I just started mine up and voilà, it runs smooth immediately. Strange are the ways of the computer sometimes.

Reminds me of the time when movement in the first Mass Effect game would suddenly become jerky (where turning to your side would be a three-step move instead of one fluent motion). Turned out it was because I had my Guitar Hero controller plugged in. The second I unplugged it, Mass Effect ran normally…

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just got to London 1888. I had missed a couple of bricks, including the one in the sewer, when I got to the puzzle but they were easy enough to find when I back-tracked.

I didn’t think to use the cellphone for light to start with either!

I love the graphics & the atmosphere of the game & am intrigued by the present & past connection so far!

Blatant grammatical error in the very first line, though. “This villain has killed before. They will not stop.”

Angelica is quick to think the killer is playing a personal game with her. You really only know this after the brick puzzle, not before.

Sorry Timo, I have to disagree on both points. On the 1st, it’s not a grammatical error as although ‘they’ is a ‘plural’ word it’s also acceptable in the context of the sentence to use it to refer to one undefined person - Becky is right! On the 2nd, Angelica makes a comment about things being personal when she enters the workshop & sees the loom I’m sure! Laughing

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I agree that Angelica’s use of “they” as a singular pronoun is perfectly fine in this usage. This blog entry has some interesting historical context and also some information on the current status:  http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2013/01/they-2.html

I have a more topical question. Is the second body a real body or the ghost of a body?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top