• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest announced (Re-imagined by The Odd Gentlemen) 

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zane - 12 August 2014 02:19 PM

re-imagining = it wont be a traditional point and click game, id wager.

It’s usually said when there’s the reboot in a story, or a new installment after a long time. It’s not necessarily connected to the game mechanics.

jfrisby - 12 August 2014 01:11 PM

I’ve only seen videos of The Odd Gentlemen’s other games, is there reason to believe they’re capable of something actually resembling an adventure game?

No, and that’s my only concern. Not only it’s an indie studio, it’s a studio that haven’t produced a single full-fledged adventure game. Perhaps they’ll capable on taking such a big bite. Only time will tell.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Such exciting news, I really hope the heart and soul of KQ however stays intact.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 12 August 2014 02:30 PM
jfrisby - 12 August 2014 01:11 PM

I’ve only seen videos of The Odd Gentlemen’s other games, is there reason to believe they’re capable of something actually resembling an adventure game?

No, and that’s my only concern. Not only it’s an indie studio, it’s a studio that haven’t produced a single full-fledged adventure game. Perhaps they’ll capable on taking such a big bite. Only time will tell.

They don’t really have a lot of work before but PB Winterbottom is very good, puzzle platformer with emphasis on great puzzle design and charming story, so I think they have what is takes. I’m more worried about them working on this and the Homestruck adventure game at the same time, sounds much for a indie team.

The talk in the blog about the setup of King Graham telling his adventures to the grand daughter does sound like it could be episodic.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-05-25

PM

“A Sierra game fit for both the old and new generation of King’s Quest players”

Now how are they going to pull that off lol

King’s Quest was known for its “hard puzzles” and lot of old fans are going to be expecting the new game to have those types of puzzles.

I don’t know how they are going to please both hardcore fans and casual players with this game.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nomadsoul - 12 August 2014 09:57 AM

it is a fully “reimagined”

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah im expecting either tomb raider and/or zelda style game play, with some walking-dead-like “adventure” elements.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Lambonius - 12 August 2014 11:38 AM

The phrase “interactive narrative” terrifies me.  Let’s hope “engaging puzzles” trumps it.

Big publishers don’t like the term “adventure game”. That said, I’d be surprised if this was a traditional point & click.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

zane - 12 August 2014 07:14 PM

Yeah im expecting either tomb raider and/or zelda style game play, with some walking-dead-like “adventure” elements.

If that happens, I will post a video of myself literally eating my adventurer’s cap.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Lambonius - 12 August 2014 08:35 PM

If that happens, I will post a video of myself literally eating my adventurer’s cap.

you might want to get some salt ready Tongue
They did use the phrase “fully re-imagined”

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

roxas11 - 12 August 2014 06:50 PM

King’s Quest was known for its “hard puzzles” and lot of old fans are going to be expecting the new game to have those types of puzzles.

It was? I think it was known for its unforgiving dead ends, random deaths, and unfair “read the designer’s mind” puzzles (throw pie at yeti, anyone?) more than for cleverly hard puzzles. And I say that as one of the biggest King’s Quest fans around. We accepted this gameplay in the 80s/90s because it’s what we knew, but I think purposefully making a game like that today would be a big mistake.

To me King’s Quest means a sort of sappy, family-oriented story strongly rooted in fairy tales and other known literature, that takes King Graham or one of his relations on a quest through new lands, usually to save someone who’s in trouble. I could care less about being stumped by hard puzzles (in fact, I hope I’m not).

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

What do you guys think about the team of the odd gentlemen?
Their Winterbottom game got decent reviews, although it was not a true adventure game. Their wayward manor was poorly received though. I’m actually surprised they were chosen to revive KQ. Very curious to see if it will be a TTG style game, light on puzzles, or a game in the style of KQ6 (my alltime favorite btw).
But then again, I enjoyed tales of MI, a rebout of MI by TTG, so I’m not that skeptical yet.
Time will tell….

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Please, let’s not get started on the “why the pie-in-the-face puzzle IS logical” argument again.  Wink  The problem is not that the solution is illogical, the problem is the ease of being able to entirely miss or lose the pie before you ever get to the spot where you need it.  It IS a crappy puzzle, to be sure, but not because it doesn’t make sense.

Nobody wants ridiculous nonsensical puzzles.  Engaging, multi-step puzzles that really make you think, YES please.  Give me ALL OF THOSE PUZZLES.  But badly telegraphed, moon-logic puzzles, no thanks.

I want to be stumped, at least temporarily.  If an adventure game never makes me stop and think at all, never leaves me scratching my head and having to come back to it after a break, then it’s a failure in my eyes.  The puzzles don’t have to be super hard to do this, but they do need to be clever enough that the solutions aren’t immediately clear.  I should never be able to play a new King’s Quest game in one sitting.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Lambonius - 12 August 2014 10:34 PM

Please, let’s not get started on the “why the pie-in-the-face puzzle IS logical” argument again.  Wink  The problem is not that the solution is illogical, the problem is the ease of being able to entirely miss or lose the pie before you ever get to the spot where you need it.  It IS a crappy puzzle, to be sure, but not because it doesn’t make sense.

Why is being able to lose the pie a problem? Let’s say you decide to eat the pie. You’re supposed to be an adventurer, right? Shouldn’t it serve you right if you need it up in the mountains? The game is just weeding out inferior adventurers. Would you prefer it treated everyone like children or idiots? Lucasarts never let the player take responsibility for their inventory - it was always “you can’t do that”. Sierra spoke for freedom and we need to keep that. Reviving Sierra without that element is worthless.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Zifnab - 12 August 2014 10:50 PM

Why is being able to lose the pie a problem? Let’s say you decide to eat the pie. You’re supposed to be an adventurer, right? Shouldn’t it serve you right if you need it up in the mountains? The game is just weeding out inferior adventurers. Would you prefer it treated everyone like children or idiots? Lucasarts never let the player take responsibility for their inventory - it was always “you can’t do that”. Sierra spoke for freedom and we need to keep that. Reviving Sierra without that element is worthless.

I don’t disagree with you.  I wouldn’t design a game today with such a blatant dead-end possibility though.  Having an alternate solution that gave less points (like the violent/non-violent solutions from the first 2 KQ games) would have been the best way to do it.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Kings Quest 2 I finished in one day, but I remember as a boy playing the original Kings Quest for months and months trying to figure it out. All of the puzzles I had to really think about, and it had this awesome feeling of adventure… so I hope this new Kings Quest has that sense of freedom to do things how you want - as Lamb said, the violent or non violent solution to puzzles - to be able to swim, climb, etc.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top